How do you deal with unsupportive partners....?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand completely. I was recently accused of becoming a picky eater. I replied, "Yup. I want to live a long life and I'm not putting garbage into my mouth anymore. You might want to consider doing the same."
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Difficult when you love someone to split up but then i gotta love myself more....
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is exactly the same.. I mean identical.. He'll eat either pizza or curry every night while I'm stuck with a pre-packaged healthy meal.. it sucks.. Just talk to him and tell him straight that either he needs to start supporting you or i'm sure with your new figure you can easily find someone who can :)

I did that and it scared him so much he now makes every effort to treat me like a princess :D

Good luck!!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My partner lives on Coke, eats practically no veg (unless I sneak it into something), no fruit but lots of chocolate and sweets. That is his choice. He is really skinny because he had an op on his colon many years ago and has very little left. My point is, even if I were skinny I wouldn't choose to eat like he does, so I ignore it and just try to slip him some healthy food when he isn't looking!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My slimline partner eats the healthy meals I put on the table in the evening and eats his junk food lunchtime when he's at work. So I suppose I'm lucky. :happy: However he did say last night I can really feel you lost some weight Skinny *kitten* LOL :wink:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I think he is scared that if you lose weight and look hot you will leave him, so he is sabotaging you.

I would say give him one last chance, tell him how his attitude makes you feel, that his lack of support is hurting you and spell it out, men can be VERY thick sometimes, I can never assume that mine understands what I mean as he thinks in such a different way. Although he is hugely supportive and we are doing this together, tell your boyfriend that he MIGHT be skinny but his diet is adding fat to his heart and blood that will catch him in the end just as much a a big belly.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There must be some good reasons that you're together, right? I wouldn't consider a relationship so "disposable" that you can just toss it out and get another. Check out a book called "the five love languages". If HE really enjoys eating, maybe he's showing his affection for you by offering you food. Explain to him what's important to you. If you don't let him know, he just won't know (unless he's psychic). Let him know how he can support you. We guys perceptive things much differently than our better halves....
    This is a great recomentdation. It is a great read and help you understand how people express love and feel love differently. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Read the ancient Greek play Lysistrata. You will figure something out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata
    :laugh: Clever.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Then he will offer me one and I will say no, then he will ask again and I will say no and then i am accused of being moody!

Or he will ask what I want for tea and I will say 'emmm salad 'and he will say 'o I want pizza'

Definitely hear you on these....although my DH prefers Chinese to pizza....then buys enough to last 2 days....and don't even get me started on the pies he eats :grumble:

Sue :smile: x