Whole 30 - November Challenge (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quick question! Most mornings I'm not in the mood to eat. I used to just eat a bowl of cereal since I assumed I needed to eat something but now I'm just really not in the mood for any foods I am able to eat being Paleo/Primal. Is it fine if I just wait til lunch if I'm not hungry? I know once in a while this would be IF but what if it's almost every day? Thanks!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Quick question! Most mornings I'm not in the mood to eat. I used to just eat a bowl of cereal since I assumed I needed to eat something but now I'm just really not in the mood for any foods I am able to eat being Paleo/Primal. Is it fine if I just wait til lunch if I'm not hungry? I know once in a while this would be IF but what if it's almost every day? Thanks!

Check out leangains.com There are plenty of people who do IF everyday. If you are satisfied eating that way, have energy, are still eating enough the rest of the day and just generally are meeting your goals, go for it!
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Hope everyone's Wednesday is going well so far. I'm about to go eat my lunch at the picnic table again, it's still flipflop weather here which makes me enormously happy! I have been incredibly protein-hungry lately, not really sure exactly why that is but I'm going to quell the craving with quite a bit of rotisserie chicken.

It's flipflop weather here too! Can you believe its still warm in November?

Well, it usually is still warm here in November more often that not. We've got a bit of a cold front blowing through so tomorrow I will have to wear real shoes :P
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I'm still in! I started in the middle of October so I don't have new starting info just yet! I need to buckle down for the last half of my month though! I've had too many bumps in the road so far. I got my husband on board so I'm now cooking this way for both of us, which really helps. Good luck to everyone!

Yay for getting your husband on board! I can't get mine to be on board on his own 100% but at least eating at home everybody plays along.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    NSV Report:

For those of you who haven't met me yet, I'm a single mom recovering from being disabled/sedentary for many years and have only recently recognized that I am becoming an athlete. I lift Kettlebells, I walk/hike everywhere the bus doesn't run to the tune of 9-15 miles per week with my 6 year old daughter alongside. Every now and then, I take a rest day. I am learning to listen to my body both for the fuel it requires and for the movement that suits it best at any given moment.

We live in Seattle. November in Seattle is usually rainy and often cold. Blankets that we haven't needed since March/April are getting pulled from their seasonal storage and dotting the house in conveniently. They invite cuddling, napping and taking it easy between 'wooly mammoth hunts' and other protein/fat procurement.

Today, as I set resting under an old favorite blanket, getting reacquainted with the idea of stillness, something seemed odd about said blanket. I thought through the grief fog and then it hit me...I haven't had my beloved green and black blanket out in at least 7 months. The last time I snuggled under it, I hadn't gone Primal/Paleo yet. The blanket looks much longer and wider than I recall it being...then...it hits me...

I have lost *so* many inches since going Primal that the blanket covers a LOT more of me. A whole lot more. Hee hee. I am melting and the old blanket is an even better friend now that there is so much less of me to warm. I remember how hard it has been most of my life to find clothes to fit, blankets and towels that were ample enough and how isolating that felt.

Now I am increasingly more connected to a growing community, clothes are much easier to find at more affordable prices and my favorite blanket is more useful and snuggly than ever...and so am I.

Tomorrow I train a client who can't wait to drop and do pushups or heft a kettlebell. How on earth did this happen? I found my comfort in the Paleo community because of Grokette and many others who were already here when I was just a newbie. You all held out a hand to me and offered me friendship. I did the research, I shifted my WOL, removing one hazardous behavior after another until life began to be sustainable and even successful.

Thanks everyone! I am going through a tough moment in my life but it is so good to know that I am strong enough to get through it rather than getting stuck in it. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone.

Hugs.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Grokette, I too agree you should stay as the leader :)
    RW What a great NSV :D
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    Raw dairy is carb free? Really? Got any links explaining it a bit better?
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    oh yes burns. I splashed my wrist the other night and ended up with some nasty blisters :( Must learn to be careful LOL
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Raw dairy is carb free? Really? Got any links explaining it a bit better?

cream and butter are mostly fat and usually no carb.. milk , cheese, yogurt etc are not carb free.
  • TrufflePig
    Options
    I am in - no ifs, ands, or buts. No excuses. Ready to kick butt in November and change my life!
    This way of life works wonders for me but not if I don't commit 100%. I'm finally ready to.
    Thank you to everyone who has kept this group going!

