Picky 7 year old!

Options

Replies

• paravision
    Options
    No one's trying to be mean, just trying to express that a picky child is picky because of the parent.

That is really not true. My brother grew up in a household where we ate at Indian, Ethiopian, Morrocan, Japaenese, REAL Chinese (we lived in Europe) restaurants almost every night, or my parents would host a dinner party every weekend serving glazed duck or moussaka or something equally complex. My brother was still a picky eater. I was not. My cousin gives her kids all kinds of foods. One of her sons is a picky eater. The others are not. It has nothing to do with the parents.
    THANK YOU!
    No thats because of personality that the other two didnt become picky.The child that is picky is picky because the child is allowed to be picky.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    WOW. Maybe some of you should stop judging the OP. Are you all perfect parents? SHEESH!

I was on foodstamps for almost eight months back in 2006. I was a single, unemployed mother who got $186 in foodstamps each month. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and spaghetti with plain marinara were staples in our home during that time. You can buy a cheap loaf of white bread (ick) and a jar of peanut butter and jelly for $5 and get 12 sandwiches out of it. It becomes a problem between buying healthy food and buying filling food. It's not an easy decision, but seriously, sometimes it's what gets you through. Until you've had to choose between a pot of mac and cheese for .65 cents and one tomato for the same cost, STOP JUDGING.

As far as snack cakes go, when you're poor, there is mental turmoil in the fact that you can't buy your kid new clothes, the toys his friends have or a fancy new bike. So you give the kid a Ding Dong instead. It's a bad habit and it's setting the kid up for bad choices in the future, yes-- but being poor is a serious struggle when you see your kid suffering. You'd do anything to see him smile. And sometimes a Ding Dong will make him smile. I'm not saying he should eat a box a day, of course, but at least try to put yourself in her shoes before you judge.

To the OP, try letting him make his own stuff or making a game of it. My daughter is 7 and I notice that one sure thing to get her to try something new is those stupid sample stations at Sam's Club. She gets excited and will try things she'd NEVER try at home. Try making a game of it-- play "sample." Or make a mini "buffet" of healthy things. Make it creative and they'll be more likely to eat healthily. Also, try making the things he already eats healthier. Instead of white bread, switch to a light bread or a whole wheat bread. Buy naturally sweetened preserves (like Polaner All-Fruit) instead of regular jelly.
    Thank you so much for what you said! I have no job, which means no extra income, which also means that 200 is the ONLY money I have for food. so yeah buying the "crap" lasts longer throughout the month than buying healthy food that will last two weeks. Until you have been poor you dont know how hard it is to buy food. Not only do I have to use that money to buy food for the house that also includes 5 meals a week for school.
    I am so tired of people telling me that being poor means nothing and that I can still provide the good stuff for my son. No I can not. the last time I tried to buy nothing but healthy food on my FS I ran out of food two weeks before I got more FS. I am done defending myself against the over oppinionated people that seem to think they know the "right" way of doing things. Until you are flat *kitten* poor and broke, shut up!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Oh my....there was a lot of bashing going on here, when someone was asking for help! As a picky eater myself, I stand firm and srong on the issue of "tough love" and it not working. My parents tried the whole "eat what I cook or eat nothing and you will eventually get hungry." No eventually I still refused to eat, lost a lot of weight and the school tried turning my parents in for malnutrition...I would spit out EVERYTHING my parents gave me. It got to the point where I would sneak downstairs at night and get a bowl of cereal because I was sooooo hungry! My parents let me eat hotdogs every night so I would stay alive. They would throw in fruit when possible of hide pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce if they could. Food tramautized me so much as a child I still refuse to try new things to this day. You CAN NOT CHANGE a picky eater....to this day I HATE most veggies. I have just learned how to substitute into my diet lots of fruits and the veggies I do eat.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    WOW. Maybe some of you should stop judging the OP. Are you all perfect parents?

