CARBS

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

no, because that is a silly rule.

the reason it was probably suggested was your trainer believes in all the myths that brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes etc etc

Is it your opinion that complex carbohydrates are no dfferent than simple ones?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

And I don't discriminate. I eat food I like no matter what color it is.

I had once had a dream that food of all colors could be on one plate...

I pray that one day this dream comes true. Foods of all color, shape and size should be able to come together to make the world a better and tastier place!

Amen
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You need to just finger out what works for your body and how your body reacts to things.

lol >.>
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You need to just finger out what works for your body and how your body reacts to things.

lol >.>

OMG I'm glad that wasn't my typo! Too funny! :laugh:

edited to correct my typo (geez!)
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    LOL Thanks!!! :D
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to complex carbs, because I feel fuller longer with the same amount of food. I don't stress about it, I just naturally go for the whole-grains.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...there are so many other foods that are good for you that take the place of the white carbs..

be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about...talk to a nutritionalist or a dietitian who can give you fact based advice.....

research yourself and get that advice...all our bodies are different and react to carbs in a different way....

Any carb serves a purpose, and it is totally OK to eat white carbs every now and then. Even the good old potatoe ist not as bad as most people think. Asian people eat tons of white rice mixed with proteins and don't the look great?
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    whats up dog....

what was that reply .......

i told the person to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about....

so...whats up???
  • willnorton
    Options
    acg67...

who is your degree from....
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...there are so many other foods that are good for you that take the place of the white carbs..

be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about...talk to a nutritionalist or a dietitian who can give you fact based advice.....

research yourself and get that advice...all our bodies are different and react to carbs in a different way....

Any carb serves a purpose, and it is totally OK to eat white carbs every now and then. Even the good old potatoe ist not as bad as most people think. Asian people eat tons of white rice mixed with proteins and don't the look great?

I visit Japan every few years for work. And the odd thing is how LITTLE white rice they eat. We eat out almost every day and if I didn't specifically aske for rice, I probably would eat less than 1/2 of what I would normally eat. The only rice we ate was the rice on sushi/sashimi. That's about it.

I think the ave American eats WAY more rice than let's say someone in Japan.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    acg67...

oh i'm sorry, i wasn't aware i needed a degree in nutrition to speak intelligently about a subject, but i do in fact have degrees in finance, economics and intl business
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

I visit Japan every few years for work. And the odd thing is how LITTLE white rice they eat. We eat out almost every day and if I didn't specifically aske for rice, I probably would eat less than 1/2 of what I would normally eat. The only rice we ate was the rice on sushi/sashimi. That's about it.

I think the ave American eats WAY more rice than let's say someone in Japan.

+1
  • willnorton
    Options
    thanks
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I am normally not a discriminatory person................but when it comes to carbs I do discriminate.

The carbs that hit my plate are normally green, yellow, orange, red, purple and rainbow like colors that fabulous vegetables and fruits come in...............

My rule of thumb for those other carbs (cereal grains, etc) is as follows:

If it is beige or white, keep it out of sight.
    If it is brown, run it out of town.

I eat NO grains, legumes or lentils.
  • willnorton
    Options
    a degree in finance..if i need help in buying sensible food i will email you....
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    acg67...

oh i'm sorry, i wasn't aware i needed a degree in nutrition to speak intelligently about a subject, but i do in fact have degrees in finance, economics and intl business

LOL - In that case can you use your degree in economics to stop this country from going down the tiolet
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Actually most Asian people don't eat as much rice as it is portrayed.......................Especially the Japanese. The mainstay of their eating plan is protein and vegetables.
  • Acg67
    Options
    a degree in finance..if i need help in buying sensible food i will email you....

then please substantiate your claims that white carbs are bad for you and that they serve no purpose
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

the reason it was probably suggested was your trainer believes in all the myths that brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes etc etc

How about entertaining a real question vs the tit for tat?
  • Acg67
    Options

How about entertaining a real question vs the tit for tat?

there are differences, but in terms of body composition they don't make a big enough difference to worry about. And brown rice isn't any better than white rice and may in fact be worse.