November starting stats:
    Height: 5'2
    Weight: 163
    Waist: 32.5"
    Hips: 41"
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    NSV Report:

For those of you who haven't met me yet, I'm a single mom recovering from being disabled/sedentary for many years and have only recently recognized that I am becoming an athlete. I lift Kettlebells, I walk/hike everywhere the bus doesn't run to the tune of 9-15 miles per week with my 6 year old daughter alongside. Every now and then, I take a rest day. I am learning to listen to my body both for the fuel it requires and for the movement that suits it best at any given moment.

We live in Seattle. November in Seattle is usually rainy and often cold. Blankets that we haven't needed since March/April are getting pulled from their seasonal storage and dotting the house in conveniently. They invite cuddling, napping and taking it easy between 'wooly mammoth hunts' and other protein/fat procurement.

Today, as I set resting under an old favorite blanket, getting reacquainted with the idea of stillness, something seemed odd about said blanket. I thought through the grief fog and then it hit me...I haven't had my beloved green and black blanket out in at least 7 months. The last time I snuggled under it, I hadn't gone Primal/Paleo yet. The blanket looks much longer and wider than I recall it being...then...it hits me...

I have lost *so* many inches since going Primal that the blanket covers a LOT more of me. A whole lot more. Hee hee. I am melting and the old blanket is an even better friend now that there is so much less of me to warm. I remember how hard it has been most of my life to find clothes to fit, blankets and towels that were ample enough and how isolating that felt.

Now I am increasingly more connected to a growing community, clothes are much easier to find at more affordable prices and my favorite blanket is more useful and snuggly than ever...and so am I.

Tomorrow I train a client who can't wait to drop and do pushups or heft a kettlebell. How on earth did this happen? I found my comfort in the Paleo community because of Grokette and many others who were already here when I was just a newbie. You all held out a hand to me and offered me friendship. I did the research, I shifted my WOL, removing one hazardous behavior after another until life began to be sustainable and even successful.

Thanks everyone! I am going through a tough moment in my life but it is so good to know that I am strong enough to get through it rather than getting stuck in it. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone.

Hugs.
    congratulations! that is a major victory.. you are becoming half the woman you used to be..lol literally! such a great feeling!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    :love: welcome back to trufflepig. :)

hmm, having munchies creeping up on me since last night. Like a little pest one munchie nags me to eat something crunchy. lol, back to chewing gum. I think it's the cold weather that has hit. We went from 85 to 51 overnight. I'm not used to cold weather anymore!

Started enjoying the chickory coffee receipe from RW on the Oct30 thread. The vanilla extract adds so much flavor! Warmth! :)
    Heading to Baton Rouge LA this weekend, and I have CA at the end of the month, and VA for the christmas holiday. I'm wondering how tough it will be to get a good diet strategy in CA, and what to do with the temptation of REAL boudin sausage? :tongue: That stuff is addicting to say the least. I have to research my food options, and def will be hitting up some good seafood place tomorrow night.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hey folks!

@ResiliantWoman Your story is really incredible and I'm glad you're noticing all the ways your body is changing.

@busywaterbending Chicory coffee.... YUM! I have been using a thai spice herbal tea with some chicory in it. I should probably just make my own. I used to love Roastaroma from Celestial Seasonsings but, because it has roasted barely in it, it is probably not gluten free.

I went out to eat last night with my husband and some of his colleagues. I had no say in the restaurant, but I made do. I had a giant blackened salmon salad. There was definitely sugar in the vinaigrette (should have asked for it on the side), but I left feeling nicely satisfied instead of overly stuffed.

My latest finding is that, while I'm just looking to maintain and not lose, I think fat has been coming off of my stomach and NOT my butt and chest! I have an apple shape and I feel like I gain weight fastest in my stomach (and my face). Whenever I lose weight, I feel like the stomach is the most stubborn. But not lately. It might be my imagination, but I'll take it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am here and reading mostly.

I am suffering from severe depression from the Vitamin D deficiency and had some severe heart palpitations. My actions, words and thoughts yesterday were not leading by example and for that I apologize.

I am feeling a little bit better today and hopefully will get to feeling much better day by day. I am going to just have to take it one day at a time.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options

I am suffering from severe depression from the Vitamin D deficiency and had some severe heart palpitations. My actions, words and thoughts yesterday were not leading by example and for that I apologize.

