Why am i not loosing??

Options
124»

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating more N.E.A.T. into your day? Like taking the stairs, standing more than sitting, Parking farther away from the stores you go to. I read somewhere that a lot of times after people work out, they actually become a little complacent and it could add to plateaus. That's just my opinion though.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA!!

Yeah true, atm im just trying to loose weight!!
    i can focus on being super healthy later on, but being this obese just the fact of loosing weight is the biggest priority for me now :-)

hrrmmm i do drink ice cold.. think i might change that.. lol...

I can't understand why someone wouldn't choose both weight loss and becoming healthier at the same time. Very do-able and actually makes weight loss easier. I hope the OP will change her mind and decide to accept good advice from those of us who have successfully achieved weight loss and better health.

It also seems odd to me that people who have successfully lost weight try to help someone struggling to do so but we're the ones who are wrong? Huh? I've lost 60#, am still losing, and still read these types of discussions in order to learn new things from the other successful people here. The wealth of healthy tips and tricks seems infinite.

And, btw, the temperature of the water theory is wrong. If anything, drinking cold water would burn a bit more calories as your body heats the water while digesting it, kinda like someone burns a tad more calories when they are in a colder environment in order to heat themselves. The calorie burn is negligible and wouldn't be an effective way to burn calories to achieve weight loss or fitness but, there ya go.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Others have already talked about the nutrition aspect-and admittedly I haven't seen the diary, but I got a gist of it from reading the posts. I'll just say that lean protein and fruits/veggies work for me, low sodium and low fat. There are times when I just want something salty and fattening and I don't deny myself that, you just have to know it's not something you should eat all the time.

As far as the exercise goes, well just like with food, it's not all the same. One person's idea of exercise is not the same as another persons. If I don't burn a minimum of 10 calories/minute while doing cardio (depending on the machine or exercise)-I don't consider it a decent session. But we're all different. 3 hrs of something like stationary bike is equal to about 1-1.5 hours of elliptical or treadmill (for me). This leaves me with a free hour or so to strength or weight training as well.

If you are new to weightloss and eating healthy it can be confusing and daunting. People on here are merely giving opinions and the majority of us are not in the health profession field. Go talk to an RD or someone who can help you with the proper foods to eat, and portion sizes as well. And if you can have someone help you out with an exercise plan. And lastly, educate yourself. I used to work in a bookstore and I would read all kinds of books on the nutrition that food gives you; fruits, veggies, nuts, meats etc. I'm not a nutritionist or RD but I know how to eat (even if I don't do it correctly all the time).

Diet and exercise comes down to this; work smarter not harder. Make your time at the gym really count, and don't screw it up by unheatlhy eating.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    "
    I want you to consider a common female client. *snip*

Wow. :flowerforyou:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you tried spelling it right it would happen.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA!!

Yeah true, atm im just trying to loose weight!!
    i can focus on being super healthy later on, but being this obese just the fact of loosing weight is the biggest priority for me now :-)

hrrmmm i do drink ice cold.. think i might change that.. lol...

I can't understand why someone wouldn't choose both weight loss and becoming healthier at the same time. Very do-able and actually makes weight loss easier. I hope the OP will change her mind and decide to accept good advice from those of us who have successfully achieved weight loss and better health.

It also seems odd to me that people who have successfully lost weight try to help someone struggling to do so but we're the ones who are wrong? Huh? I've lost 60#, am still losing, and still read these types of discussions in order to learn new things from the other successful people here. The wealth of healthy tips and tricks seems infinite.

And, btw, the temperature of the water theory is wrong. If anything, drinking cold water would burn a bit more calories as your body heats the water while digesting it, kinda like someone burns a tad more calories when they are in a colder environment in order to heat themselves. The calorie burn is negligible and wouldn't be an effective way to burn calories to achieve weight loss or fitness but, there ya go.

OP: Do you realize that by eating healthier you will naturally lose weight? Limiting the processed, fast foods and eating more lean meats, veggies and fruits will not only help you lose the weight but will also make you healthier? Seems like a two for one deal there, no?

I truly believe you want someone to say to you "It's okay to eat crap" and when you aren't getting that response - you are continuing to deny there's a problem. I see a lot of people in this thread who have been successful at weight loss and they are offering you advice and recommendations. All of which, you seem to be fighting against.

Let's be honest - we all wanna eat the good stuff, but eating the good stuff is what got us to this website to begin with. I'm not saying you have to go the rest of your life without the things you enjoy (I don't.. I'm an everything in moderation kind of person) but you have to make some hard changes at the begining of this journey if you want to be successful. Is it easy? Heck no. I loved Mt Dew - but I gave it up because I knew I'd be healthier and lose weight without it. YOU have to want this. YOU are looking for an easy way out (Hydroxycut). Easy ways out are NEVER successful in the long term. If they were - NONE of us would be here!

I think you need to take a step back and seriously consider whether you're ready for this journey or not. I don't think you are. I think you're ready for the results that come with this journey - but you aren't ready to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve that goal.
  • hayes1311
    hayes1311 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Id like to say to all of you, that i lost 1.5kgs this week, just cos im not 100% perfect doesnt mean im not doing it right!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Good for you. I hope you keep it up. But don't come on here and ask for suggestions then get mad when they are given.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I hope you keep it up. But don't come on here and ask for suggestions then get mad when they are given.

