1200 cals a day?

Options

Replies

• ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found this site that explains it so much better....... http://www.acaloriecounter.com/calorie-counting.php
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options

No. This would be the same as eating 307 calories. Would you ever think eating 307 calories is okay?

That makes NO sense. exercising does not erase what you ate. During weightloss the main function of eating is to provide you with nutrients like protien, vitamins and so on... The closer you are to your goal, the more exercise cals you *may* need to eat to prevent starvation mode, but for people with a lot to lose, it takes a lot more than that to put you into starvation mode... thats why you burn fat.
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow. I must have been in starvation mode for the past 4 1/2 months. Shouldn''t I be dead by now ? I guess being able to lift considerably more weight and being able to run for an hour nonstop is how your body tells you that you are starving? :p

Just eat when you're hungry. Supplement your low cal diet with proper nutrients and vitamins. Don't make yourself sick worrying about reaching a calorie goal ;)

lynch away~
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go and read the pinned thread Links in MFP you want to read again and again.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

No. This would be the same as eating 307 calories. Would you ever think eating 307 calories is okay?

That makes NO sense. exercising does not erase what you ate. During weightloss the main function of eating is to provide you with nutrients like protien, vitamins and so on... The closer you are to your goal, the more exercise cals you *may* need to eat to prevent starvation mode, but for people with a lot to lose, it takes a lot more than that to put you into starvation mode... thats why you burn fat.

It makes perfect sense. Calories are energy. You burn energy when you exercise. Why do you think you measure burned calories? The body will turn the protien into energy. It won't use it on muscle building because it needs it as fuel. Sure you get more vitamins by eating 1200 and burning 900 than you do by eating 300 but that's not very different than eating 300 and taking vitamins. Still not healthy, probably not sustainable in the long term.

I don't even buy into "starvation mode". That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about approaching weight loss in a healthy sustainable manner. It's not a race. It's not a contest to see if you can eat as little as possible and burn as much as possible. A successful diet doesn't feel like a diet. Severe calorie restriction causes extreme low energy, insomnia, head aches, your hair to fall out, your nails to crack, severe loss of muscle tissue, digestion issues, etc... And it just sucks. I like food. I like real food, sugar, red meat, egg yolks, cheese, milk, etc.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

It makes perfect sense. Calories are energy. You burn energy when you exercise. Why do you think you measure burned calories? The body will turn the protien into energy. It won't use it on muscle building because it needs it as fuel. Sure you get more vitamins by eating 1200 and burning 900 than you do by eating 300 but that's not very different than eating 300 and taking vitamins. Still not healthy, probably not sustainable in the long term.

I don't even buy into "starvation mode". That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about approaching weight loss in a healthy sustainable manner. It's not a race. It's not a contest to see if you can eat as little as possible and burn as much as possible. A successful diet doesn't feel like a diet. Severe calorie restriction causes extreme low energy, insomnia, head aches, your hair to fall out, your nails to crack, severe loss of muscle tissue, digestion issues, etc... And it just sucks. I like food. I like real food, sugar, red meat, egg yolks, cheese, milk, etc.

I agree with this one!
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I had issues with this as well. Do I eat those exercise calories back or not? LOLI talked to my trainer and he has me eating like every 2-3 hours. He has me on high protein, lower carb and the right fats. He says that eating more fats than carbs reserves lean muscle and burns fat whereas if you deprive fat your body burns muscle instead. He also has me eat a cheat meal every fourth day for supper. I think this helps keep your body from going into starvation and also helps me stay on track knowing I have something to look forward to. I have only been doing this for about a week. I plan on giving it a month and seeing what my results are measurement and scale wise to see if it's working for me.

I just log my meals on here and acceptt whatever the intake numbers are at the end of the day. I am not worrying about the net.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Read and re-read this sound advice:

"I'm talking about approaching weight loss in a healthy sustainable manner. It's not a race. It's not a contest to see if you can eat as little as possible and burn as much as possible. A successful diet doesn't feel like a diet. Severe calorie restriction causes extreme low energy, insomnia, head aches, your hair to fall out, your nails to crack, severe loss of muscle tissue, digestion issues, etc... And it just sucks. I like food. I like real food, sugar, red meat, egg yolks, cheese, milk, etc."

Live by this approach and you will succeed.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I see you're at 150, so what you are saying makes sense for YOU. Like I said the closer you are to goal the more you'll need to eat back exercise cals. Thats what I plan on doing eventually. But for me and some others, at 269, I got a LOT of energy reserves and I am not very likely to go into a starvation mode. Personally I eat 1500-1700 per day and burn between 700-1200 per day. I have tons of energy, never feel hungry, no headaches, my hair is fabulous, sleeping like a baby, never been stronger, and I get to eat great food to boot. If that changes, so will I. My Dr. Says I'm doing great, and I'll take his advice over yours thank you very much. I fully plan on enjoying my exercise cals when I hit onederland, but for now this is doing me great!
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I see you're at 150, so what you are saying makes sense for YOU. Like I said the closer you are to goal the more you'll need to eat back exercise cals. Thats what I plan on doing eventually. But for me and some others, at 269, I got a LOT of energy reserves and I am not very likely to go into a starvation mode. Personally I eat 1500-1700 per day and burn between 700-1200 per day. I have tons of energy, never feel hungry, no headaches, my hair is fabulous, sleeping like a baby, never been stronger, and I get to eat great food to boot. If that changes, so will I. My Dr. Says I'm doing great, and I'll take his advice over yours thank you very much. I fully plan on enjoying my exercise cals when I hit onederland, but for now this is doing me great!

