just wanted to vent...

Options
13»

Replies

• auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I could not be a server or waiter, I would probably stab someone with a fork. My minimum tip for anything is 5 dollars. I dont care if I ordered a cup of coffee its 5 bucks ! Unless of course the meal goes over 20% of 5 bucks then I usually tip 20-30%.

I have gone out to eat with friends/ family and I think the most embarrassing thing is when your with someone and they want to leave a terrible tip and make the "they get paid regardless statement".
    Well, they do get paid regardless. I never tip, as a rule. No one gives me a tip for doing their tax returns, no one tips my husband for fixing their machines. Its a job.

Enjoy your special place in Hell.
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The waiter/waitress tipping thing really irritates me.

PEOPLE, IF YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO TIP WELL, YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO GO OUT TO EAT. Simple as that.

I totally agree! :drinker:
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The waiter/waitress tipping thing really irritates me.

PEOPLE, IF YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO TIP WELL, YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO GO OUT TO EAT. Simple as that.

If your income relies on you hoping other people giving you free money they're not at all required to give...maybe you're in the wrong business?

Maybe try a different job, or quit complaining?

I'll never understand why people are so miserable or get mad at others yet stick with it.................................

You realize it's a choice.

They have the choice to tip, and you have the choice to be complainy and stay?

Good luck with your give-me-money-even-though-you-dont-have-to-so-i-can-be-happy goals of 2011.

:)

I understand other countries have different tipping practices, however in the United States, it's rude and ignorant to not tip your waiters/waitresses for the work they do. Some professions rely on tips, and their minimum wage paychecks reflect this.
  • stampede55
    Options
    Those that don't tip should be forced to deliver pizzas to the ghetto in an ice storm with a sign on your back that says "rob me please, I'm carrying cash" How quickly your tune would change....if you made it out alive :laugh:

I speak from experience.....turds.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I could not be a server or waiter, I would probably stab someone with a fork. My minimum tip for anything is 5 dollars. I dont care if I ordered a cup of coffee its 5 bucks ! Unless of course the meal goes over 20% of 5 bucks then I usually tip 20-30%.

I have gone out to eat with friends/ family and I think the most embarrassing thing is when your with someone and they want to leave a terrible tip and make the "they get paid regardless statement".
    Well, they do get paid regardless. I never tip, as a rule. No one gives me a tip for doing their tax returns, no one tips my husband for fixing their machines. Its a job.

Wow! This is why I no longer work in a restaurant, because of ignorance.

I always tip 20% if not more.
    Serving is the same as any other comission based job really

now if the waitress/waiter is a crab @ss, his or her tip will be affected. I waitressed and would do it again if I had to but I plaster a smile on my face and work for that tip haha some places will pay $3.00/hr but that's rare.

I was livid one time when I went out with a group for a bachelorette party and they charged gratuity....that's the norm for parties over 8. One of the women wrote "*kitten* off" on the tip line b/c of it! Then showed everyone like she was bragging about it. I just looked at her like she was a dumb@ss and asked, "and we're HOW OLD??" (she was in her 40s btw) "That's just unnecessarily rude and trashy...I'll pay your damn tip since you obviously have no class" I then apologized to the waitress, who had been doing a wonderful job for that woman's behavior.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

Anyway ....anyone else got something to vent about?

Since you're a hobbyist and didn't charge her, I highly doubt the photos were amazing. Should she be complaining to you? Probably not.

But you complaining here doesn't make it better.

And how unprofessional of you to complain about a client because they were not pleased. Offer a re-shoot, or to do some creative editing.

I'm allowed to vent...unprofessional would have been me venting on my website or facebook fan page where her and her friends could read.

And I happen to think the photos I take are pretty nice. :bigsmile:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Those that don't tip should be forced to deliver pizzas to the ghetto in an ice storm with a sign on your back that says "rob me please, I'm carrying cash" How quickly your tune would change....if you made it out alive :laugh:

I speak from experience.....turds.

Yikes!!!!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Wow, had no idea wages were so low in US, we're lead to believe that you pay next to nothing for food and petrol , was that $3.31 a Litre or a gallon. cos I thought it was per gallon in the US which would make it $5.30 a gallon. Whatever its still a rip off!

Also, you have to understand, the American dollar is not worth what it use to be worth. There are many places that don't want our money when we have to do a currency exchange
  • ellisalockwood
    Options
    I tip based on attitude, If the food is crappy, it's not the waitresses fault, and if she's busy and overwhelmed, that's not her fault either, but if you come to my table with attitude, don't expect a tip from me, if you come to my table and your faking a smile when you really just want to scream, but you keep a good face and a good attitude, yeah, you will be tipped well, no matter how bad the food was or how often I got my cup filled, because dangit you're trying.

I don't feel bad for not tipping bad waitresses either, you chose the job, do it to the best of your ability, and if you can't, find a new job. I also never felt bad when slacking employees didn't get a raise.

I can't stand when they add gratuity to my bill, I hate it, it ticks me off and it's usually smaller than what I would have given them, but it still bothers me, because seriously, It's me, my husband, and our 6 very well behaved kids (in public, because I'm not afraid of public beatings) and you add gratuity, really, they are all under 15. So I just make sure that they know they would have gotten more if they hadn't added it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I do agree, But I also tip, unless service is bad, if it's great then I will give a great tip. I was raised on a waitress's income, I know how hard it is, but I also know that they aren't the only ones living off of that same income. I really don't understand the tip concept, because it is a job, and you get paid for your job period. And really it's so frustrating listening to people complain about money, everyone except the rich are in the same boat right now. I work in the schools as an instructional assistant, and got a 2.00 an hour pay cut this year, and others got 3 dollars cut, and those who went to school for years, received their masters in teaching, were forced to retire or take my job. I was okay with the pay cut, because it saved 180 classified positions, there really is a bigger picture, others are struggling too.

Do you realize that they get paid just maybe 2 dollars an hour and LIVE for the tips?? Wow!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

Anyway ....anyone else got something to vent about?

Since you're a hobbyist and didn't charge her, I highly doubt the photos were amazing. Should she be complaining to you? Probably not.

But you complaining here doesn't make it better.

And how unprofessional of you to complain about a client because they were not pleased. Offer a re-shoot, or to do some creative editing.

I'm allowed to vent...unprofessional would have been me venting on my website or facebook fan page where her and her friends could read.

And I happen to think the photos I take are pretty nice. :bigsmile:

I'm sure they're lovely! I didn't mean that they weren't good photos, just not what she clearly had in mind.

However, venting about a client in any open, online forum is unprofessional. Sorry. It's perfectly fine to be frustrated but once you put it out there, it can't be taken back. Potential clients in your area could very well see that and think, well of that's the way she treats people I will go elsewhere.

It's just not a good business practice.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Do you realize that they get paid just maybe 2 dollars an hour and LIVE for the tips?? Wow!

Well, they dont in the UK. They get paid minimum wage. The service is included in the bill. Suppose if the did get paid $2/hour then I would definitely tip. But then, the bill would be lower as service is not added to it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    They get paid min wage or higher here. Min wage is different from state to state, I think my state is one of the highest, but its only different within a dollar or so for the most part. There are so many other jobs that pay just min wage too, but they don't get tips.

Well, they dont in the UK. They get paid minimum wage. The service is included in the bill. Suppose if the did get paid $2/hour then I would definitely tip. But then, the bill would be lower as service is not added to it.