...agreeing with this wholeheartedly... Youre definitely not doing this 100%, in fact, maybe, you are doing 20%......and hopefully you will have stopped eating the fast-food, the many lindt-chocolates and many preprocessed Boost shakes because that will always catch up with you....always...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I'm sad that you came here looking for advice but then deny that any of the suggestions have validity. Well, it sounds like things are working for you and you're happy with the status quo then, right? If not, please be open to the help people are trying to give you. Sometimes just a few tweaks work wonders and, since we're all different, you never know what tip will help you.

If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all..

Listen - no one here was nasty to you, no one was taking jabs at you, and the quoted post here was VERY nice to you... simply put, please be open to the help people are trying to give you. And YES, sometimes just a few tweaks work wonders - not all tweaks will work for everyone because we are all different...

And with all due respect, you had McDonalds foods more than one given time. If you document the processed versions of food without dedicating the type to using your MFP account to actually log the real foods you claim to have consumed, then you are actually jeopardizing yourself....

I looked at several pages of your log - and yes, you eat alot of processed foods, alot of high fat, high simple carb, high sodium foods - youre not eating 90% healthy at all. Im talking from 14 years experience working in the Healthcare industry, youre not eating well at all for yourself.

If you cant admit to the fact that you do turn to fast food more than you do, you will continue to jeopardize yourself. If you continue to consume foods with high sugars/high bad fats/high simple carbs/high sodium, you will continue to jeopardize yourself. Youre not eating consistently, just like I previously mentioned, and just like others have mentioned as well. You would benefit GREATLY by doing better meal planning and sticking to the times you have your MFP account set up. The more healthier, balanced meals you spread out (go for 200-250 calories per meal), with REAL food and not junk, you will do yourself much better....

Someone recommended going to a Nutritionist - I 100% agree with that. You would definitely benefit with learning how certain foods affect the body, how all the processed 'garbage' out there is in fact, counterproductive to weight loss, the fact that eating on a consistent schedule is beneficial for optimal physical and mental functioning using real foods...

Youre either in this 100%, or youre not. 10% of what we do on MFP is the mere logging of what we ate. The other 90% is all up to you to make better food choices and Im not seeing that right now for you.

Seriously, you really need to be thankful for everyone here who has been EXTREMELY kind.... there have been other threads where people like yourself would be attacked, cut down, made fun of, and accused of being stupid (Ive seen this) for making several bad food choices and then bite you back because your OP said "why am I not losing".....

Im very pleased to see everyone here being genuinely helpful and kind - youre just not acknowledging that at all.... That unfortunately is a problem YOU have to deal with on your own, if you dont want anyone's help....

We can see the truth, do you?

This.....very well said.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    LOSING.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So You're not LOOSING weight. Probably because you're logging your calories incorrectly due to being illiterate.

I see it spelled like this all the time on this message board. It makes me kind of nuts to be honest. :noway: I'm not saying I spell every word correctly every day, but this seems to be a constant on here.
  • hayes1311
    hayes1311 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WOW! get OVER it! not like as tho this is a damn spelling bee!! geez!!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    WOW! get OVER it! not like as tho this is a fkn spelling bee!! geez!!

Dude. Watch your language.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    WOW! get OVER it! not like as tho this is a fkn spelling bee!! geez!!

Dude. Watch your language.
    It obviously isn't a punctuation bee either.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Are you doing cardio and weight training? Whats the level of intensity? You try measuring your progress instead of weighing in?

I notice this a lot with heavier people, they tend to lose inches before they see a difference on the scale.
  • AntonysMamma
    Options
    Congratulations on all that exercise!... I can't say for you, but from my experience when I started exercising that much (I was training for a 1/2 marathon) I also started gaining weight. I was SO hungry after exercising I ate, when I probably should have drunk water and waited to cool down.
    The other point to consider is muscle weighs more than fat so you may be getting fitter and toning your fat into muscle but not losing any weight yet. This has also happened to me. When it did I was so frustrated. But if this is the case your clothes will start fitting better really soon! (Which is always nice)

Best of luck
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    The other point to consider is muscle weighs more than fat so you may be getting fitter and toning your fat into muscle but not losing any weight yet. This has also happened to me. When it did I was so frustrated. But if this is the case your clothes will start fitting better really soon! (Which is always nice)

Best of luck

Sorry but you are wrong.. Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. They both weigh the same, but the amount of space they take is different...
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you are wrong.. Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. They both weigh the same, but the amount of space they take is different...

Thanks for this. My inner engineer dies a little bit every time somebody says that.

More importantly than just the difference in density, muscle requires more energy to maintain than fat does, so more muscle = more calories burned as a part of one's basic metabolism.

OP, keep at it. Time and patience are the key here. For me, it's not about "losing weight". It's about changing my habits in pursuit of a healthier, happier life. These changes don't happen overnight, and they don't come easily. Keep it up, and when / if you fall off the wagon, get back on.