Why yes, yes I am. Thanks.
    doubtful.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    Oh my....there was a lot of bashing going on here, when someone was asking for help! As a picky eater myself, I stand firm and srong on the issue of "tough love" and it not working. My parents tried the whole "eat what I cook or eat nothing and you will eventually get hungry." No eventually I still refused to eat, lost a lot of weight and the school tried turning my parents in for malnutrition...I would spit out EVERYTHING my parents gave me. It got to the point where I would sneak downstairs at night and get a bowl of cereal because I was sooooo hungry! My parents let me eat hotdogs every night so I would stay alive. They would throw in fruit when possible of hide pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce if they could. Food tramautized me so much as a child I still refuse to try new things to this day. You CAN NOT CHANGE a picky eater....to this day I HATE most veggies. I have just learned how to substitute into my diet lots of fruits and the veggies I do eat.
    Thank you! I have seen my son refuse to eat for a day and a half because I tried to keep him from eating what he liked. That resulted in him telling his school that I am refusing to feed him and me getting CPS called.
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    As many have said,

Make a healthy meal and put it in front of him. If he eats, great. If not, he goes hungry. Kids won't let themselves starve when they have food in front of them.

I cook three meals a day for my kids (3,3, and 20 months). They eat the same foods as Mom and Dad, or they don't eat. My kids love vegetables, fruits, for the majority of the time they eat whole grains, low fat dairy (besides my 20 month old who gets whole milk still), lean meats. things of that nature. They still get cookies or ice cream once in a while as well, but for the most part the eat nutritious foods. All 3 of them even eat non-fat plain greek yogurt. Why? Because that is what I feed them.

Why do you care though if your child eats those things, if you are convinced that since you are losing weight on these foods, it is okay. Losing weight doesn't mean you are healthy. These foods affect your mood, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc..

I'm sorry, but hearing my kids whine because they want something is far better than digging their grave nice and early for them.

Best of luck with your son.
  • paravision
    Options
    WOW. Maybe some of you should stop judging the OP. Are you all perfect parents? SHEESH!

I was on foodstamps for almost eight months back in 2006. I was a single, unemployed mother who got $186 in foodstamps each month. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and spaghetti with plain marinara were staples in our home during that time. You can buy a cheap loaf of white bread (ick) and a jar of peanut butter and jelly for $5 and get 12 sandwiches out of it. It becomes a problem between buying healthy food and buying filling food. It's not an easy decision, but seriously, sometimes it's what gets you through. Until you've had to choose between a pot of mac and cheese for .65 cents and one tomato for the same cost, STOP JUDGING.

As far as snack cakes go, when you're poor, there is mental turmoil in the fact that you can't buy your kid new clothes, the toys his friends have or a fancy new bike. So you give the kid a Ding Dong instead. It's a bad habit and it's setting the kid up for bad choices in the future, yes-- but being poor is a serious struggle when you see your kid suffering. You'd do anything to see him smile. And sometimes a Ding Dong will make him smile. I'm not saying he should eat a box a day, of course, but at least try to put yourself in her shoes before you judge.

