Are carbs evil ???

Options
Im wanting to loose around 2 stone (the healthy way) All I hear is that carbs are bad and to loose weight quicker you need to cut down on them. But I eat plenty of fruit & Veg, houmus, bread, rice and bran, I'm loosing but very slowly. Cutting out carbs to loose weight would only be a short term thing right ? and then I would put it all back on ? wheres the balance............ help !!!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    2 stone. Try whatever you want. You'll get answers on both sides, it's a very polarizing subject.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil...they are the source of energy for your body. That said, you need to avoid going OVERBOARD on carbs. Think balance. You don't want to eat chicken, pasta, and potatoes at one meal. Instead, eat chicken, pasta OR potatoes, and broccoli or some other non-starchy vegetable (keep in mind, some vegggies, like peas and corn, are starchy enough to be considered carbs instead of veggies). Some people feel the need to only use brown rice and whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes, but I still use white rice and regular pasta and white potatoes and I'm doing fine. I just keep the carbs in check (I tell myself that for every carb, I have to have an equal amount of veggies. Since I'm not fond of veggies, that helps me keep the carbs curbed!).

Keep in mind, too, that losing SLOWLY is a good thing. You're more likely to keep it off long-term.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    No food (or type of food), in and of itself is inherently evil. If you want to lose weight the healthy and sustainable way, it's everything in moderation.

When I first started my weight loss journey, about five years ago, I watched my carb intake (tried to keep it to 15 carbs or fewer a day....in the dietician's world 1 carb = 15 grams of carbohydrates). I continue to kind of monitor my carb intake,but I don't eliminate any food or type of food just because it is a carb/protein/fat, etc.

Because I am willing to eat all types of food and keep it in moderation, not only was I able to lose over 60 pounds, for the most part, I've kept it off for over four years.

Remember, this is a LIFEstyle change, not a DIEt.
    Kaye
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No they aren't! I LOVE carbs :) So long as they aren't the only thing you're eating.
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me, carbs are the reason I lose weight. I favour high intensity workouts, and carbs provide me with the energy boost. I can't advocate them enough but everyone is different. However some carbs are less healthy than others, and if you can you should favour the better, less refined options. Also don't exsist *solely* on them, balance it out! That's what works for me, may not work for everyone, but carbs certainly aren't evil for me :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil...they are the source of energy for your body. That said, you need to avoid going OVERBOARD on carbs. Think balance. You don't want to eat chicken, pasta, and potatoes at one meal. Instead, eat chicken, pasta OR potatoes, and broccoli or some other non-starchy vegetable (keep in mind, some vegggies, like peas and corn, are starchy enough to be considered carbs instead of veggies). Some people feel the need to only use brown rice and whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes, but I still use white rice and regular pasta and white potatoes and I'm doing fine. I just keep the carbs in check (I tell myself that for every carb, I have to have an equal amount of veggies. Since I'm not fond of veggies, that helps me keep the carbs curbed!).

Keep in mind, too, that losing SLOWLY is a good thing. You're more likely to keep it off long-term.

the voice of reason , totaly agree :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad if you have certain medical conditions that interfere with the way your body reacts to them.

Otherwise, they're fine. I have pasta, rice, pizza, bagels, bread regularly and never had a complaint about my progress. :smile:
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil...some are just better for you then others...from what you've said, you're eating the right ones...and losing slowly is the best way to lose....It stays off longer and is better for you....
    the first 50lbs I lost, I"ve kept off since 2003...and that took me a year to lose...the next 30lbs I've lost recently and it took me 8 months...and I work to keep it off...
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Carbs are not evil! How you eat carbs can sometimes be. Avoid enriched and processed carbs. Check all of your lables carefully as some whole wheat bread is made with enriched flour, which is sugared flour. You should also be eating the majority of your carbs before your evening meal. I don't have any carbs after 5pm and eat a protein supper of either a chicken breast or turkey burger patty with steamed veggies, or egg white omelette and find both options very filling. When omitting the carbs after 5pm or severely limiting my carbs after 5pm (my protein shakes have a small amount of carbs- I use a low carb whey protein made with coconut milk) I lose weight pretty easily.

