Thoughts on Weighing Everyday?

Options

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self nearly every time I get near a scale, but I only let it matter during my official weigh in Monday morning. My weight has crazy fluctuations, as much as 5 pounds a day sometimes, and I find it interesting. But the only time the number matters, makes me happy or sad, is Monday morning.

I also like to weigh myself on a variety of scales, every one I use is slightly different. The one I weigh in on - my cheap IKEA bathroom scale, is rather consistent while the digital scale a client of mine has will give me 4 different weights in a row. I don't know how accurate the # on my home scale is, but I do know the weight changes it shows are spot on.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've done both weekly and daily. I'm currently a daily weigher because it helpe me see a serious bad habit trend and stop it to get losing again. But you definitely have to be able to go with the flow and not obsess about things, like folks have said. For example, I had a couple of days of being "backed up" and stepped on the scale to an over one pound "gain" from the previous day. But I knew that a good part of it was likely due to my body not clearing itself out. Yesterday everything kicked into gear and this morning I was back to pre-backed up weight again. But it's easy for a lot of people to see the number and stress or freak out about why they're suddenly gaining. So you have to be pretty comfortable with yourself to do it daily.

For me, if I hadnt started the daily, I may still be in my infinite loop of doom. I'd been trying a weekly chest meal/day to try to jumpstart things again. My weekly weigh-in would show me either staying the same or with very slight gains or losses (mere ounces). So I thought I was just stagnant. When I started daily. I saw that I would lose all week, then jump up after my cheat, then spend all week losing that again, and then jump up again, etc. etc.

Being able to see that cycle, and stop it, has kept me on a continual loss since then. So daily weighing definitely has advantages like that.
  • lovelar
    lovelar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as it gives me the extra motivation to keep on track...when I see even a little loss and my BMI going down it gives me a buzz.... and...because I weigh myself on the WII, it encourages me to do some exercise too while I'm at it!!!

This morning I didn't expect a loss as I went out for lunch yesterday for the "Melbourne Cup" so was delighted with a 500gm loss AND even better to see my BMI is now below 40... OK there's still a long way to go..but the boost that has given me this morning is unbelievable!!!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I weight daily but don't pay attention to the daily figure, only the 7-day running average. Daily measurements give a more accurate running average.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly at JC. I used to weigh daily as a teenager and hated it. My whole day would depend on whether a machine said a number was bigger or smaller. I don't even own a scale anymore.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I keep a graph on the bathroom wall and record on it daily, so I can see the general trend. Each sheet covers about one month.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ever lose some weight, and then see someone you hadn't seen in awhile and they REALLY notice? That versus the people that see you every day and may not comment?

That's they way I look at weighing in. I really notice the changes more and am more motivated, by only weighing once a week.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily too, it keeps me focused and I don't get upset by little gains, I know it's understandable and I take other things into consideration if I weigh slightly more.. so I don't get depressed, is worse not weighing in a week and thinking you're doing great and not being able to see any improvement after a week.. or even worse... a gain. I've noticed I go down one day a week, then I put it here on the chek-in, then for the following days I've gone heavier but I don't change it unless it seems perennial, but then usually just when I've lost hope of being that weight, then it's one suddenly the next morning I weigh even less than in my last check in. I think last time I added my check in was a week ago, I've been up or keeping up till yesterday, but this morning I simply forgot to weigh myself, but hopefully I will be in a new weigh tomorrow .. I feel it somehow!:D
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily, also. my plan is maintenance; i give myself a range each day. where i'm at in that range partially dictates the food choices i make that day.

weighing every day isn't best for everyone. but it's an essential part of my strategy, along with the food / exercise diary.
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! It seems the general consensus is to weigh daily, but a lot stressed not putting to much "weight" (no pun intended) on the daily fluctuations... So, I started the 17 day diet on 11/1, which is a Tuesday, so going to stick with "official" Tuesday weigh ins to record on here (my official log), but go ahead and weigh daily (or whenever) just to "check in" and keep myself aware of where I'm at. Today was a good weigh in, I lost a pound from yesterday, so definitely helps to motivate me today to "do the right things..." I'm sure in the beginning I'll lose rather quickly because of water weight, etc. But that's fine, as long as the scale is moving down! And, what I'm doing is not hard, it's substainable for a while... thanks again for the feedback!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    For me personally if I weighed myself everyday I would drive myself bonkers worrying about all the fluctuations our bodies go through daily (even hourly!!). So for that reason I weigh in and take my measurements once a month. Different people have different opinions on this. I learned there is no right or wrong. If weighing yourself everyday is a positive..keeps you on track and you don't stress over the fluctuations then I say go for it. But if it is going to stress you out..don't do it!
  • xmalonex
    Options
    I weigh daily because I think it gives me a little reminder every morning of what I'm doing, it helps to keep me on track. But I think you have to be careful not to get bothered by the little gains that will happen :)

I agree with this completely...it keeps me in check. BUT...you can't get discouraged if you stay the same...at least you aren't gaining.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly since daily is too much tourture if nothing changes..lol. Monthly, also too much torture, I want to see results of my work as I go.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly on Saturdays first thing in the morning. On my other "diets" I would weigh daily and I'd end up getting discouraged and stop. Luckily there is no scale in our house, I use the wii fit to weigh when I go to my parents house during the weekend.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I think it gives me a little reminder every morning of what I'm doing, it helps to keep me on track. But I think you have to be careful not to get bothered by the little gains that will happen :)

This.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I jump on that damn scale every day...not sure if it hurts me or just keeps my focus. I do however keep my mind open knowing that my weight will flucate through out the week so I dont let it get me down. But I do know if I just do what I am suppose to do. I will get to where I wanna be. But its great to keep myself in check as well. But I do know the only one that really matters is the one I weigh in on every Sunday at my centre lol
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I taped a piece of notebook paper above the scale and divided it into columns. I write the date and the weight daily. It's interesting to see the daily progression. It's up and down anywhere from 1-8 pounds on a given day but over the weeks and months you can see the gradual loss. My first sheet of paper has almost 30lbs of loss on it. Good motivator and just plain interesting to me.

I don't recommend it for the weak of mind or the type of person who will freak out over short term gains. Some days I worked out hard and put on several pounds the next day. Or I ate a ton of sodium and did the same. Or I spent all day working in the yard and am down a half dozen pounds. Not a big deal, you just have to look at the big picture.
    I too weigh daily actually its twice a day in the morning and before bed. I input it in an excell file and into an app on my phone but I don't stress over the small day to day fluctuation I look at the week like Monday to Monday and Tuesday to Tuesday and I get that great weekly weigh-in high everyday. This way if i do have gains I can look back to what I ate that day or week and usually find the problem and correct it. Plus I do admit to having a craving and walking to the pantry to get a snack and stepping on the scale and if it is close to my previous nights weigh in I will opt for skipping the snack. Keeps me in line.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options

This.

Agreed!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    used to do it daily
    now once every 10 days :)
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Saturday morning. I pick the same time each time in order to get an accurate reading.