To the OP, try letting him make his own stuff or making a game of it. My daughter is 7 and I notice that one sure thing to get her to try something new is those stupid sample stations at Sam's Club. She gets excited and will try things she'd NEVER try at home. Try making a game of it-- play "sample." Or make a mini "buffet" of healthy things. Make it creative and they'll be more likely to eat healthily. Also, try making the things he already eats healthier. Instead of white bread, switch to a light bread or a whole wheat bread. Buy naturally sweetened preserves (like Polaner All-Fruit) instead of regular jelly.
    Thank you so much for what you said! I have no job, which means no extra income, which also means that 200 is the ONLY money I have for food. so yeah buying the "crap" lasts longer throughout the month than buying healthy food that will last two weeks. Until you have been poor you dont know how hard it is to buy food. Not only do I have to use that money to buy food for the house that also includes 5 meals a week for school.
    I am so tired of people telling me that being poor means nothing and that I can still provide the good stuff for my son. No I can not. the last time I tried to buy nothing but healthy food on my FS I ran out of food two weeks before I got more FS. I am done defending myself against the over oppinionated people that seem to think they know the "right" way of doing things. Until you are flat *kitten* poor and broke, shut up!
    Shut up? OK HERE I GO! My ex left a month ago and isnt paying child support. I have no income and am a full time student. 3OO a month in food stamps and guess what?!? WE DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR CRAPPY FOOD! I have THREE kids! Check my food diary people! Learn to shop better!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I work in a low income school...I understand how food stamps and the like work and you do have to think long term. Fresh produce and whole grains cost more....and the grocery stores that cater to low income have horrible selections and its not very fresh. McDonalds offers buy 1 get one free Big Macs....that feed alot more than some could feed at a grocery store. Our society makes eating healthy a privledge...not a right. Thankfully its getting BETTER...but we are far from perfect. I live in a low income area with places like Family Dollar and other not great stores. I have to drive 15 minutes just to get to a grocery store with a poor selection of fresh foods. I end up driving out of my way to a nicer neighborhood outside the city limits to buy food from Trader Joes and the same grocery stores which manage to give the nicer neighborhoods nicer produce.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Again, these are still choices made and excuses given. I get the situations, I've BEEN THERE for YEARS! I know how it is to only have "food money" to use for a birthday party instead of real cash to buy presents. I have wrapped up their favorite sugary cereal and fruit snacks as presents so they felt like they got more gifts besides new underwear. I get that, believe me, I do....but this is a lifestyle that needs altering. You can't use the excuse of not having enough money to eat healthy. Because I'm there every single day.
  • paravision
    Options

Shut up? OK HERE I GO! My ex left a month ago and isnt paying child support. I have no income and am a full time student. 3OO a month in food stamps and guess what?!? WE DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR CRAPPY FOOD! I have THREE kids! Check my food diary people! Learn to shop better!

And BTW I am not using a rough financial time as an excuse to not take care of myself either!My kids need me now more than ever and they need to be healthy too. This emotional turmoil is hurting them enough so they need to eat better or they will end up sick and depressed.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    My son will eat strawberries, red apples, mandarine oranges, and maybe grapes. Which I love, but he will not touch a single vegetable.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Rice and dried beans will keep for a hell of a long time, and you can't get much more healthy than that. Frozen veggies last months. Even canned veggies are better than nothing. Buy a whole chicken, separate it, and freeze it. That'll last for plenty of meals. Don't use a difficult financial situation as a crutch.. There's really no excuse.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    No one's trying to be mean, just trying to express that a picky child is picky because of the parent.

That is really not true. My brother grew up in a household where we ate at Indian, Ethiopian, Morrocan, Japaenese, REAL Chinese (we lived in Europe) restaurants almost every night, or my parents would host a dinner party every weekend serving glazed duck or moussaka or something equally complex. My brother was still a picky eater. I was not. My cousin gives her kids all kinds of foods. One of her sons is a picky eater. The others are not. It has nothing to do with the parents.

Ok, there is no comparison there.....I'd be picky too if it's "weird" food (as a child would see different ethnic foods to be)....but to have a child exposed to processed canned goods and candy and snack cakes and refuse to eat healthy foods IS the parents fault. You're twisting things.

No, I'm not twisting things, I didn't say my cousin raised her kids eating what you call "weird" food, and I didn't say we only ever ate those kinds of foods - even if we had, I don't think those foods would be weird to those in the ethnic background. Again, we were not raised in America. These foods were "normal" for where we were raised. My brother as a kid and my cousin's kid did/do not eat veggies. No matter how they were cooked. My point was that it doesn'tmatter sometimes what the parent feeds or tries to feed. Sometimes picky eaters are just picky.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Saying you buy junk because you are poor is a cop out. I am VERY POOR, zero income and my brother works a part time job at pizza hut and we don't have food stamps or any other government assistance, we go grocery shopping once a week and spend around $65, we buy plenty of meat, eggs, milk, veggies, fruit, and very little to NO junk food and we feed the both of us PLUS our niece and nephew and sometimes their older brother. It can be done, buying healthy food is no more expensive than buying processed garbage and actually buying processed junk food is usually more expensive. When my older brother was with us we had to spend $100 or more a week in groceries and buy a lot of junk food because that was what he eats and let me tell you our food didn't last half as long.

