any subsitute to replace sauerkraut?

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    You could make your own sauerkraut. Cabbage and salt in an airtight container for 30 days, voila!
    It's salt that she wants to get rid of...but thanks for the tip, I might try that for myself...but what about the vinegar?
    Actually, you can make sauerkraut without salt too.

"The simple key to successful vegetable fermentation is to make sure your vegetables are submerged in liquid. That’s it, the big secret. Usually the liquid is salty water, also known as brine, but fermentation can be done without salt, or with other liquids, such as wine or whey." (http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=vegetables)

And you can certainly make it with some salt but not 2000mg/serving. I've also had the Bubbie's brand and it is DELICIOUS! (Expensive, though.) Real sauerkraut (with live cultures) is thought to be VERY good for digestion so I think it is worth making some or finding a lower sodium kind.

Edit: Okay, I just finished reading the thread and see that it is really 500mg/serving. Much better. Still quite high. Anyway, if you love it, you should look into making some! I'm making my first batch right now (I get to taste it in a couple days to see how it turns out.)
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Okay, I just finished reading the thread and see that it is really 500mg/serving. Much better. Still quite high. Anyway, if you love it, you should look into making some! I'm making my first batch right now (I get to taste it in a couple days to see how it turns out.)
    Let us know how it turns out,, I am dying to hear.