I so agree with you Chickie_20.....my DOCTOR told me not to eat them and I am sure he knows what is best for me. Believe me I am gaining muscle too....I can feel my muscles more then ever. :o)
  • kimber_av
    Options
    I'm never really hungry by the end of the day- sometimes I have to force myself an apple or something just to reach my 1200.
    I always make sure not to be under 1200

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! Make sure you are getting enough protein and nutrients. As long as you intake a healthy diet and you dont feel hungry, there is no sense in eating. Your body is the best advice giver to listen to. the problem with americans is they eat by a clock or by "rules" hence they are mostly over weight. Your body knows exactly what it needs when it needs it. so listen to it. if you get hungry or crave something- eat. its your body telling you it needs it.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Listen tou your body! Eat more if you are hungry, and don't if you're not.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Sooner or later, your body will recognize that you are starving yourself and your weight loss will stagnate, this will be made worse by the fact that when you eventually start to eat right again, you will have tricked your body into thinking it might starve itself again and it will convert more of the food into fat stores instead of muscle. If it says eat 1200kcal and you burn around 800 then eat 2000kckal
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I so agree with you Chickie_20.....my DOCTOR told me not to eat them and I am sure he knows what is best for me. Believe me I am gaining muscle too....I can feel my muscles more then ever. :o)

Hunny thats the fat being burned off so you can actually see the muscle.. It takes a calorie surplus, lots of protein, plus a lot of heavy lifting to gain muscle.. You can't gain muscle in a week or a day or a month even.. it takes a long time to gain muscle.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Le sigh. Okay. If you are eating 1200 calories a day, burning large amounts (over 300) and do NOT feel hungry, weak, or generally crappy, good for you. I hope you get the results you desire. I'd be interested to see how long you can / do continue in this manner and what happens when you reach your goal and stop eating this way.

ETA: Yes, I AM implying i do not think this type of diet is sustainable for the majority of the people who try it and I think people who engage in this diet tend to have a higher chance of regaining any weight lost. But maybe it does work for some people.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

The problem with approaches like this is that while yes you will lose weight but the majority of that is going to be muscle instead of fat and I don't know about you but i have no desire to lose weight quickly if it's going to mean i'm just a pile of mush when i get there.

I'd rather do it right and reach my goal in a healthy manner and look good naked.
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on the person and their body + what works for them. When I first lost my 40lb I stuck to 1200 calories and lost 35 of it before I hit a plateau. The weight never bounced back on and my body never went into starvation mode. Nowadays though, that is totally different. In order to maintain my weight at the moment I "must" eat 1200 calories + a few hundred more with proper carbohydrate/fat and protein ratios spaced out - And if I don't I actually start to gain.

The reason why this is happening now though is because there has been lifestyle changes since I first started losing. I'm more physically active (without exercise) on a day to day basis, and if I don't include something extra gradually over time I notice an increase. As soon as I up my calorie intake again, my weight goes back down. I would suggest on your weekly weigh in that when you record it, you also look in your diary; what you have eaten and if you notice much difference between higher calorie weeks and lower cal ones. This is how you will start to recognise your own needs. Just because you're not hungry doesn't mean that your body doesn't need the extra fuel necessarily. I'm one of those people that doesn't get hungry easily, so I could literally go without for more than half of the day if I wanted to (but would never do).
  • lschramm
    lschramm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm never really hungry by the end of the day- sometimes I have to force myself an apple or something just to reach my 1200.
    I always make sure not to be under 1200

This drives me nuts! Most of us are here for the same reason , we're fat!! Certainly we didn't have a problem eating calories in the past, so why now??
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I won't call myself an e pert bit I will say that I've done tons of research on the subject. Is it healthy or ideal to approach wright loss in the way you mention? Absolutely not BUT if you have no desire of maintaining on more then by all means continue the way you are. You say 1200 is enough to satisfy you so any metabolic damage doesn't matter since you're not hungry for more calories.

Weight loss will likely be a greater percentage of muscle with a 1000+ calorie deficit but you will lose weight. You will probably be more prone to wright regain than someone who takes a moderate approach but the risk is yours and if you don't mind eating 1200 forever then you have nothing to worry about so long as you make nutritious choices and take a multi vitamin but I will warn you...after a while of restricting your calories you might change your mind about 1200 being sustainable.