Hobbies anyone?

2»

Replies

• magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    I play with my kitty! :tongue:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Thanks! I'm going to the bookstore after I take that walk!

So, I was wondering...has anyone ever read Skinny B****s? Any thoughts if you have?

I read it in the bookstore (it's not long or hard, and after the first couple of chapters - you get the drift). Basically it is a book advocating cleaning, vegan eating with a bunch of expletives thrown in for extra measure. I did not buy it. :laugh:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    I (gasp) READ. I know I know, how quaint of me in this day and age, but I try to read at least one hour every night. Believe it or not, reading is a very powerful mind exerciser.

I read when someone recommends a book. I can't just go pick one out...there are just too many!

I recommend East of Eden. by John Steinbeck. (fav. book EVER)
    I recommend Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (second!)
    I recommend The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
    there's three good ones that will enthrall you for awhile.

Now get your booty to a bookstore and do some reading!!

I loved all those books! I also liked Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer. I read about 3 books a week - love my public library.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I love my library too, but my DH reads too slow and always causes us to have late fees! :angry:

We just finished reading the Conversations with God Series. I really recommend them, if someone is interested in a new take on spiritual things...
  • mburris
    mburris Posts: 55
    :glasses: I teach high school. I was seeing all of my girls reading the Twilight series. I had to know what the big deal was about. I was hooked. They are very good. I finished all four in about a month. I am now reading Stephanie Meyer's book for adults called The Host. It's okay, but it has been hard get through it. I think it's about to get better.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I read. A lot.
    All sorts of books.
    I check out the New York Times bestsellers list. Pretty decent range. Some good, some bad.

And better yet, I read in a bubble bath.
    It's warm, relaxing, and MY TIME (i.e. I lock the kiddo and hubby out :wink: ).

I love getting lost in a good book.
    And I cannot eat and read at the same time.
    I hate getting books dirty with smudge marks from chips or whatnot.

If you are interested in book swapping, check out www.paperbackswap.com.
    I get all my books from there. You pay shipping, trade books with other members, get credits and trade more. Shipping is generally less than $3.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Golf
    Tiger Woods on Wii is fun
    Tiger Woods on PS3 is fun
    teasing my dog with a laser pointer
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Reading, like many others on here. I also am a former HS English teacher, so I really like some young adult books (Twilight is sitting on my desk right now), but two of my fav adult book authors are Alice Hoffman and I just got turned onto Jodi Picoult!

I also love crosswords and puzzle books.... right now I'm enjoying a new puzzle book with a variety of logic, word, crossword and such puzzles that my DH gave me in my Xmas stocking.

I love playing computer games! Favs are Syberia, Nancy Drew games, and puzzle games online. I also have been enjoying playing slots on winster.

In addition, I have some sewing projects that I am in the middle of/want to do here in the winter time -- currently making outdoor cushions... and recently got back into jewelry making.
  • I would say that some of my hobbies would conclude reading and study the Word of God. Reading lots of books on nutrition and healthy eating habits and recipes, logging into MFP, and to http://christianwives.proboards101.com/index.cgi. :flowerforyou:

I used to coach for a couple of years so still have the hobbies of playing soccer, basketball, baseball, swimming, and golf. I also like to roller blade and go to the park often. :happy:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    I crochet baby blankets, make seed bead necklaces with charms, which I sell and they keep me very busy, read books, I stay very busy.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    I also love reading....murder mysteries mostly. My favorite hobby is Photography! My hubby bought me a $500 camera and a $300 lens for it. Love love love it!!! (btw......we got it all on sale for a lot less than that!)
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Back to the old pleasure of reading,t here was a MFP bookclub going for a while ....is it still going?
    Show yourselves!!!! :smile:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    I read too. I read all the time. Right now I'm reading the "Left Behind" series.

I've heard "the Shack" is really good. Not sure who it's by, but it's really popular right now so the book store people would know what you are talking about.

I've read "The Shack" - on a friend's recommendation - and I was really disappointed. The theology is so flawed that it is insulting, and the exaggeration of images really distracts from the story. (Just my 2 cents.)

If you would like a light, fun read, I recommend the "SisterChick" books by Robin Jones Gunn. (She is the author of the teen's "Christy Miller" series.) The first one is called, "Sisterchicks on the loose". They can be purchased inexpensively from CBD online.
  • I read on average a book a week. Buying books got just too expensive, so I got a (FREE!) library card. Picking is not hard. Go down an aisle and start reading the inside of the covers until you find one that is interesting. Get 3-4 of them and simply don't read the ones you don't like. Can't afford to make bad picks when you're buying them.