I had a major realization today...

Options
13»

Replies

• ShannaDBowser
    ShannaDBowser Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, a group of friends and I went to the local Renaissance Faire. I wore this cute floor length plaid skirt, green tank, and a dark green corset. I thought I looked great! ... and then I saw the photos a friend took while we were there. It made me want to scream and cry. I have this mental image of myself that seriously does not match my outside, so I know how you are feeling.

Here's the photo: catalyst.jpg

Since I've actively started using MFP, the forums have been a source of encouragement for me, as have my friends. I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks and hope to continue the tread. Every journey has a catalyst and a first step. That photo can be your catalyst and your first step was joining MFP. Welcome to the fold and we'll help you how we can.
  • NiennaMarie
    Options
    I felt exactly the same, I never realised how big I'd got either but once I'd seen it I used it to take control of my eating habits and I am now determined to get it off. Don't get too down about it, use it now as your motivation to get fit and healthy and get the weight off!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Saw your reply but I just wanted to chime in another "you're not alone!". I was in the same place about 2 years ago. My body image was pretty good - knew I was overweight and needed to be better about eating right and exercising not just for weight loss but for my health as well (cholesterol levels creeping up & family history of heart disease). I think the difference was that I'd started feeling bad about how i looked and not having cute clothes to wear when I met up with friends. I even started avoiding the scale and I'd been a regular weigher for years! But really, it was the pictures from a couple of trips I took in 2009 that were the final straw. Who was that woman?!

Glad you're able to turn this in to motivation!
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    I would love more people to reply. It makes me feel good to know i am not at this alone and there are others out there willing to lend a helping hand to someone who has fallen. I hope others can connect here and feel the same way i do now. I have never in my life felt so much support and love from people ive never even met and i want others to feel the same. I want everyone to know the power word have. I feel like i finally got the shove that i needed to change my life, you all have changed my life. You have given me the courage to change my life, to become the person i have always felt inside and show the world who i really am. Thank you<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I know how you feel totally. And today is day one to improving your life and being happy with how you look. I didn't realise how big i had got, or how my fiance could love me. It's hard to hit this low but now it's time to pick yourself up and start a new journey.

I don't know what made me decide to loose weight, like proper loose weight and not just say it. Once that thing clicks you will be well away, believe me and it sounds like it may have clicked for you :o)

MFP is a great place for help, support and advice just be true to yourself and believe me you all of a sudden realise where and how you were going wrong! There will be bad days and hard days but you can do it.

Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me YOU CAN DO IT!

Vikki
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Crying won't help. Those tears will not wash away the pounds. Exercise and a healthy diet will. You know what you need to do, so wipe away the tears and get started. The sooner you begin, the sooner you will succeed.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think that the catalyst for a lot of people was seeing a picture of themselves....I know that it was for me.

Use that picture as motivation. think ahead to halloween next year and how smokin' hot you're going to look, then work your butt off to get there!

You can do this. You know you can

x
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. Last year was my first year of college, so of course I gained the "Freshman 15". By Christmas when I got to see a lot of my friends from high school again, I could tell they could tell I was heavier and the pictures taken then were HORRIBLE. Over the holiday break I started to get serious about losing that weight. To some people, and extra 15 or 20 pounds might not seem like a lot to lose compared to 50 or even 100, but losing any amount of weight takes hard work and support from people who understand.

STOP WALLOWING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I know that seems impossible but it's not. It's definitely not easy and you WILL mess up somewhere along the way; I do all the time. But it's important to keep going. Good luck!
  • Kslice39
    Options
    You are all amazing and it warms my heart to know that perfect strangers would put themselves out there to support me. thank you all :)
  • slenderagain
    Options
    Oh, I can relate! I had been on MFP for a few days and had lost a few pounds by Halloween. I don't know why, but when I start losing weight all of a sudden I just FEEL skinny. Even though I look exactly the same. So when I saw photos from Halloween, I was so disappointed that I didn't look as skinny as I felt. It totally messed with my head, too, because today I just said to heck with it and ate a whole bunch of Halloween candy. :(

I'm back on the wagon tomorrow and I'm just going to power through it. Just remember that the people in our lives love us for who we are, and people who see us all the time don't notice our fat when they see us. Because to them, we just look like us.
  • Tardis17
    Options
    I couldn't pass by without sending you a hug. I hope you're feeling better and more positive now.

Think of that photo as your starting line, imagine stepping over that line and starting to head towards your goal. You can do this! Take one day at a time and stick with it. Find all your strength, take a deep breath and hold your head up high because you're going to show everyone who didn't support you or ever called you names exactly what you're capable of. Ignore them and do this for you. (((HUG)))
  • Kslice39
    Options
    Find all your strength, take a deep breath and hold your head up high because you're going to show everyone who didn't support you or ever called you names exactly what you're capable of. Ignore them and do this for you. (((HUG)))

Thank you :) that was very inspirational! Because of all the wonderful and amazing people on here like you, this is exacty what I plan on doing. I am going to show all those who doubted me and even show myself that I CAN do this! We can ALL do this!!!! With the love, support and encouragement from eachother we can conquer this obesity epidemic and hange our lives for the better! I can't express the graditude I have for people like you willing to lend a helping hand to a perfect stranger and help them up to their feet, Thank You <3<3<3<3<3
  • Tardis17
    Options
    So glad you're feeling positive! :-) You've made the first step so just keep going. There's so much great advice and support on here. XxxX
  • Kslice39
    Options
    I just want to say that i feel so empowered and motivated! Everyone is so inspirational! All of the weight loss success stories and encouraging words makes me want to work nonstop to live a healthy lifestyle! I just feel so addicted to being healthy, like i cant get enough of MFP, gym time, looking up healthy recipes, etc!!! I hope this feeling of empowerment stays with me throughout this journey!