Good luck with everything! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad if you have certain medical conditions that interfere with the way your body reacts to them.

^ This.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Im wanting to loose around 2 stone (the healthy way) All I hear is that carbs are bad and to loose weight quicker you need to cut down on them. But I eat plenty of fruit & Veg, houmus, bread, rice and bran, I'm loosing but very slowly. Cutting out carbs to loose weight would only be a short term thing right ? and then I would put it all back on ? wheres the balance............ help !!!!

No carbs aren't evil.

Low carb, high fat, high protein is an effective way to lose weight if you like that life style and can stick with it.

Low carb, low fat, high protein is an effective way to lose weight if you like that life style and can stick with it.

High carb, high fat, low protein... er... I don't think I've heard of this ever being effective, but I could be wrong. If it helps you cut calories and you can stick with it, go for it!

High carb, low fat, low protein is an effective way to lose weight if you like that life style and can stick with it.

Calorie restriction is an effective way to lose weight no matter what the calories you're restricting are, so long as you can stick with the calorie restriction.

Increasing your exercise levels is also an effective way to lose weight.

Pick one that you like, that you can stick with, and do it.

I personally choose to calorie restrict. I eat... medium carbs, high protein, and low fat. I exercise. I've lost almost 39lbs. I'm still losing. I think the exercise has had a bigger impact than the calorie restriction for me personally, but that's because calorie restriction is... well... too restricting :)

Good luck

Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ to find the science you need to back up the life-style you choose. I also really like http://www.mayoclinic.com/health-information/. You can try google, but you're gonna get a bunch of quack science that way.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I tried lower carbs for 2 weeks and it made no difference to my weight loss. I also found It expensive and not as satisfying. I eat pasta, bread and potatos and still lose weight :).

Also, something to bare in mind. I was on slimming world 3 years ago and I lost 16pounds from sticking to mainly green days (high carbs, low protein). The only reason why I gained it back was because I went off to University and lived off takeaways and binge drinking. Had I eaten normally I would not have gained it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Otherwise, they're fine. I have pasta, rice, pizza, bagels, bread regularly and never had a complaint about my progress. :smile:

THANK YOU!!!! I have to be very careful of the types and Im also on a restriction as well.... in conjunction with the medical care Im receiving and complying with her individual plan, I feel so much better and the weight is coming off...
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    p.s.> I'd limit eating potatoes if at all possible or eliminate them all together. I was told once that the potato is the devil of all foods when trying to lose weight and it wrecks havoc on your insulin levels for days after eating one.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside, opinions on carbs are all over the board. Additionally, I think that carbs affect people differently. In my case, I get better results if I maintain a low-carb lifestyle. I have lost around 50 pounds and need to lose 40 more and I know I see better results when I target 60 carbs or less per day. I also notice I gain more easily when I over-do it on simple carbs. You may want to do some reseach on simple versus complex carbs as I know it helped me understand which ones to avoid.

I don't restrict any veggies, but try to avoid white breads, potatoes and white pastas and much as my willpower will allow. When I do have these things I try to go as natural and high fiber as possble.

Good luck on your journey! :happy:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Considering you would literally die without carbohydrates, how could they be evil?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    p.s.> I'd limit eating potatoes if at all possible or eliminate them all together. I was told once that the potato is the devil of all foods when trying to lose weight and it wrecks havoc on your insulin levels for days after eating one.

please stop with your nonsense
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    BUT CARBS STOLE MY BABYYYY!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! You're funny.

I would die without potatoes. They are insanely high in potassium which is essential for muscle recovery. That, and they are effing DELICIOUS.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    I eat low carb but i don't think carbs are evil- I eat low carb to assist my weight loss, and its helping me feel fuller for longer and reducing my cravings. As I get to my goal weight and need to increase my calories to maintain my weight I will slowly introduce more carbs. I think my carbs will always be lower than most peoples bc of the way my body responds to them but if eating carbs works for you then i wouldnt see a reason to reduce them.