judgmental

Options
13»

Replies

• ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on yourself, not other people.

Yep. No one's perfect.
    Options
    I don't really judge. Maybe the day you catch that person is the day they've designated for their cheat day and they've already lost 100 pounds? I don't really know about their lifestyles so I can't really form an opinion. I do notice that I've started becoming more aware of the people around me now that I've become more health-oriented. Now that I put much more thought into these things, I'm noticing, "Huh, I'm the only person who bought fresh vegetables in this entire grocery line," or "Oh, I have the most defined abs out of everyone in this room." It's not really a feeling of judgement about others so much as a feeling of pride in my own work. I mean, let's face it, you have to be proud to have a healthy habit that is very difficult to build when you live in a community known for fried chicken and potato salad. I guess there's also a sense of wonder toward people who can eat red meat for several meals in a row or eat very few vegetables. I crave vegetables and fruits if I don't eat them so it's a little like, "wow, your taste buds are completely different from mine!"
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a super hard time with this around my family, older sister especially. She has always been heavier than me, and always self-conscious of her weight. She starves her body, and when she does eat, she has unreasonably large portions. Her diet causes her hair to fall out, she yo-yos in weight, and she doesn't feel good. It hurts me to watch what she does to her body, when with the right choices, a bit of exercise, and a decent support system she could lose pounds and feel good.
    I try to help her know what is good and what is not, but it's hard to balance between being helpful and being a judgmental-know-it-all. I know it makes her uncomfortable sometimes, and I apologize when I notice she has that "please shut up" look, but we grew up in the same household, she is as ignorant of healthy choices as I was before MFP.

I have the same problem although my sister is younger than me and was always much small than me. Now she is much larger and on a continuous eating schedule of unhealthy food. I just try to give her gentle guidance. I know that motivation has to come from within.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    & if someone can really sit at their computer reading this and say no they haven't done this then they're lying :)
    Why do you think you know what goes through other people's minds? Is it completely inconceivable that other people think and feel differently than you do?
  • hml1976
    Options
    Whenever I start to judge someone (and we all do, maybe not about food but about something) I try to remember that I have no idea what is going on in their life.

Once when my children were very young I was in line at the grocery store and my 3yr old daughter was having a massive tantrum, screaming, yelling, kicking...the very height of out of control. The woman behind me in line said something like "can't you control your child? Why aren't you even doing anything?!"

I'm sure to the group of people listening to the conversation they would have agreed with the woman criticizing me. I wasn't doing anything. What they didn't know is that we had spent that entire day at the Children's Hospital and were waiting for life or death test results for my infant son. A 3yr old tantrum was so far down on my list that day...

So when I see overweight people and start to judge I try to remember that horrible day (baby turned out ok btw) and think...maybe their wife left them, maybe they've lost their job, maybe they just don't love themselves enough to make good decisions for their body. Heck, I've been there...we all have.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    For eating food? No. Never. Now if they are shoveling food, I may gag. But WHAT they eat? No. I could care less. I eat what I want, generally.

Now, for using weights or weight machines, I do cringe when I see people use them incorrectly or slam the weights together.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    & if someone can really sit at their computer reading this and say no they haven't done this then they're lying :)
    Why do you think you know what goes through other people's minds? Is it completely inconceivable that other people think and feel differently than you do?

Everybody judges people-- people judge people for what they eat. People judge people for judging people for what they eat. People judge people for judging people who judge people for what they eat....and on and on. Every person who criticizes someone for being judgmental, is being judgmental.

We all judge-- it's natural.
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am a teacher and my students come to school with soda and chips for lunch...I judge their parents. How can you even think that is ok?

^ THIS

It really irritates me when students come to school with only junk food to sustain them through the day...I mean, what were their parents thinking??
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't judge people because this is the lifestyle that I have chosen. I just try to encourage people when they say they want to lose weight or exercise. I do find that I am judged because of how I eat. I don't like to be judged and I won't judge anyone else.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You are just more aware of what you are eating and what is healthy and what is not healthy. When people go out to eat, most of them have no idea that they may be having 1200 calories at one meal.