1200 cals a day?

Options
Is it okay to net low as long as I'm eating 1200 calories a day?

For example:
today I've eaten 1213 calories and I've burned 906 from working out.

When i complete the day it doesn't warn me or anything

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    EAT THOSE BACK! You want to net 1200 a day. Your body NEEDS that fuel!

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#calories
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Yes=eat, No=You're probably fine. :)
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Everyone says you should. I don't though.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

For example:

No. This would be the same as eating 307 calories. Would you ever think eating 307 calories is okay?
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Just listen to YOUR body. If you are hungry you have room to eat a little more, if you aren't hungry, then don't worry about. I am also on a 1200 calorie goal and I rarely eat back my exercise calories. I found when I did I gained weight. You just have to find what works for YOU.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I was told you are suppose if you're doing intense strength training,however I don't eat more than 1250 and burn 300-800 (depending on the day) but If you're hungry after your workout then eat, if not don't. Also if you plateau, you might have to change up your calorie intake and different exercise regimes.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Ask your Doctor or call a personal trainer at a gym. They can talk to you over the phone and give you advice. I would talk to your Doctor first though.

I can't imagine myself eating back all my work out calories it's too much food for me.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eat foods that will fill you up more that has low calories. these are foods with high protein and fiber. so if you eat 1200 cals and u don't feel hungry than thats fine. also make sure to eat a balanced meal to keep you vitamins and minerals in check. and if u do exercise than eat those cals as well, cuz you don't want to starve your body, cuz that will set off other biochemical pathways that u don't want.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about it and was told as long as I am trying to lose weight not to eat them back. That I fueled my body with 1200 by eating and that the exercise will eat off my fat.
  • LeihaS
    LeihaS Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm never really hungry by the end of the day- sometimes I have to force myself an apple or something just to reach my 1200.
    I always make sure not to be under 1200
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    listen honey bun.... if u began to eat below or not give ur body the amount of calories it needs .. it will go into starvation mode.....now dont get me wrong ... u will lose weight but what u will be losing is muscle mass.... which is wayyyyyy bad..... ur energy is stored in ur muscles so when u eat too little ur body began to basically eat itself starting with the muscles...... i know if ur burning that amount of calories and eat those amount of calories... ur energy levels have to be low.....im just saying .....but i do wish u well on ur journey......
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Yes=eat, No=You're probably fine. :)

THANK you. I agree.. I hardly get over 1200 a day and unless I'm dying for a snack I don't worry about it.. I lose just fine too and the Doctor says I'm very healthy.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

For example:

No. This would be the same as eating 307 calories. Would you ever think eating 307 calories is okay?

i agree....
  • sachinpise
    Options
    Hey... Actually I am doing the same. I remain at 1200 per day. I burn around 800-1000 Calories everyday. And I don't feel hungry and even the site tells that 1200 is minimum and if you are looking at weight loss then I think you should be fine. But make sure you don't go below 1200 for sure. That will weaken you and then problems starts... All the best for your weight loss target...
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Everyone us different, you have to figure out which is best for you. I believed everyone when they said eat those back and boy were they wrong. As long as I eat my goal intake I don't care what the net is. But what I do know is, going as low as 1200 will get you to lose up to a certain point, but you will eventually plateu. And since we are brain washed to believe less is more it will be a mental battle to eat more to lose. By far my favorite it calorie zig zagging, keeps the body guessing never adapting and losing far not lean muscle mass. For more tips check out Burns 2b Beautiful on fb:-)
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    NO! Speaking from experience...I started REALLY dieting and exercising in May with a goal of losing 15lbs by my birthday (Oct 8th)..which I thought was a very reasonable/doable goal. I was playing cardio tennis 3 days a week consuming 1200 cals/day and burning between 700 - 1200 cals/day. So there were days where my net calories were in the negative. I thought I was on my way...turns out the total opposite! I lost and gained the same 4-6 lbs til Oct. I worked/sweat myself to death! I went to see a nutritionist and he told me that my body was going into "starvation mode" or whatever you want to call it. The bottom line is my body was storing everything I was eating because I was burning MORE than I was taking in! Talk about frustrating! You should have 1200 NET calories and no less (that's coming from the dr and Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper's books). Anything less is harmful. Your body needs the fuel. That's just my experience and I think it's important to share so that hopefully the same thing won't happen to you. Good luck!
  • LeihaS
    Options
    i'm just confused because I thought as long as you didn't go under you were okay- and you just had to burn 3500 to lose a lb of fat

so i fuel my body w/ a healthy 1200 calories, work out 5 or 6 times a week and lose weight

I saw jillian talking about weight loss on the Drs the other day and her plan was to eat 1200 calories- she didn't talk about net at all
  • Kermit1976
    Options
    I will be here confused to.. cause i was not eating my excercise calories then i read i am suppose to then i read i am not...
    oh what is a girl to do...
    i am worried on how the heck am i suppose to eat over 2000calories.. but then i look back and not eating much i wasnt loosing the weight toning up yes but weight wasnt really going any where...
    will keep an eye on this thread...
  • LeihaS
    Options
    I'm worried i'm gonna make myself sick by making myself eat my calories back

I'm just not hungry at all...

my husband said we should do protein supplements- like meal shakes.

he burned 1400 cals today and i burned almost 1000
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    i'm just confused because I thought as long as you didn't go under you were okay- and you just had to burn 3500 to lose a lb of fat

so i fuel my body w/ a healthy 1200 calories, work out 5 or 6 times a week and lose weight

I saw jillian talking about weight loss on the Drs the other day and her plan was to eat 1200 calories- she didn't talk about net at all

You're forgetting that you burn close to 2000 a day just by living. 3500 = 1 pound. That's 500 a day to lose a pound a week. So your 2000 + 900 in exercise = 2900. So you should eat 2400 a day when you work out, 1500 a day when you don't. Got it?