Thoughts on Weighing Everyday?

Options
How many weigh daily? Weekly? More/less often? I used to weigh myself daily when I first started (lost 38 lbs so far, 25 to go) but I have taken a "break" from the diet these last few months (maintained/gained 7 back, ready to lose it again!) Trying to decide how often I should weigh myself. Thoughts???

Replies

• Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I think it gives me a little reminder every morning of what I'm doing, it helps to keep me on track. But I think you have to be careful not to get bothered by the little gains that will happen :)
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i weight myself once a week.. I would drive myself crazy doing it everyday good luck and welcome back
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i heard its best to weigh every day so that your weight is in your face and it will make you want to do something about it... so before you sit down to that bowl of ice cream take a look at those scales and see how apatizing that sounds lol
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Daily...but I agree that you cannot make it a habit to obsess about day to day fluctuations. As long as the overall trend is down, you are good!
  • bluepineapple
    Options
    i weigh myself a few times a week but friday mornings are my "official" weigh ins (the ones i record on myfitnesspal)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    i weighed daily, keeping in mind that my weight varies between 1 and 4 pounds a day. Only logged a weigh in on Sundays.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, record weekly
    I weigh daily to see how the foods I eat are effecting me, and to keep me from a nasty surprise of a x amount of weight gain. If i see it going up i can stop it immediately.
    record every friday so i am not obsessing over the little fluctuations during the week.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I think it gives me a little reminder every morning of what I'm doing, it helps to keep me on track. But I think you have to be careful not to get bothered by the little gains that will happen :)

I do this too :happy:
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I weigh myself 2-3 times per week (I use the Wii "fit test"). I go up and down like most people and I got crazy if I gained anything so I gave myself a break. I do it first thing in the morning after I use the restroom.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I weigh daily. Either it makes me eat cleaner and exercise a bit more or it reaffirms I'm on the right track and motivates me to get my butt in gear. This is what works for me. I'm sure most people will suggest weekly.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily to help keep myself on track and so if I'm falling off track I can tell quickly. But I have a designated weigh in day (Wednesday for me) where I record my weight on MFP. It works for me but not for everybody.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, always first thing in the morning after I've used the rest room and before eating anything. I accept that weight fluctuates daily and I don't get too concerned with this...but I like to know what's going on. At one point I felt myself getting complacent by weighing daily during those weeks where I started off well and watched the scale move considerably...only to then ease up later in the week as I approached my weekly official weigh-in day. To counter this complacency, I decided to weigh in only on my weigh-in day. This lasted one week. However, I am no longer feeling complacent from weighing daily. I think it helped just realizing what was going on in my head.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    How many weigh daily? Weekly? More/less often? I used to weigh myself daily when I first started (lost 38 lbs so far, 25 to go) but I have taken a "break" from the diet these last few months (maintained/gained 7 back, ready to lose it again!) Trying to decide how often I should weigh myself. Thoughts???

Every two weeks or once a month. People get so obsessed with losing weight but really it's about how you look and inches lost. Focus on that. Put the scale away and you will find out more about your body than you ever imagined!
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only record my weight every Friday. It helps too see the small little wins but doing daily you will also see small gains, the key is not to get bothered by it and see the overall results.
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

that! I dont get discouraged when i get on the scale. I just stay focused better it's almosat exciting and it helps me get out of bed because i can usually tell if im going to lose or not and i'm excited to see what it says in the morning so it gets me up and out pretty quickly
  • taraomc
    Options
    Although a lot of people loosing weight do weigh themselves daily, I would try to resist. Weight is so inconsistent and can vary so much from day to day! Try using a measuring tape once a week to record the changes :) measurements are a lot more accurate than scales.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    More data points the better.
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily...but, the number staring back at me can dictate my day at times. So, back to once a week weigh-in's. I find by not getting on the scale consistantly, I'm more aware of my nutrition (go figure). Seriously, I'm backwards--if I eat clean all day, I'll get on the scale after dinner, see no significant gains and think "hey, it's ok to have a piece of cake"....which of course isn't truly the case. Silly I know, but that's the way it works with me. :wink:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning on days I can be arsed. Generally a few times a week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I taped a piece of notebook paper above the scale and divided it into columns. I write the date and the weight daily. It's interesting to see the daily progression. It's up and down anywhere from 1-8 pounds on a given day but over the weeks and months you can see the gradual loss. My first sheet of paper has almost 30lbs of loss on it. Good motivator and just plain interesting to me.

I don't recommend it for the weak of mind or the type of person who will freak out over short term gains. Some days I worked out hard and put on several pounds the next day. Or I ate a ton of sodium and did the same. Or I spent all day working in the yard and am down a half dozen pounds. Not a big deal, you just have to look at the big picture.