embarrasing problem........

2»

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Metamucil works great.

Metamucil only works great if you drink enough water with it. If you don't drink enough water, since it's a bulk laxative, it will just stay in one big bulk and stop you up even worse.

Even if I eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water, my system still doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me. I take a cascara sagrada every day and it really helps to keep things moving. You can find them at any herb store or in the vitamins section at most pharmacies.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Fiber is great. But good fats such as avacado and olive oil in your diet helps a LOT. These good fats helps MOVE things along real good :)
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Very same thing happened to me. I increased fiber by taking flaxseed, then started drinking steaming hot water w/lemon in a.m., then when very little happened, I took stool softeners. When my nutritionist finally called me back, she said I wasn't eating enough 'food' and to be sure to eat all the calories set for me. Shortly there after, and only eliminating stool softeners, things began to move. Good luck.:happy:
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 467 Member
    Thanks to all your replies. Not enough fiber seems to be my prob. Will work on it tomorrow.xxx
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    I eat something fatty or sugary (not healthy) about 1 or 2 times a week and that seems to help me. :) Just don't use stimulant laxatives (like Exlax). If you have to use something, take Milk of Magnesium or Miralax.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Plenty of water too. Too much fibre will just make the problem worse, loads of water will get things moving. Lol!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Smoking helps with that.

Huh?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    The thickest, darkest coffee you've ever had. 32 ounces should do it.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    I had the same problem when I first started MFP. I used stool softeners for a couple days and that helped the problem get going. After that didn't need them anymore. Eat lots of fiber, fresh fruits and drink the water. It will get going again.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 467 Member
    How can smoking help with constipation... Dying to know the answer....
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Probiotic yogurt is good as a long-term solution too (e.g. Activia). Probiotic yogurt promotes healthy bacteria in your GI system. I like to add a few spoonfuls on my high-fiber cereal in the morning. For even more fiber, top the cereal/yogurt with raspberries (fresh or frozen). Raspberries are yummy but have lots of fiber.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Smoking helps with that.

Huh?

It's a stimulant. Lot's of smokers are super regular because of the nicotine.

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/nicotine-withdrawal.php#constipation
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    KFC always cleans me out in a pinch...I call it 0 calorie foods because of the excessive output.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    I consume a lot of fat...and purposely do not eat a lot of fiber, so my body does not rely on fiber to keep things moving. Works for me.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Eat a kiwifruit every morning with breakfast :) - be careful with fibre cos the wrong type will make it worse