I am feeling a little bit better today and hopefully will get to feeling much better day by day. I am going to just have to take it one day at a time.
    We understand Grokette... take care of yourself and feel better
  • jamk1446
    Options

Glad you're still here in whatever capacity you can do.
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Vanessa here. I've been switching to paleo the last couple of months, removing foods from my diet. And i've been reading a lot about wheat/gluten and have removed that from my diet as well. Wheat is hard, fluffy bread.. oh. But my body loves paleo and it's been great for my weight loss as far as the last 10 lbs go.

My boyfriend has been a great sport, eating whatever experimental dinners I make. Although he'll ususally add a side of rice lol.

I've lost 75 lbs and i'm finally whithin my last 10 lbs! It's a crazy thought for me, and I'm loving the thought of paleo cause it's great for your body, it's not a "diet" and it will get me to where my body needs to be.

I'm glad to have found you guys!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Vanessa here. I've been switching to paleo the last couple of months, removing foods from my diet. And i've been reading a lot about wheat/gluten and have removed that from my diet as well. Wheat is hard, fluffy bread.. oh. But my body loves paleo and it's been great for my weight loss as far as the last 10 lbs go.

My boyfriend has been a great sport, eating whatever experimental dinners I make. Although he'll ususally add a side of rice lol.

I've lost 75 lbs and i'm finally whithin my last 10 lbs! It's a crazy thought for me, and I'm loving the thought of paleo cause it's great for your body, it's not a "diet" and it will get me to where my body needs to be.

I'm glad to have found you guys!

Welcome Vanessa!!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and welcome newcomers If any are newer than I am lol RW that is an amazing story :)
    Grokette everything is ok I am glad you are the leader and hope you are feeling better soon.

Cooking dinner so I will check in later.
    Mary
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options

When I was first diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency, on a scale of 33-100 being 'clinically normal' but 60-80 being a minimum according to the latest research for avoiding mood related problems from brain dysfunction and cancer risk, I was at a 4. A freaking 4 can cause *serious* brain function issues. I was depressed to the point of suicidal ideations over nothing. I was frequently anxious and had heart palpitations. The majority of physicians (endocrinologists, internal medicine doctors, neurologists, behavioral health, etc.) were sure that I was depressed and didn't attribute it to stomach or GERD.

It was all created by chemical imbalance due to poor nutrition. I had everything to live for, had spent years in therapy and this wasn't something therapy could make a dent in. Even though I was eating clean (as I understood it pre-Primal), nothing I had done repaired the years of damage to my digestion. The only thing that would have worked was correcting the deficiency. My physician didn't bother to explain this to me. Perhaps he didn't understand. He put me on megadoses of Vitamin D and I didn't get any better. They say it takes time when in truth, it doesn't take time it takes the *ability to digest* your food and your supplements which we often lose when eating and living according to the CW.

I needed 8 tablets of Betaine HCL to replace missing stomach acid *each time I ate* a meal, the result of eating grains and processed foods. I also used ACV, herbal bitters, digestive enzymes and DGL to heal my entire digestive system. Now my stomach is more hearty and is beginning to make its own stomach acid but still needs the HCL supplement for some meals or when I am under a lot of stress. Eventually, I hope to heal out of the need for any of the supplements but am content to be in such better shape. I had to quit eating all plants and stick to lots of fats and moderate proteins initially. After 60 days of taking the HCL, my body began to absorb the Vitamin D efficiently and I became able to eat cooked plants and some berries. Now I can also manage some raw foods on a hot day when I am very active. So if I feel like a salad, I eat one. If vegetables don't appeal, I stick to fat, meat, bone broths, herbal teas, coffee & chicory, etc. The chicory has inulin, a fiber that is a prebiotic and is helpful along with coconut oil for healing guts.

Now instead of struggling to get my blood levels up to 60 (this was true for 2 1/2 years of mega dose therapy from 2009 until September 2011), I am have a healthy Vitamin D blood level of 110. This is fine as far as I am concerned, especially going into Fall/Winter here in Seattle.

The mood issues didn't disappear until I got my blood levels above 65. I experienced uncontrollable sobbing and rages while I was deficient.

Now even in grief, I am not having mood issues. I am safe, healthy and more resilient than ever. Life is enjoyable and hope abounds. There is no way that I could have gotten to this place of wellness without the Betaine HCL to help my body utilize the Vitamin D.

YMMV
This discussion has been closed.