Skipping Breakfast

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    let's say you eat 1 ginormous meal a day vs breaking it up into 3. As far as weight loss/metabolism it might be a wash but how would one just eat one meal (no matter how large that one meal is)?
    With a fork?

If you have a day job, I'd probably consider keeping it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    let's say you eat 1 ginormous meal a day vs breaking it up into 3. As far as weight loss/metabolism it might be a wash but how would one just eat one meal (no matter how large that one meal is)?
    With a fork?
    You too buddy. Maybe if you asked questions that made sense, you'd get better answers.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could train yourself to only eat one meal a day but I'm not sure how that would affect your insulin levels etc....thoughout the day. I'd THINK that spreading out the calories would tend to keep your body more on an even keel than eating just one meal a day.

^ It requires getting used to. Are you familiar with leangains protocol/Martin Berhkan, and are you familiar with how ghrelin regulates hunger? Not asking this with an arrogant tone just to clarify.

Also, insulin response is irrelevant if you do not have medical issues that are insulin specific. Some people (myself included) adjust very well to short term fasts, and fasted training is absolutely BALLER if you're the type that can handle it. Some can, some can't.

I would never suggest Intermittent Fasting for everyone as it SEEMS to be something that people either love, or can't do.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Love the advice of people with no pictures.........lol
    Me too. I’m fit, run regularly, eat healthy & weigh 124lbs fully clothed. I’ve always been height proportioned to weight most of my life. I have been on here & working with a dietician only because I am donating a kidney to a friend. She advises eating breakfast is smart. End of story. People are going to do what they want to do in the end.

Im 121 lbs with clothes, fit, run, and lift. I'm here to track my macros. I skip breakfast every single say and im studying to BE a dietitian.
    Are we story topping? Because it doesn't matter IMO

So you have no idea why she says that? You just agree? *sigh*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Love the advice of people with no pictures.........lol

What difference would pictures make?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You would prepare the food and put it into your mouth?

Not sure I see what the issue is. I've done all my calories in 1 meal before, feels freakin' amazing honestly.

EDIT: Not trying to be a d1ck here Jeff, I just don't see where you're going with this.

If I ate one big meal at 7:00am. I'm pretty damned sure I'd be hungry as hell again by lunch or definately at dinner. The point being while the studies are technically correct (I'll assume they are), I think the point is that people that might only eat one meal, in reality end up eating something else during the day. Thus ending up eating more food VS someone that split up that huge calorie binge thoughout the day.

I suppose you could train yourself to only eat one meal a day but I'm not sure how that would affect your insulin levels etc....thoughout the day. I'd THINK that spreading out the calories would tend to keep your body more on an even keel than eating just one meal a day.

Leidy HJ. et al. The influence of higher protein intake and greater eating frequency on appetite control in overweight and obese men.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Sep;18(9):1725-32. Epub 2010 Mar 25

"The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dietary protein intake and eating frequency on perceived appetite, satiety, and hormonal responses in overweight/obese men. Thirteen men (age 51 +/- 4 years; BMI 31.3 +/- 0.8 kg/m(2)) consumed eucaloric diets containing normal protein (79 +/- 2 g protein/day; 14% of energy intake as protein) or higher protein (138 +/- 3 g protein/day; 25% of energy intake as protein) equally divided among three eating occasions (3-EO; every 4 h) or six eating occasions (6-EO; every 2 h) on four separate days in randomized order. Hunger, fullness, plasma glucose, and hormonal responses were assessed throughout 11 h. No protein x eating frequency interactions were observed for any of the outcomes. Independent of eating frequency, higher protein led to greater daily fullness (P < 0.05) and peptide YY (PYY) concentrations (P < 0.05). In contrast, higher protein led to greater daily ghrelin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. normal protein. Protein quantity did not influence daily hunger, glucose, or insulin concentrations. Independent of dietary protein, 6-EO led to lower daily fullness (P < 0.05) and PYY concentrations (P < 0.05). The 6-EO also led to lower glucose (P < 0.05) and insulin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. 3-EO. Although the hunger-related perceived sensations and hormonal responses were conflicting, the fullness-related responses were consistently greater with higher protein intake but lower with increased eating frequency. Collectively, these data suggest that higher protein intake promotes satiety and challenge the concept that increasing the number of eating occasions enhances satiety in overweight and obese men."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal, you read on bb.com back in the summer where this one bodybuilder ate one 5000 calorie meal every day? Lol, he even showed pictures of before meals, and then empty dishes. Was awesome. =)
    Options
    Physique and good information are not related, period. I can name people who constantly give good advice and have no .avi and I can also unfortunately show you some people who look great and spew out incorrect BS that they learned from a bodybuilding magazine.

