iPhone or Android??

Options
13»

Replies

• bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Since there are lots of recommendation but virtually ZERO actual information, here's my $.02.

The key difference between them is the fact that andoid is open source and the iphone is not. Open source is a double edged sword. The good thing about it is that anyone can develop for android, from sophisticated and complex roms to very basic apps. That means that new apps are going to hit the market faster/more often and greater customization is possible. The downside is that there are more frequent version updates and quality control is much harder to enforce.

What's that all mean? Well, if you want a reliable, solid phone that you just want to use as it was meant to be used, go with the iPhone. If you want to be able to tweak and play and try things and don't care about force closes and what not, go android.

Both have extensive markets with more than enough free and paid apps. That should not be a determining factor. iPhone does not support flash, in most cases that isn't a deal breaker, but for some it could be. an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. There are several different flavors of android... all have the same key features, but the look and feel can vary device to device.

This is the best explanation I have seen, Thank You! Currently doing comparison shopping, long time Android user is continually frustrated with product.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Since there are lots of recommendation but virtually ZERO actual information, here's my $.02.

The key difference between them is the fact that andoid is open source and the iphone is not. Open source is a double edged sword. The good thing about it is that anyone can develop for android, from sophisticated and complex roms to very basic apps. That means that new apps are going to hit the market faster/more often and greater customization is possible. The downside is that there are more frequent version updates and quality control is much harder to enforce.

What's that all mean? Well, if you want a reliable, solid phone that you just want to use as it was meant to be used, go with the iPhone. If you want to be able to tweak and play and try things and don't care about force closes and what not, go android.

Both have extensive markets with more than enough free and paid apps. That should not be a determining factor. iPhone does not support flash, in most cases that isn't a deal breaker, but for some it could be. an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. There are several different flavors of android... all have the same key features, but the look and feel can vary device to device.

This is the best explanation I have seen, Thank You! Currently doing comparison shopping, long time Android user is continually frustrated with product.

This thread is now nearly 6 years old and a lot has changed. Buy a good phone and it'll work no matter what the operating system, but you can't expect a $200 android phone to work as well as a $800 iphone.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I love my IPHONE because it keeps up with my school needs. It's basically my personal assistant!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    As a recently ex phone salesperson, I'd normally say it depends on how you use your phone. Generally Apple phones are really good for people who want to do all the normal phone stuff, easily and without fuss. Androids are more versatile, and work tne way YOU want, Iphones make you work the way THEY tnink it should be done. So they tend to be easier for beginers or non power users.
    But in this case, the Iphone 4 is outdated enough that Apple will actually be a frustrating fit eitner way. Apple upgrades all thier phones, at the same time, and doesn't take into account the older phones. The 4's do not cooperate very well with current OS, or the apps that are available now. It just isn't powerful enough to handle even what Apple considers basic anymore. If you decide to go for an Iphone, you really should consider at least the SE. It is less expensive and smaller, but still new enough that it will still work with newer apps and OS. The Android phones are still useable, even with the older or less powerful phones, as long as you are not planning on downloading more than a couple of apps. Plus the fact that you are used to an Android system means you would likely be frustrated by the built in limitations on an IOS phone.
    My suggestion is to stick with Android. But if you do decide on iphone, go with SE or better.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »

This thread is now nearly 6 years old and a lot has changed. Buy a good phone and it'll work no matter what the operating system, but you can't expect a $200 android phone to work as well as a $800 iphone.

Lol, one day I'm going to notice dates, ROFL! Danged zombies!