If you plan out meals and shop smart, buying healthier food is not hard nor is it more expensive.

I also grew up very poor and my parents didn't buy junk food, we still had healthy meals and candy was only something we got on fridays and it was 10 cent candy from the gas station.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Few of you are helpful, but the majority of you seem to think that asking for tips means judge my choices. I will feed him what he likes regardless, but I asked for tips to ADD healthier foods, not replace with. Thank you, but no thank you.

Why would anyone want to feed their kid garbage? I'm not judging, but I'm curious. We ate junk food as kids maybe once a month as a "treat." We didn't expect spaghetti-o's every day. Junk food is not supposed to be part of your everyday diet, especially as a growing child. Processed junk on a regular basis is just setting a kid up for an unhealthy future.
    I was raised on "garbage" so to me it was fine. I just over ate it growing up. I dont let my son over eat it.

Not bashing, but I think you have it backwards.. my pedi has always told me that I control what my boys eat, they decide the amounts that they eat. So even if you don't intend for him to over eat.. how can you inforce that? How can you tell when enough is a enough for a 7 year old. The go through so many growth spurts and all. At times my 4 and 2 year old can empty our fridge in pantry in 3 days.. other times I wonder how they are functioning on the amounts they eat. Just something I wanted to mention.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    My oldest will eat anything and loves to try new foods; my youngest son was picky. Until 1st grade he only wanted peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly) but for dinner he ate whatever I made or he didn't eat dinner that night and no evening snack. The next day is a new day, he never missed more than one meal a day.

As far as trying new foods, the rule was that he had to eat one bite per year of age. I counted out 4 peas or green beans, he had 4 bites of meat, etc. and I always had one item for dinner that he liked so that the item he liked was the incentive to eat the bites of veg. Since your son is older, I'd probably start with 2 bites, then a couple weeks later move to 3 bites, and so on until he's at 7 bites and stay there until he turns 8.

I also had my son pick out a fruit or veg at the store every week to try, which led to trying starfruit, coconut, papayas, etc. Because he chose it, he was more likely to try it with some curiosity, and I had him involved with peeling, cutting, and cooking 'his' item.

Now, he's 11 and fights for leftover pasta with pesto sauce, orders linguini with claims or lobster fettucini at restaurants, and is quite an adventurous eater. I never would have thought it possible, but with persistence you will get there.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I just wonder, how if you say you have no income, no job, you have $200 a month for food...how do you have the internet? Are you incapable of working? Go apply at Mcdonald's if you have to. SOMEONE is always hiring. The area I live in was hit HARD because of the economy and I know all the restaurants, fast food places, etc. still hire.

Is it just you and him? Because I was feeding a family of four off of a budget of $280/month. That includes a grown male, myself and my two children ages 7 and 8. This also included 10 lunches/week for them for school. That was a budget that I created for us because there's no need to spend a lot of money of food. I never once had a problem finding things to make and having left overs to get extra stuff.

If its just you and your son, that's $50 a week. That is plenty. Talk to your local grocery stores, they will tell you when they get produce in. On those days, they always have their older produce practically free, but you have to be there fairly early. I am assuming since you don't have a job you can go once your son in school. I buy this when I can and freeze what we won't eat that day or the day after.

