You have another ________ coming

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I'm having a debate with my co-workers. I've always thought the saying was "You have another "think" coming, as in your kid says he is going to the park and you reply with "if you think you're going to the park before you do your homework, you have another "think" coming". Granted it doesn't make a lot of grammatical sense, but in the logical sense, the kids first "think" was wrong, so he better come up with a new one.

My two co-workers say the saying is "You have another "thing" coming. I say it doesn't make sense, how can you have "another" thing coming, without having a first? They say 'going to the park" is the thing, but I don't agree.

I did some googling (yes I am very bored) and it seems half the world says "think", the other half say "thing". Those who say think, say people might think (no pun intended) that it's thing because phonetically think does sound like thingk, and the KA ending of think blurs with the CA beginning of coming, so therefore over time people thought it was "thing".

So, what do you think (haha) it is as why?

Replies