ladies: how can we compliment without it being creepy?

Options

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    As a guy I think it's OK compliment general appearance.

" That dress looks nice on you"
    "That color looks good on you"

Or something similar. Don't get specific about a specific area or use there word "hot" or "sexy" or anything as aggressive as that.

It seems best to keep it simple and a little more general.

Good advice. ^^^ I agree -- sometimes focusing on specific parts can be perceived as creepy.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    its all about the voice....we are flattered most of the time and not creeped out unless you cross the line :bigsmile:
    I love when a guy says he likes my perfume or hair....:flowerforyou: it is sweet when guys notice all the work we take to feel beautiful
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Personally, I've never had an issue with the compliment.. it's the strange maniacal laugh and air hump I do right afterwards that sends creeper signals.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just don't lick your lips while you're paying the compliment
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    IRL body language can play in to it ... if you sweep up behind me and I can feel you sniff my hair, don't compliment me on it...

But in general, a simple "Nice Abs.. hard work.. blah blah" is fine .. as is "Your perfume smells very nice" .. are totally acceptable and awesome, IMO. I think people should give more compliments when they're due.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just say what's in my heart! I thy to be cordial and if they have a nice body i definitely will say something. i try to stay OFF the creepy list. I can get carried away at times.

Once you get to know them and they are cool with you normally they let you violate them on Fridays! lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Creepiness is mostly created by the receiver. Say what you want, but be prepared to duck!

False.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't call her stunning or darling when you compliment a woman on here, I think the creep factor is very low.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely a way to compliment without being creepy. The two examples you gave are both fabulous and very probably wouldn't be taken as creepy. Now, if you were to send an essay going on about the way that person's abs glistened or how very seductive that perfume was ... that's creepy.

A simple compliment, though? Welcomed and appreciated.:smile:

Having said that, you look absolutely incredible!

I'll second this one!

Recently I was trying out a new perfume...can't seem to find one I like for the fall/winter season. While out shopping, I had a gentlemen compliment it....I did blush and laugh a little b/c I'm a geek about taking compliments LoL however I just said thank you and was NOT creeped out, made me feel good
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't call her stunning or darling when you compliment a woman on here, I think the creep factor is very low.

What's wrong with "stunning" and "darling"? All the best creepers I've met on here opened with that line..

Oh wait a sec...

Nevermind.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    For instance: A message saying "You sure do got a pretty mouth" is not the way to go when complimenting a lady. Neither is it impressive because you've screwed the whole line up from the movie douche!

.....based on true events :laugh:
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. But I always add in there"Not to be a creep or stalker, but....." I have yet to have anyone say something like "don't stalk me" or anything like that. It's all in the delivery.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I often wonder this... both on sites like this one (where there are a lot of attractive people showing off attractive bodies) and just in every day life. As a guy, how can I give a woman a compliment without it being creepy or a come-on or whatever else.

Say I see a profile pic of someone showing off their abs... can I send them a simple message saying "Hey, great abs!" or "wow, nice abs... your hard work is really paying off!"

If I'm inline behind someone at Target and I notice their perfume, can I say, "I like your perfume"?

Is there even such a thing as an innocent compliment any more?

Yes. There is such a thing as an "innocent compliment".

On a site like this, where everyone is working on their health and fitness, it is perfectly proper to congratulate someone on their weight loss, say they are looking great in their new photos, have worked hard on their abs and it shows etc

Don't forget people posted their photos on the website for a reason ... they want to share their accomplishments with the rest of the forum.

As far as elsewhere is concerned, co-workers comment on my appearance from time to time. They are like brothers. It isn't scary, and no offence is meant or taken.

As far as commenting on somebody's perfume, I think it depends on the situation. You could start off by saying, I hope you don't mind me making a personal comment but ...

In the past I have commented to strangers (I am female) on the colours/texture of their jacket etc. They have smiled and thanked me for the compliment.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i think you could say any of those listed, and not even register on my creep-o-meter. i tend to like dirty comments, and take them as compliments, though even with that, it's easy to cross the line. i always send an email, warning that i like to talk dirty, that i cross some lines, and that i occasionally talk about sex. almost everyone is cool with it, and they let me know not to censor on their behalf. but, i got a message back from one guy saying he wanted to see me naked, and that he was stroking to my pics. THAT crosses even my line!

so don't say that, k? thanks.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

TOLD YOU! I'm creeptastic...

darling.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Absolutely OK to give compliments. You are going to find some people (women and men) who can't accept them for whatever reason.

And, in case you were also wondering, it's also OK to open a door for a woman. I appreciate it and I'm sure I'm not alone there.:smile:
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    if there is any doubt, just don't compliment. if you know that they are married or something, i don't think it's appropriate.

and for me, it's not about creepiness....i like a great compliment as much as the next girl. it's more about appropriateness. JMO. ;)

IMHO, a compliment has nothing to do with interest. And without interest, married or not, has no bearing.

Would you also suggest a married man has no business complimenting another woman? I know some women will feel that way but I'd suggest it's their own insecurity that makes it not Ok.

A simple smile with a few kind words can really brighten someone's day. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone wanted to brighten someone's day?
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your heart seems to be in the right place. If whatever compliment you pay is received as anything else but a compliment, then it is the receiver's problem and shame on them. Please don't let some people and their "issues" keep you from paying compliments. It really feels good to get an innocent, honest compliment.

I don't like when men stare at you as if you are walking past them naked. Just don't do this, LOL

Be well
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    if you want to compliment someone, go ahead. things said or done are always interpreted differently from person to person. you can't let someone's negative reaction stop you from being genuinely supportive, appreciative, etc....
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. But I always add in there"Not to be a creep or stalker, but....." I have yet to have anyone say something like "don't stalk me" or anything like that. It's all in the delivery.

When someone says, "not to be a creep or stalker but..." that makes it creepy!