Have people told you that you're losing too much weight?

Options
I'm still a few pounds over the mid-point in the normal bmi range. But I've been getting a lot of comments lately like I don't need to lose anymore weight or don't become anorexic. I have weighed another 10 pounds less than what I am weighing now for most of my life. However, because I have moved, the people that see me every day now have never known me at that weight.

Are people telling you things like this?

I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing and if I see pictures of myself that look too thin, then I'll readjust. Just like how the pictures let me know I had gotten too big.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Mostly I get "Skinny girl"...I make sure to say that yeah I have lost weight, but I have also gained a lot of muscle and that my goal is to be fit and toned :D
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Yes, and it irks me. People didn't utter a word about how "thin" I was when I was 14 pounds lighter. But now that I want to return to that weight, I receive a lot of criticism and scrutiny.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not in the same way I just got to my halfway point and someone was asking me about my weightloss and I was excited and made the comment that it was my halfway milestone and I till want to lose 50 more lbs and they said I would be too thin so I explained to them that the weight I want to be is right in the mid range for my height but they still acted as if it would be too thin so Im sure as I get closer Ill get more comments like that
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes- all the time!! But I think that because such a huge percentage of the population is now overweight or obese, being overweight to a certain degree has become the "new normal." I just ignore them, except if they are family members or close friends I tell them I am now working on building muscle. That makes them feel better- and it's true!
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel that people are supportive and happy until you're their size or smaller, then jealous comes into play.
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    Yes I do! And it's weird, too because I'm still borderline-overweight according to my BMI. A lot of people comment on my weight loss, but when I tell them I still want to lose another 20 pounds they say I would be way too skinny, when really that's what is considered a normal weight for my height.

I think part of it is that people you know are used to seeing you heavier, and consider that your 'normal weight'. So when you get close to your REAL normal weight, you might appear really thin to the people who are used to seeing you overweight... if that makes any sense to anyone besides me, lol.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    my mom, she's very discouraging. I eat all my calories for the day, my BMI is in the normal range but my mom doesn't like the fact that I've lost 15 pounds. I want to continue to lose weight till I hit my goal, but she says she'll send me to therapy for anorexia if I lose more weight. :/
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree with krista. But no one has told me I've lost too much just yet. I would take it as a compliment most likely and thank them. Besides, who cares what anyone else thinks? It's your lack of satisfaction with your body that brought you here. You should stop when you're happy.

My boyfriend said to me that he'd be just as happy with me if I stopped losing weight now or if I kept on doing so. It's good to have people around who support you no matter what.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes- all the time!! But I think that because such a huge percentage of the population is now overweight or obese, being overweight to a certain degree has become the "new normal." I just ignore them, except if they are family members or close friends I tell them I am now working on building muscle. That makes them feel better- and it's true!

I agree with this totally! One of my best friends and I have run 3 marathons together. She is thin and very, very fit (5'7" and 110, about a size 2). I got down to my lowest weight ever this summer (I'm 5'5" and was 117) and we both said we got a lot of comments about being "too skinny" where in reality we are very fit/muscular and eat healthy and the right amounts. I think the "new normal" you refer to is right.
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    omg ...yes!!!!! my mum tells me i look great but got other people saying im looking to thin ..cant win really,,,,iwould see in my self if iwas looking "to" thin....is it cause they wished they could do it????
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    In MOST cases, people know you are healthy. They say things like this to make themselves not feel so bad about not having the motivation or willpower to do something about their own lives.

I usually tell them things like "I eat whatever I want, but shove my fingers down my throat afterwards. WIN-WIN!"

That shuts them up, usually.

(By the way, I don't actually do that. I just like to shock them into silence)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    So far, only my mother, but I'm sure my sister will say the same thing when I see her. They're wrong, of course.
    Options
    Yes, but I think most people don't understand that exercise is part of my life now. If I could stay this size no matter what and eat whatever I want and not exercise...then I would STILL choose to eat right and exercise. Those things are just what I consider to be part of a happy lifestyle. But most people just see a thin girl working out and think, "Oh, I bet she's insecure!"
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's ridiculous because my BMI is only 24.something and I'm a UK size 14 so I'm still on the large side. It seems to be mostly from much slimmer people though for some reason, even though when I reach my goal I'll still be 2-3 dress sizes bigger than them!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Say-- "Yes I am losing weight, and I really appreciate all the support I've been getting." HINT HINT.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am at the lower end of the healthy weight range, and my sister has called my anorexic. I said to her that she shouldn't say that to someone in the healthy weight range, and she told me 'but I am concerned about you'.

She has finally got the message to shut up about it. I can't help but wonder, if she was trying to make herself feel better when she put weight on a year or two ago, and may have been a bit overweight herself. I don't believe I made a comment to her on her weight then, didn't want to be rude, and it's her life to live anyway.

(Can you feel the sisterly tension oozing through my keyboard? ;) )
  • clairibou1
    Options
    YES. since i'm kind of young to be doing this (18) i constantly have people calling me anorexic. i got no support from friends, only weird looks and constant offerings of cake and ice cream. it bothered me so much that i have started to binge eat and have gained a huge amount of weight back. its so frustrating!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes. All the time. My sister freaks everytime she sees me, saying I'm anorexic. Or the fact that I eat healthy and exercise--no one understands that I'm not even trying to lose weight anymore, I'm actually maintaining. I just love the healthy lifestyle and want to continue it. I don't want to eat all that junk anymore, that's just what it is. It's tough getting flack for making the right decisions.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not yet. I do have a family member (in-law) who will say "what's up skinny?" or "don't turn sideways or I won't be able to see you" but I think it's his way of encouraging me or letting me know I'm doing good. These people have always known me as big so I'm sure someone might say something as I get skinnier, but I'm going to brush it off as jealousy, since most of them are unhealthy and overweight/obese.

When it comes down to it, it's your body and as long as your dr is okay with it and not worried, I wouldn't care what others say.