Junk food is more expensive. Maybe you need help with healthy meals? Maybe you need help cooking? Google it.
  • alishastradtman
    Options
    Ok. People on here are now being just plain mean and nasty. She is asking for help to try to change her son's eating habits and asking for ideas to expand his palet. She doesnt need any "I'm holier than thou" attitude especially since she is trying to change the situation. It amazes me how people are so quick to judge, especially when someone is asking for help. My nephew is a very picky eater. His therepist came up with an idea that if he tried something new he got a sticker on the day he tried it and if he got three stickers a week he would get a suprise. They were always little tacky toys like spider rings and stuff but he did it. And he is extremely picky. I am also not one against hiding healthy food. Puree veggies of the same color into things he already eats. If you dont have a blender, buy baby food. Mix mashed banannas into his peanut butter sandwiches. Buy the morning star hot dogs. All veggies there. Surprisingly spinach when mixed with other things has no taste. Grind it up and mix it in hamburger if you make hamburger helper. Puree cooked carrots and squash and put in in the spagetti sauce. He wont even taste it and wont see any chunks. You will have to come shopping with me one day and I can show you how to coupon as well as how to hide veggies. Also cut them into fun shapes and have him help.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is sort of a "button-pushing" topic for me as I have been in VERY tight financial situations (read $300/month grocery budget for a family of 5 including an adult male and a breastfeeding female) and still managed to plan healthy and balanced meals for my family.
    I am not sure what the OP is looking for as you have rejected all the ideas offered to you. You don't plan on changing your shopping habits, you don't think this stuff is bad for your son, you seem to think it provides adequate nutrients (and if not then the vitamin picks up the slack), so...what are you after?
    If you want your son to eat healthier then you are going to have to dig deeper than hiding some veggies in his spaghetti-o's and gimmicky food nights.
    He's 7. He can understand "I'm sorry, but spaghetti-o's are not in the budget this week, but I'm making a homemade marinara instead and would love some help."
    I honestly couldn't tell you how much spaghetti-o's cost, but I know that you can buy a can of tomatoes, frozen peppers & onions, dried italian seasoning and a box of name-brand protein enriched noodles for $5-6. And with only 2 of you eating there is at least 3 meals in that. And my 10 year old LOVES left over noodles in her lunch bag.
    My suggestion is to replace the junk with reasonable options. Frozen is cheaper than fresh. And shop at markets for in-season bulk foods. Green beans are a good deal now, and if you roast them they taste almost like french fries. And choose a treat night and bake something yourself. Or make a dessert at the beginning of the week to portion out throughout the week. Make your own waffles and pancakes from scratch and freeze them. It's CHEAPER and you can add healthy ingredients.
    Breakfast favorites at my house are eggs, homemade granola, homemade pancakes and waffles, and homemade muffins. None of these items cost more than $.50 per serving.
    Lunch favorites are noodles (my kids love macaroni so I cook them protein-enriched noodles and add a small amount of shredded cheese), soups (usually made from leftover meats and veggies), and of course pb sandwiches. Again--super reasonable.
    They eat things like apples and peanut butter (or lately pumpkin and yogurt dip), yogurt, chocolate milk, in-season fruit, occasionally smoothies, popcorn (instead of chips), graham crackers (instead of cookies) for snacks. These are all inexpensive and healthy alternatives, yet still kid-friendly.
    And for dinners...we serve a BALANCED meals. They don't always choose to eat it, but we encourage them to try a bite of everything. And no snacks unless they do.
    Put it in front of him. Explain why you've made it. Express your empathy.

Also...I agree with allowing your kids to eat as much as they want. I would never limit my children's meals. So when my 10 year old girl ate 5 (FIVE!) portions of spaghetti squash lasagna (which, coincidentally cost about $5 for the entire meal) I encouraged her. Our pediatrician also stresses quality and allowing them to eat as much healthy food as they want.

Lastly...I am willing to bet a month's salary that a child has never been taken from their parent because their parent stopped buying junk food and the child decided to not eat the healthy choices being served.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    it's going to take time to retrain his way of thinking on food. once he starts seeing you make better decisions & the variety is bigger, he should jump on board, maybe with a lil coaxing. place healthy choices on the table & have him try at least one spoonful.
    also, when i went grocery shopping, i would take my kids with me & they were allowed to pick out one new fruit/vegetable & help me prepare it in the kitchen. when they are involved in the food preparation, it excites them to try it.
    BY ALL MEANS...do NOT force food upon a child OR offer sweets/desserts as a reward. that truly skews the view of what's a good & bad food.
    BEST OF LUCK!