<3 yes!
  • CP533
    CP533 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've always skipped breakfast, but recently started a new job that means getting up earlier and I was getting hungry before lunch time so have started to have a small breakfast - typically a breakfast bar. After a plateau of no weight loss for 3 months my weight has started to drop off again. My total calorie intake is the same, and actually I'm doing less exercise as have less spare time.

I've been a bit stressed with my now job, but the hours are the same (have to get up earlier as longer commute) and its just as active as my previous job.

I'm wondering if its like 'starvation mode'. When your asleep your body shuts down, when you wake up and get active again and if you don't eat then your body thinks it might not get food for a while so slows your metabolism to cope and to try to make sure you last as long as possible before food is available (thinking to caveman lifestyle).

good point =)

Its not like that at all.

Your body does a LOT of stuff while you are asleep - YOU BURN CALORIES WHILE YOU SLEEP! in fact most people burn more calories sleeping than watching TV. Seriously.

You know what makes a difference though? Being up longer. When I wake up at 6:45 I tend to eat breakfast - I'm hungry around 9 and I know I won't get to eat until 11:30 or 12. So I eat. But when I wake up later, I tend to just wait 2-3 hours and eat lunch.

Those of us who are telling you its irrelevant are NOT anti breakfast. If breakfast helps you focus and feel good throughout the day THEN EAT IT.

What we are trying to tell the OP is that if he/she doesn't like eating breakfast there is absolutely no SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN reason to FORCE yourself to eat it. Unless you are hungry - people perform tasks better when they are not hungry. But if you're not hungry or dont' have tiem til noon, as long as you stick to your macros or calories it is FINE to eat your first meal at noon.

I know your body burns calories while your asleep, etc etc. I've always been in the camp of total cals in vs total cals out is what matters, not when you eat. But the fact is that since eating breakfast my weight has started to drop again. It had stopped over summer - I increased my exercise, tried yo-yoing calories, but nothing had an effect. I had a BMI of 22 so didn't want to over do it by reducing my cals too much so just continued to log and was quite happy. Then started my new job - I sleep the same amount so I'm not up for LONGER, just earlier. Instead of waiting till lunch to eat, so about 4 hours after getting up, I now eat breakfast. I still eat pretty much the same for lunch and dinner (breakfast is under 100cals so not much adjustment needed to reach the same total calories). In 6 weeks I have lost 4 pounds.

I'm not advocating for or against breakfast, and the op can do what they want based on all the comments made. I just thought I'd share my experience and see what the thoughts are about it, as I'm curious as to why my weight has started to drop again, and at a pretty quick rate (I'm actually a little worried about it!!!).
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    With a fork?
    You too buddy. Maybe if you asked questions that made sense, you'd get better answers.

