Exercising with glasses...

Options
lynn1982
lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
Hi Everyone,
This might be a really dumb question, but for those of you who wear glasses and exercise regularly, how do you do it? Do you run with your glasses on? Weight lift with them on? I'm an avid contact lens wearer, but after contracting an eye infection (gross, I know!), I now need to refrain from wearing my contacts for a little while. I hate wearing my glasses, especially if I'm sweating, and I have no idea how to exercise with them. I've seen people at my gym remove their glasses while on the tread mill, but I'm afraid of not being able to see clearly. So, what do you all do?

Replies

• trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i wear mine
  • Selva_Jim
    Options
    I had pretty a similar situation early this year, and I haven't really got back into wearing contact lenses yet even though I am allowed to do so.

For some repetitive exercises / postures, I just take off my glasses until I'm done. I don't really have any trouble with them on the treadmill or elliptical, but anything where I need to tilt my head or lean forward causes them to fall off my head! In those cases I just set them aside for the duration, then put them back on.
  • tjm615
    tjm615 Posts: 11
    Options
    I dont wear mine. It seems like i waste more time keeping them up than doing the exercise. So, during this time i dont wear them
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i wear mine while i work out, that includes running and weightlifting. i take them off when i do squat thrusts because i'm moving so much i end up almost knocking them off anyway, and i'm blind as a BAT.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses at the gym, I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing otherwise! lol
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik surgery about 6 months ago (LIFE CHANGING!!!), but before, I would have to wear my glasses when exercising. I would get sweaty and they would slide down my nose, but without them I couldn't see a thing.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i wear them i wouldn't be able to see what i was doing otherwise!
    ps any ideas on them getting foggy would be helpful and how to stop it?
  • ali139
    ali139 Posts: 17
    Options
    Reading this made me giggle because I was asking myself the same question last week. I got conjunctivitis, which meant no lenses for over a week :( Anyway I wore my glasses at the gym, it wasn't ideal but I took them off, within 5 mins of getting on a piece of equipment once i had set my workout time/level etc. then put them on to move to the next. That worked best for me. But I also tried leaving them on one day, it just meant i had to clean them through my workout. Overall there not a nuisance unless you're trying to box. I needed them to see but they kept moving while i was trying to punch.

Give it a go, it will probs not be as bad as you think it will.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I wear mine for walking, running, zumba, and aerobics. Sometimes I take mine off during Yoga only because the poses don't really make room for them sometimes.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've always worn my glasses, and I'm a certified optician. If they are sliding off while you exercise, go see your optician and get them re-fitted. It could be they are just loose and need a little maintenence. Unless you're doing contact sports, they should be fine for everything you do!

I will say, I love the prescription running glasses I invested in this year. Perfect for outdoor running!!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I wear mine until my face gets too sweaty & they start to slip down my nose. At that point, I prop them on top of my head. I sure would love to hear a great solution to this problem. Fortunately, I am near sighted, so I can see near me pretty well.
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    I take mine off because as long as the object is big I feel I am fine without them. Also I find when I sweat during exercising while wearing my glasses it leaves them feeling icky and bacteria begins to build up especially with them behind your ears. I usually shower afterwards then put them back on. But if you want to wear yours just make sure you put your hair in a ponytail so it doesn't get too uncomfortable...after a while you get used to it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can get straps that go on the earpieces of your glasses and go around the back of your head to keep them from falling off. I don't remember what they're called, but they're easy to find at pharmacies, WalMart, whatever. I don't work out with my glasses, but my vision isn't that bad, and I'm not going out running. If I were running, I'd probably wear them because I'm near-sighted, but then I'd get one of those strap things.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to wear glasses when I excercise but I haven't in over 2 years now. It was too annoying dealing with them slipping off my face when I get sweaty. Contacts only and lucky for me I haven't gotten any infection or anything yet. When I did wear them I just coped. I am blind and unless I am reading a book, I will get a bad headache if I don't wear glasses/contacts after a while.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I wear them.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try it later today and see how it goes. And just in case, I think I will stick to running on a treadmill...
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate wearing my glasses while exercising.....*runs off to replace her abused daily wear contacts....* I'm blind without corrective lenses too. Those prescription running glasses sound like a good idea though, have to look for them! :smile: I think they make swimming goggles too, don't they?
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If they fit properly it shouldn't be a problem. I wear mine aleways while running or elliptical but they do become annoying during yoga with certtain poses then I remove them.
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    i always wear my glasses no matter what im doing aerobics, workouts, walking, running, if yours fall off they may be too loose for your face and you may need them tightened. Good luck
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Funny that you posted this. Last month I had terrible allergy eyes and putting in my contacts was not an option. I had to wear my glasses while doing aerobics. I debated for a while what to do. I didn't know how that was going to go over, but actually it was not that bad at all. If I took them off I wouldn't be able to see so I opted for seeing. The only time they bothered me was when I was on the floor working on abs. Looking to see the next ab move was a bit tricky because of my position. I was looking under the rims at the instructor which was blurry... but other than that, it wasn't as bad as I expected. They stayed on my face too while doing high impact aerobics. Wear them so you can see and do your exercises properly and safely. Hope your eye infection is better soon! :flowerforyou: