Your exp w/numerologists/palmists/psychics?

agwilker
agwilker Posts: 104 Member
For my 25th birthday last week, I went out of town for a few days. While I was doing that I noticed there was a shop in my area where someone read palms/did tarot cards etc. I had always been somewhat curious, but still skeptical. I figured what the heck, I'd do it for fun on my birthday. She did my numbers and told me it would be a good year for me business-wise,etc. She said that however I make money now, will not be the only way. She asked if I'm a writer. Which is odd, because I've thought about it quite a bit lately. Read my palm and told me I'd live to my late 80s, early 90s. I'd have two kids, DEFINITELY not 3 she said, 2. At that point I was kind of like..ok..:ohwell: But then she started describing some of my traits that were oddly specific. One being that I'm private and don't share much with people I know (even my family), but when I find someone I like I really open up and tell them a lot. Which is true. Reading that back I might be inclined to think it was a lucky assumption. But I know quite a few people that tell the next stranger they meet their life story. But it fit me pretty well. Other traits being that I was imaginative/creative (true), that I'm very opinionated on certain topics, not middle of the road (true). The only one that I questioned was she said I was generous/selfless, I'm nice but I wouldn't go as far to describe myself as that. As far as relationships, she saw a couple, with the last one being long term (could be a lucky guess of course), I told her I wasn't in a relationship/interested in anyone. She stopped and said but I did have one serious boyfriend not long ago (broke up a year ago to the day), and he contacted me recently. Which was true. She also said he had a huge ego, also true :tongue: . I think I'm still a bit skeptical, however I was surprised at a few of the comments.

I'm curious if anyone on here has had anything related done, or know of someone who has? What was their experience and did they feel like it was off the mark or remotely accurate? (I realize a lot of people think the whole genre is quackers/scam, btw, my mom lol'd at me, but humored me)

Replies

• It sounds to me that it was a great experience for you. Great birthday gift. There are a lot of things in life that are hard to prove, whether we believe things or not, doesnt mean it isnt true or real. Enjoy the reading! :smile:
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    I’m going to tell you a short story-
    I went to a Holistic fair with a friend, and I was confronted by a group of psychics who tried to figure me out. They looked at me and said “I’m getting a very maternal glow about you. You seem very caring, very sweet… Are you going to be a teacher-“
    With a completely serious face and totally honestly I said, “Actually I’m going to be a criminologist who specializes in domestic violence and sexual assault.”
    They make assumptions most of the time. I’m not saying there are not psychic people, because I know there are, but the majority are people looking to make a quick buck.
  • I had my palm read years ago when I was in college. She didn't say anything at the time that struck with me and I think she told me I would have seven great loves in my life. Uh hu, where are they? She also told me to stay away from a really tall man with a large belt buckle. I married a really short man that wears lots of large belt buckles so maybe she was getting a little vibe there. I"m very skeptical. She didn't tell me anything special but I'm sure there are some people in this world that can. I believe in some psychics, mediums and oddities. I try to stay away from it for religious reasons but I do believe its out there. I hope she was right for you! It sounded like some good information.
  • agwilker
    I’m going to tell you a short story-
    I went to a Holistic fair with a friend, and I was confronted by a group of psychics who tried to figure me out. They looked at me and said “I’m getting a very maternal glow about you. You seem very caring, very sweet… Are you going to be a teacher-“
    With a completely serious face and totally honestly I said, “Actually I’m going to be a criminologist who specializes in domestic violence and sexual assault.”
    They make assumptions most of the time. I’m not saying there are not psychic people, because I know there are, but the majority are people looking to make a quick buck.

True enough. Luckily I walked into it skeptical. She knew what college I went to. She asked after we were done what my major was, I told her psychology. She found that interesting and seemed to think I wanted to work in the psych field, which is not the case.
  • Psychics tend to use very general terms that apply to most people, or people would like to think apply to them. They sound specific but they aren't, really. So they'll say "you're creative" or "you have a great sense of humour" or "you give too much of yourself to others" because most people would like to believe that's true. What she said about being a private person but opening up to people you really like sounds specific, but it's not really - almost everyone is like that to some extent, and it actually covers a spectrum of behaviour. Some people have more people in the "too private to share acquaintances" category, and some more in the "I like this person enough to talk" category but most of us, introverted or extroverted, can identify with this.

They also use "cold reading" where you'll be giving them information without even realising it, through body language. So they say a bunch of things and see you react to something - like a recent breakuo, perhaps, or a significant change in your life. Then they home in on that and press for more. Experiments have shown pretty conclusively that we remember much better when the psychic gets it right and tend to forget any ideas that were wrong. People tend to come away from a psychic reading thinking that the psychic was much more accurate than s/he actually was, but if you record it you can see the psychic going on all sorts of routes that go nowhere, making mistakes and backtracking and using cold reading.

So yeah... Colour me skeptical.
  • amauritsen
    amauritsen Posts: 3 Member
    I think if you look into it, it is easy to realize all that psychic stuff is really just superstition with no basis in reality. Anyone can learn to ask subtely leading questions and be observant enough to learn more about a person than they think they are communicating. There are a number of web sites and resources debunking it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    All scams designed to seperate money from the gullible.
  • agwilker
    Like I said, I did it for fun. Found it interesting. I mentioned I was a skeptic still even after. Was just curious if anyone had any actual experiences, whether it be something they thought was legit or further proved it was a "scam". I get the ideology behind "tells", which I find interesting in itself (the psych major coming out in me). I do appreciate the opinions on the topic, however, despite no experience.
  • I'd also add: is there anyone in the world who isn't "very opinionated on some topics"? Sure, which topics they are will vary from person to person, but... I'm very opinionated on psychics and that kind of stuff.
  • agwilker
    I'd also add: is there anyone in the world who isn't "very opinionated on some topics"? Sure, which topics they are will vary from person to person, but... I'm very opinionated on psychics and that kind of stuff.

Touche. haha
  • I am a working professional intuitive medium. (Psychic) I am sorry most people feel so negatively about them. Remember, what we see hear feel is up to us to interpret and we are human and get things wrong. No psychic that's 100% all the time. I have a good clientele of people who come back because I warned them about something. Also I should mention if you go to one closed off bound and determined to make her prove she is legit you probably wont get much. If someone shuts themselves off to you its hard to read their energy because the energy isnt being presented. The energy the person is putting off is their opinion. I have had clients like this and its frustrating. Its takes you and the psychic working together for a reading to be good. If I see a dog and a basket I need you to tell me why I am seeing that. Once that is established then the reading moves forward. If you don't tell me anything chances are the reading hits a wall. I had one client who pulled this with me. The reading was about 2 hours (exhausting) but once I "Proved" myself she let go easier and I was able to pass along the messages she was supposed to be given. Don't judge what you don't understand. I always tell people I don't know how it works I just know it does. I do know God trusted me with this gift and I am very private about it and use it to help people whenever possible.
  • Oh and I love it when people say this is the devils work. I have done nothing but help and warn people. The bible says beware of false profits not true ones :OP
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    I do my own Tarot readings for me and my husband, I am just starting to learn about it. But one day I read for my husband, and at the time it didn't make any sense, it said he would be moving somewhere closer to water, and make more money in the next 6 months. We kinda just laughed it off because he is in the military and we still had another year before he got out well a month later he re-enlisted and now we are moving to North Carolina (by the ocean) and he is going to be making more money. Sometimes you can tap into that "force" some people don't believe in it. Some people believe in it but believe it's evil. I believe in it, but I do not in any way think only a special type of person can tap into it. Anyone who wants to seek it out can, some have just developed theirs more.