You are incorrectly assuming I could give 2 rabbit turds about any answer you are currently offering.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal, you read on bb.com back in the summer where this one bodybuilder ate one 5000 calorie meal every day? Lol, he even showed pictures of before meals, and then empty dishes. Was awesome. =)
    ^ Nope, that one doesn't ring a bell. I think Manu is at 5k/day though :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    With a fork?
    You are incorrectly assuming I could give 2 rabbit turds about any possible answer you are currently offering.
    I don't remember offering you an answer. My comment was merely intended to convey the fact that your question didn't make any sense. Now please stop talking to me.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    ^ Nope, that one doesn't ring a bell. I think Manu is at 5k/day though :)

Yea that guy is just awesome. His training video he was doing like 800lb barbell shrugs.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    With a fork?
    You are incorrectly assuming I could give 2 rabbit turds about any possible answer you are currently offering.
    I don't remember offering you an answer. My comment was merely intended to convey the fact that your question didn't make any sense. Now please stop talking to me.

With a fork is an answer. So you got out zinged at your own game. Congrats
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Physique and good information are not related, period. I can name people who constantly give good advice and have no .avi and I can also unfortunately show you some people who look great and spew out incorrect BS that they learned from a bodybuilding magazine.

<3 yes!

I have no good information to add other than I might possibly give my right arm for a butt like that (in your picture). :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    With a fork?
    I'm not playing a game, Jeff. But I'm really tired of yours. I'm not going to respond to your nonsense any more, so you can just have fun all by yourself, OK? You're really not worthy of my time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    With a fork?

In reading the quote above it looks like "with a fork?" was a question, not an answer. Just sayin.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

You would prepare the food and put it into your mouth?

Not sure I see what the issue is. I've done all my calories in 1 meal before, feels freakin' amazing honestly.

EDIT: Not trying to be a d1ck here Jeff, I just don't see where you're going with this.

If I ate one big meal at 7:00am. I'm pretty damned sure I'd be hungry as hell again by lunch or definately at dinner. The point being while the studies are technically correct (I'll assume they are), I think the point is that people that might only eat one meal, in reality end up eating something else during the day. Thus ending up eating more food VS someone that split up that huge calorie binge thoughout the day.

Leidy HJ. et al. The influence of higher protein intake and greater eating frequency on appetite control in overweight and obese men.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Sep;18(9):1725-32. Epub 2010 Mar 25

"The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dietary protein intake and eating frequency on perceived appetite, satiety, and hormonal responses in overweight/obese men. Thirteen men (age 51 +/- 4 years; BMI 31.3 +/- 0.8 kg/m(2)) consumed eucaloric diets containing normal protein (79 +/- 2 g protein/day; 14% of energy intake as protein) or higher protein (138 +/- 3 g protein/day; 25% of energy intake as protein) equally divided among three eating occasions (3-EO; every 4 h) or six eating occasions (6-EO; every 2 h) on four separate days in randomized order. Hunger, fullness, plasma glucose, and hormonal responses were assessed throughout 11 h. No protein x eating frequency interactions were observed for any of the outcomes. Independent of eating frequency, higher protein led to greater daily fullness (P < 0.05) and peptide YY (PYY) concentrations (P < 0.05). In contrast, higher protein led to greater daily ghrelin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. normal protein. Protein quantity did not influence daily hunger, glucose, or insulin concentrations. Independent of dietary protein, 6-EO led to lower daily fullness (P < 0.05) and PYY concentrations (P < 0.05). The 6-EO also led to lower glucose (P < 0.05) and insulin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. 3-EO. Although the hunger-related perceived sensations and hormonal responses were conflicting, the fullness-related responses were consistently greater with higher protein intake but lower with increased eating frequency. Collectively, these data suggest that higher protein intake promotes satiety and challenge the concept that increasing the number of eating occasions enhances satiety in overweight and obese men."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363

That's great for the study. But if I eat one big meal in the morning, I'll be hungry well before the day's end. And therefore will be tempted to eat again.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    With a fork?
    I'm not playing a game, Jeff. But I'm really tired of yours. I'm not going to respond to your nonsense any more, so you can just have fun all by yourself, OK? You're really not worthy of my time.

Promise?
    Options

<3 yes!

I have no good information to add other than I might possibly give my right arm for a butt like that (in your picture). :)

Haha you and me both! (i wish it was mine lol) one day!