CARBS

Options

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    a degree in finance..if i need help in buying sensible food i will email you....

I would trust Acg over you any day. Acg has done plenty of research. He doesn't have to be a "nutritionalist" to know what he's talking about. Back off him NOW, please. :flowerforyou:
  • caseyday
    Options
    Instead of looking for advice from every person on here with an opinion do the following. Find people with the best physiques and ask them how many simple (white) carbs they eat. Im sure you will find your answer, if not here is a three step simple rule for simple (white) carbs: 1. Dont touch them, 2. Dont touch them and 3. Dont touch them. There is no point to eating them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Here is why I would choose whole grains over white, even if I didn't prefer the taste.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204
    The healthiest kinds of grains are whole grains. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that at least half of all the grains you eat are whole grains. Chances are you eat lots of grains already. But are they whole grains? If you're like most, you're not getting enough whole grains in your diet. See how to make whole grains a part of your healthy diet.

Types of grains
    Also called cereals, grains and whole grains are the seeds of grasses cultivated for food. Grains and whole grains come in many shapes and sizes, from large kernels of popcorn to small quinoa seeds.

Whole grains. These are unrefined grains that haven't had their bran and germ removed by milling. Whole grains are better sources of fiber and other important nutrients, such as selenium, potassium and magnesium. Whole grains are either single foods, such as brown rice and popcorn, or ingredients in products, such as buckwheat in pancakes or whole wheat in bread.Refined grains. Refined grains are milled, a process that strips out both the bran and germ to give them a finer texture and extend their shelf life. The refining process also removes many nutrients, including fiber. Refined grains include white flour, white rice, white bread and degermed cornflower. Many breads, cereals, crackers, desserts and pastries are made with refined grains, too.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/
    How Do Whole Grains Improve Health?

Whole grains don't contain a magical nutrient that fights disease and improves health. It's the entire package—elements intact and working together—that's important.

The bran and fiber in whole grains make it more difficult for digestive enzymes to break down the starches into glucose. Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol. Insoluble fiber helps move waste through the digestive tract. Fiber may also kindle the body's natural anticoagulants and so help prevent the formation of small blood clots that can trigger heart attacks or strokes. The collection of antioxidants prevents LDL cholesterol from reacting with oxygen. Some experts think this reaction is a key early step in the development of cholesterol-clogged arteries. Phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) found in whole grains may protect against some cancers. So might essential minerals, such as magnesium, selenium, copper, and manganese. These minerals may also help reduce the risk for heart disease and diabetes. And then there are the hundreds of substances that haven't yet been identified, some or many of which may play as-yet-undiscovered roles in health.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

no, because that is a silly rule.

the reason it was probably suggested was your trainer believes in all the myths that brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes etc etc

Is it your opinion that complex carbohydrates are no dfferent than simple ones?

How about entertaining a real question vs the tit for tat?

there are differences, but in terms of body composition they don't make a big enough difference to worry about. And brown rice isn't any better than white rice and may in fact be worse.

okay. I was asking what those differences were. And if brown rice is worse, why.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

okay. I was asking what those differences were. And if brown rice is worse, why.

slower to break down, generally spikes insulin less etc.

possible anti nutritional factors found in brown rice, among them phytic acid, which effect the bodies ability to absorb essential minerals
  • martinh78
    Options
    How is slower to break down and spiking insulin less a BAD thing?

I never understood why i was feeling tired after my lunch (a baked potato, pasta, or sandwich on white) until I read about GI and such like. Switched to sweet potato and brown rice and guess what, I'm not tired an hour after eating.
  • caseyday
    Options
    Just to add something here, when you spike your insulin levels your body is signaled to protect itself and STOP fat burning.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Instead of looking for advice from every person on here with an opinion do the following. Find people with the best physiques and ask them how many simple (white) carbs they eat. Im sure you will find your answer, if not here is a three step simple rule for simple (white) carbs: 1. Dont touch them, 2. Dont touch them and 3. Dont touch them. There is no point to eating them.

Alberto Nunez

alberto_shredded400.jpg?timestamp=1257301777446

3DMJ: Describe your nutrition when training for a competition.

Alberto Nunez: Foods don’t ever change too much. Quesadillas, Pop-Tarts, and some of my favorite cereals are still staples. The total calories change, and protein is upped a bit. Training is very similar to the offseason protocol, as cliché as it sounds, whatever helps you gain, will help you retain.

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/fa-alberto-nunez.php
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply everyone - and the entertainment :)

I was taught to not eat simple carbs/white carbs when on a diet and still think it is best not to. However I saw a lot of people on here posting their food intake or diaries and saw alot of white rice, pasta, potatoes and thought I was taught wrong.

I think I will stick with the whole grains as even if it don't help with the weight loss it seems to me to be a healthy way of eating.

Thanks again everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Alberto Nunez

OMG!!! I'm going to have nightmares about that pic.
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I agree with the three step rule - But if I talked to the best physiques I am sure they can eat a lot more than a 54 year old woman who is overweight.
  • Acg67
    Options
    How is slower to break down and spiking insulin less a BAD thing?

I never understood why i was feeling tired after my lunch (a baked potato, pasta, or sandwich on white) until I read about GI and such like. Switched to sweet potato and brown rice and guess what, I'm not tired an hour after eating.

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
  • caseyday
    Options
    sik pic brah, how did you post that?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

slower to break down, generally spikes insulin less etc.

possible anti nutritional factors found in brown rice, among them phytic acid, which effect the bodies ability to absorb essential minerals

For me, I like brown rice's ability to be absorbed slower. Plus isn't the husk a source of fiber?

But the question also goes out to whole wheat breads vs white bread also.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    The pesticide and fungicide residues found in the bran layer aren't healthy, and what's considered acceptable as an "organic" spray is scary. Leaf hoppers, stem borers, armyworms and so on, tough to beat.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Interesting.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There are alot of pro bodybuilders or even amateur bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness professionals that eat "white" or "refined" carbs while cutting for a contest or whatever. Also to claim that they are not healthy is pretty subjective.

I can eat refined carbs all day long, and also eat 2-4 servings of fruits, 4-6 servings of vegetables along with maintaining my exercise regime and staying fit and be healthier than someone who stays away from refined carbs.

Please...post something more intelligent for us to have a discussion over.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Ehem. Credentials first please. :wink:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't understand they point of the rule most of the time. I eat how I like and lose weight steadily

The "rule" has nothing to do with weight loss, It's about nutrition.

Most people use this rule when they are trying to lose weight is what I was getting at
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    There are alot of pro bodybuilders or even amateur bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness professionals that eat "white" or "refined" carbs while cutting for a contest or whatever. Also to claim that they are not healthy is pretty subjective.

I can eat refined carbs all day long, and also eat 2-4 servings of fruits, 4-6 servings of vegetables along with maintaining my exercise regime and staying fit and be healthier than someone who stays away from refined carbs.

Please...post something more intelligent for us to have a discussion over.

Sure you can. but you have to consider the context of the advice. If you tell someone to stay away from refined/white carbs and swap them for complex carbs, in general that's not a bad string of advice for a beginner. Put tell that to someone that knows more, then yeah, that's going to generate some discussion.

Sure you can eat refined carbs all day within reason. Same with candy, soda etc....