Are there still people like this?

Options
13»

Replies

• PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Some breeds are more violent than others - that's just the way it is. The reputation for pit bulls was earned as a breed. Sure there are exceptions, but the rule still applies. Beware of pit bulls! -- I had a beloved dalmatian who couldn't stay out of the garbage - our or our neighbors. Turns out stealing food is part of the breed's makeup. And so it goes.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Apparently cocker spaniels are the most vicious, but they don't look it. Like seeing a small, sad looking man walking down the street, and seeing a larger man running and carrying a crow bar on the other side of the street. Which side do you want to walk down at first glance? You don't know that the small man is a triple black belt with a rage disorder, and the larger man's car broke down and he's just in a hurry to get to work. We make snap judgments in self preservation.

I think it's unfair to judge someone based on their judgment of animals. Exercising caution is reasonable when meeting a strange animal, especially if it's running loose and large enough and equipped with teeth and claws that could seriously harm you. And children should be taught that they should not approach an animal unless the owner has indicated it's safe. Also, they should be taught how to approach and pet an animal so they don't accidentally provoke them.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of most dogs.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am SO PROUD of the bully support on here :)

Now, that being said, i want to apologize on behalf of the breed to ANY OF YOU who have yourself or know someone who has been attacked by one of these breeds. I can assure you, they are not all bad (just like people, you like some, you don't like some) and i am deeply sorry your encounter was violent or frightening, it is absolutely not fair to any of you!

And yes, i also agree that bad temper is a breeding problem, right down my road a man is breeding Labs and has two overbred, 150+lbs of neurotic males. They are exactly the kind of dog that freaks me out, just because you never really know when they're out of the fence until they lunge at you. And i'm only 4'8", so they lunge at my face (NOT COOL) . It's not their fault that whoever bred to get them didn't do their homework or was only breeding for a certain color, and they don't know that getting out of a fence is bad.

I can only hope that those of you with ANY of the misunderstood breeds (Rottys, German Shepards, Bully dogs, etc) advocate for them and raise your dogs to interact properly with people-maybe if enough respnsible owners appear the reason for (completely legitimate if you've been attacked) fear will vanish!

And again, those of you who have been senselessly attacked, i hope you can learn to forgive the dogs that did it, or at least the breeds they came from!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Now, that being said, i want to apologize on behalf of the breed to ANY OF YOU who have yourself or know someone who has been attacked by one of these breeds. I can assure you, they are not all bad (just like people, you like some, you don't like some) and i am deeply sorry your encounter was violent or frightening, it is absolutely not fair to any of you!

And again, those of you who have been senselessly attacked, i hope you can learn to forgive the dogs that did it, or at least the breeds they came from!

Thank you for your apology, Troll...... on behalf of all of us who have been attacked.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some breeds are more violent than others - that's just the way it is. The reputation for pit bulls was earned as a breed. Sure there are exceptions, but the rule still applies. Beware of pit bulls! -- I had a beloved dalmatian who couldn't stay out of the garbage - our or our neighbors. Turns out stealing food is part of the breed's makeup. And so it goes.

They can be aggressive with other dogs, but they're not supposed to be aggressive to people at all. Some are, just like some collies or labs are.

To see how perspective has changed, Petey of the Little Rascals was a pit, and a beloved companion to a bunch of children in the 1930s.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was shot at by a human once before. But I am not terrified of all humans because one @$$ hole attacked me. That would be ignorant of me.

Yes, but if you were in a similar situation, and a similar looking person assumed a similar stance as your attacker prior to being shot at, then I'm sure your gut level reaction of fear would kick in. That's called being human, not being silly.

If that were true, then I wouldn't be able to do my job. I am a cop, and 99% of the people that I deal with look like that first person. But looking like them does NOT mean that they act like them.

My gut reaction is NOT to now fear all black males in the Wal-Mart parking lot. That WOULD be silly.
  • Brandi_Lee
    Options
    I’m sceptical of any animal until I get to know them. For me it not so much fear but the unknown. Animals are such a huge part of the human lifestyle but no one knows what they are thinking at any particular time. I love any animal once I get to know them.
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share my story. I own 2 dogs that are border collie mixed with australin cattle dogs and one day I was out walking the male and the neighbors dogs got out. They have a pit bull and a cockapoo and when I saw them approaching I was more terrifed of the pit bull. I stood in front of my dog and tried to protect him since he was only 7 months at the time and scared and the pit bull was not the one who attacked me it was the cockapoo he bit my leg and I had to see the doctor for a tetanus shot since it became red and swollen.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I like pits, but I absolutely understand why people are scared of them. My one experience with a dog bite involved a pit. In the town my parents are from, the type of people who own pits are the type that shouldn't own dogs. Or have children. Or plants.

Our neighbors had 2 that they kept chained up and didn't socialize. They were always escaping. One morning one was in our yard and was pissing our German Shepherd off. I grabbed the chain and took it home. When I knocked on the door, the guy opened it up and yelled, "WHAT?!?!" I said, "I HAVE YOUR DOG!" He expressed surprise that she let me bring her home without biting me. Ummm, if you think your dog is going to bite someone, you should make certain it doesn't get loose. Sure enough, one day it got loose and attacked my daughter. She still has a scar from where it bit her on the leg. She got away when one of her friends kicked it in the face while another pulled her up onto a wall.

People are automatically scared of my dog even though she's a giant coward. I don't blame them for it. She's a big German Shepherd who could do some serious damage. Not that she would, but they don't know that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    People mistake my pug for a pit bull ALL the time (don't ask me why, they look nothing alike) and yeah, they're scared. I've had plenty of people ask if my "pit bull puppy is dangerous" while he's wiggling his butt and putting his ears down trying to get attention and generally looking adorable.

Most towns I've been to have a law against even owning a pit bull breed inside the city limits. I have a friend who rescued four from a shelter and she had to put up 3 fences just to get homeowners insurance, then the homeowner's association made her give up 3 (the other was a mix so she told them it was a lab).
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    a pug is a pretty innocent looking dog isnt it?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was taking out my garbage, and my neigbors dog, without provocation came charging, barking and growling after me. The dog was not tied up and I had found him in my yard before - again, acting irritated and agressive. Scared the crap out of me - I shook and was crying the rest of the evening. Most of the bad press and terrible stories I read are about pit-bulls

So, although I know most dogs don't attack and aren't mean, don't be surprised if I decide that I'd rather not agree that it's o.k. for people to have breeds of dogs that have been known to attack. I've learned my lesson and always take my garbage out with a wary eye.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    People mistake my pug for a pit bull ALL the time (don't ask me why, they look nothing alike) and yeah, they're scared. I've had plenty of people ask if my "pit bull puppy is dangerous" while he's wiggling his butt and putting his ears down trying to get attention and generally looking adorable.

LOL... really!? I don't see how a pug and pit could be confused by anyone! I can't think of two breeds less similar to one another. (I have three pugs)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

LOL... really!? I don't see how a pug and pit could be confused by anyone! I can't think of two breeds less similar to one another. (I have three pugs)

Honestly I was shocked. i'd post a pic of them but I haven't gotten that to work yet, but they're small dogs (20 lbs and 14 lbs) and they have smushy wrinkly faces. I've decided it's that people around here don't know what a pit bull looks like, so they think bull, bull dog, smushed face, pugs have smushed faces. But pugs are balls of furr, slobber, and blubber-- I'm pretty sure there's not a muscle in my pugs' bodies. lol People can be ignorant-- not knowing what a pit even looks like doesn't mean they aren't scared of them.