mild laxative before weigh in

Options

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    This from the same person who asked about the validity of using a nicotine patch to help lose weight.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Laxatives are really bad for your body. Your digestive system is extremely complex, and it was not meant to be forced to work. It is very easy for your body to develop a dependence on them, and it will stop functioning effectively on its own. If you want REAL results, keep it natural :)
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What would be the point of this? Do you get a special prize if your scale says a certain number on weigh in day?

haha
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble going. i use laxatives such as fiber mix to keep me clear. I think you should see your doc too. Mine suggested a little fiber water every 3 days should help. FYI: bowl can weigh as much as 5lbs for all those who don't think its a big deal.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This from the same person who asked about the validity of using a nicotine patch to help lose weight.

LOL....yea i just posted the same thing. Me thinks this OP is just pulling our legs
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I guess it's ok if you're not regular! other than that; I don't think its a good idea! try Flax seed instead!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Add fiber and water to your diet if you're worried about going too infrequently. I mean, I think we've ALL weighed ourselves before and after, in the interest of... uh... science, but I think laxatives are best saved for the times you're in total discomfort from real constipation.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I poop once a week. And I wouldn't use laxatives to poop more often nor to be lighter on a weigh in.

What? I'd probably drown in my poo-poo if I did that.

Once I started working out regularly, my movements became more regular (and frequent).
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So much concern over poop and menstruation.... it just makes me giggle...
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble going. i use laxatives such as fiber mix to keep me clear. I think you should see your doc too. Mine suggested a little fiber water every 3 days should help. FYI: bowl can weigh as much as 5lbs for all those who don't think its a big deal.

If you have 5lbs of bowel, (A bowl if it's large and metal could easily weight 5 pounds) you need to get some major fiber. My massive logs are like 6-7 inch monsters and I didn't drop even .2 pounds.

Well if your "bowel" weighs 5 pounds it should be easy to lose 10 pounds by Thanksgiving, you just need to go poop twice before then! 5lbs is giving birth to a small baby, I thought my poop was massive you guys win! I can't squirt that out my rear!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I would agree with people who say NO! DON'T DO THIS!

However, on another note, we have had many discussions about this particular bodily function in our family due to celiac disease, and have recently been at another follow-up with a gastroenterologist. It can be normal to go as often as 3 times a day or as infrequently as up to 3 days between movements. Dietary changes, as mentioned by other posters, can affect this greatly, such as the amount of fruit or fibre you ingest. If you have any concern that you're not going often enough, you should see your doctor for recommendations.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Take a Probiotic every day...it regulates the system very well!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

If you have 5lbs of bowel, (A bowl if it's large and metal could easily weight 5 pounds) you need to get some major fiber. My massive logs are like 6-7 inch monsters and I didn't drop even .2 pounds.
    I officially know way too much about you.:laugh:
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Ok... first of all, if you don't poop everyday then you need to re-evaluate your diet becuase it is obvious that you are short on fiber. And I am not talking about eating more "Fiber One" bars... you need more fruits, veggies and water in your diet. Don't do the laxatives... you will screw up your digestive tract.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Why? Unless you are doing some biggest loser challenge last weigh-in where you want to win the $100 prize - then do what you got to do ! Otherwise, won't laxatives just dehydrate you so you will only be fooling yourself and setting yourself up for a weight gain the next weigh-in?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you are this desperate to see a smaller number on the scale, you may have bigger problems than weight. Seriously reconsider your priorities. What's more important, a number or your health?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I officially know way too much about you.:laugh:

Yeah if you were my friend you'd have to drop me as a friend, then some common friends we have, then post snarky posts about my humor and sarcasm on the board. That feels like deja vu.. hmmm.. ;-)
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    I would not use a laxative unless you are feeling constipated. We should never subject our bodies to medications we don't really need, just for the sake of a number on the scale. I would also recommend examining your diet to make sure you are getting enough fiber rich friuts and vegetables. It can be hard sometimes, but we all need to remember that when we step on the scale, that is just a snapshot of where our bodies are at that moment. There are so many variables that attribute to what the scale might say on any given day. Be sure to take your measurements, that is a much more accurate tool in determining how successful you are. Good luck.