Anyone Else Battling Depression?

Options
13»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Um, I've never been down with any kind of meds really. I rarely even take ibuprofen for headaches, etc. I just don't like pumping my body with chemicals. I'm going to try the natural way (vitamins/therapy/etc) and if that just doesn't work, and nothing else helps, I might consider meds. I just don't like the idea of them!

I used to feel the same way, until I ended up in a bathtub of my own blood and decided that I liked my life more than I hated the thought of medicine. Medication saved my life.

After participating in several research studies, it was determined that I have 3 physiological factors resulting in major depressive disorder. A genetic mutation has rendered my body unable to bind serotonin efficiently, efficiently synthesize serotonin from tryptophan, or channel serotonin to the appropriate places in the brain. There's no way to un-f@ck that without medicine. All the talk therapy and vitamins in the world will not undo genetic mutations.

For many people, depression is episodic, and results from lifestyle choices and stressful / traumatic / depressing events. Not everyone has a physiological explanation for their depression. But if your depression exists because your brain doesn't work properly, you're SOL without medicine.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Um, I've never been down with any kind of meds really. I rarely even take ibuprofen for headaches, etc. I just don't like pumping my body with chemicals. I'm going to try the natural way (vitamins/therapy/etc) and if that just doesn't work, and nothing else helps, I might consider meds. I just don't like the idea of them!

I used to feel the same way, until I ended up in a bathtub of my own blood and decided that I liked my life more than I hated the thought of medicine. Medication saved my life.

After participating in several research studies, it was determined that I have 3 physiological factors resulting in major depressive disorder. A genetic mutation has rendered my body unable to bind serotonin efficiently, efficiently synthesize serotonin from tryptophan, or channel serotonin to the appropriate places in the brain. There's no way to un-f@ck that without medicine. All the talk therapy and vitamins in the world will not undo genetic mutations.

For many people, depression is episodic, and results from lifestyle choices and stressful / traumatic / depressing events. Not everyone has a physiological explanation for their depression. But if your depression exists because your brain doesn't work properly, you're SOL without medicine.

True. That's why I want to be checked out and actually be diagnosed so I can go from there.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

True. That's why I want to be checked out and actually be diagnosed so I can go from there.

You may have to really work with your insurance company and doctor to get that to happen. Because the DSM-IV doesn't require any "hard" diagnostics to prescribe treatment for depression, you likely won't get those diagnostics covered. The simple ones are serum and urine serotonin assays. More expensive is a PET scan that can. Any other diagnostics are really above and beyond what any insurance provider would pay for. I just happened to live down the street from Harvard, and they were doing a study on self-harm at that time.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options

You may have to really work with your insurance company and doctor to get that to happen. Because the DSM-IV doesn't require any "hard" diagnostics to prescribe treatment for depression, you likely won't get those diagnostics covered. The simple ones are serum and urine serotonin assays. More expensive is a PET scan that can. Any other diagnostics are really above and beyond what any insurance provider would pay for. I just happened to live down the street from Harvard, and they were doing a study on self-harm at that time.

Oh wow. Unfortunately I don't have insurance, so this will be all out of pocket. Guess we'll just start with a therapist and go from there?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Oh wow. Unfortunately I don't have insurance, so this will be all out of pocket. Guess we'll just start with a therapist and go from there?

It's kind of effed. They can give you medicine to treat a chemical imbalance without actually PROVING you have a chemical imbalance. I know. You just take a survey...and that's enough
  • ChloeRudolph
    Options
    I as well have been battling depression (bipolar ll). I am 38 and it is still a struggle, my depression is pretty severe and have suffered since grade school. I have been on all the meds you can possibly amagine. I think the combo that I am on now seems to work the best. Talking to someone who understands your daily struggles helps and makes you feel like you are not alone..We can all give each other support in many ways.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options

It's kind of effed. They can give you medicine to treat a chemical imbalance without actually PROVING you have a chemical imbalance. I know. You just take a survey...and that's enough

Sheesh. I know my mom and I were talking about different options and that was one thing that was brought up. Just some doc putting you on meds cause they don't know what else to do.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. This time of the year is the worst.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself when I'm crying, which makes it seem even more pathetic.
    I don't think it's pathetic. But it's OK if you think I'm pathetic...
    No way! Don't tell me we're going to have a pathetic-off.. Like eating straight up frosting and crying..
    There's nothing wrong with talking to yourself. Is just a way of organise your thoughts to better understand them. :)
    It's only bad if you answer yourself...which I do

well it would be awefully silly NOT to answer yourself. i mean who has a onesided conversation?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    No way! Don't tell me we're going to have a pathetic-off.. Like eating straight up frosting and crying..
    There's nothing wrong with talking to yourself. Is just a way of organise your thoughts to better understand them. :)
    well it would be awefully silly NOT to answer yourself. i mean who has a onesided conversation?
    I like anyone who makes me feel better about talking to myself...
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like anyone who makes me feel better about talking to myself...

Well i have to justify it to myself otherwise I’ll think I’m crazy. But i mean who doesn’t tell themselves they are doing a good or bad job at times, or discuss plans and decisions... it is a necessity.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Sheesh. I know my mom and I were talking about different options and that was one thing that was brought up. Just some doc putting you on meds cause they don't know what else to do.

I don't think it's because they don't know what else to do. I think they do it because its so effective. Even placebo effect is very effective. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different types of therapy (dialectical, psychoanalysis, cognitive behavioral therapy) and different things work for different people.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Exercising IS the best thing you can do. It really is. Have tried meds and therapy but neither seems to work... Continuously (daily) exercising seems to be the only effective thing I have found that makes me feel somewhat more level.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are very surprised that I am Bipolar. I was diagnosed at 12 but was in therapy since age 3. I have also had years of experience as a manager for a non profit organization who assisted handicapped adults with daily living skills, many of them having emotional problems such as depression and bipolar disorder. I am very much in control of my emotions and have educated myself over a long period of time too.

Something that I learned fairly quickly throughout my life is that the more you resist help, the more suffering and pain you will go through. I have been on several medication over the years and I am not going to lie, they started piling them up on me. I had enough and went off all of them for like a year. I did really well too. Once winter came, I started falling into a depression again. I realized no amount of therapy (which I did) is going to change the physical chemical imbalance in me and needed help. There is no shame in admitting that part of depression is not under your control.

However, I do encourage you to take complete control of which medication you will take and which ones you wont. I am on only one medication and at a very low dose. They tried to put me on another medication and then another one to cover the side effects of the first one. I simply said "no, come up with another plan". You have that right. People don't get it but medication is within your control, this is your body and the doctors need to accommodate you. If they wont, find another doctor.

I think one of the biggest issues people have is that they think they wont be in control of their emotions anymore but that is so far from the truth. A lot of medications allow you so see things clearly and be more in balance. I mean, whats the worst that can happen? You take a medication for a few weeks, you dont like it and you stop. At least you know you tried and it is better then sitting there and doing the same things that are not working for you.

I have found exercise, going on birth control to regulate my hormones and exercising has done wonders for me. I have PCOS too and I think that had a major role in why I was having ups and down. Look beyond just the surface and really try to figure out what is causing depression whether it be physical, environmental or mental. Sometimes things you would never think of can have a major impact on your mood.

I hope this helps. Also, could it be Seasonal affective disorder? Do you only get depressed during the winter months? Being in Alaska, you might want to look into it.