Public or Private school?

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I went to public school and my sister went to private school. From what I have learned from her and experienced for myself is that there are a lot of regular students in both and some **** tards in both but in private school the teachers can devote more attention to the kids and basically keep a closer watch. I don't know about how rigorous the academic programs were at her private school but my public school was an absolute joke, I literally would have learned more if I had spent those 4 years working at McDonalds. That being said, I did move on to college and am a successful 4.0 student so there is hope for public school kids, don't worry.
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    Boarding school, got expelled,,,,that feckin' worked....lol
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    My kids go to public school. I don't agree with the private schools locally and they don't offer as many programs as the public school. Choice may be different if we lived in a large city but due to what my personal options are no doubt public is our choice. My husband and I also went to public school and we turned out fine. He did go to a private college but it was the only college in town (fighting cancer he couldn't add in traveling for school too)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I went to Private school all threw Junior High and High School.

I would choose Private school ALL the way!
    umm...good argument for private schools. :flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    I'm not gonna be able to read this thread without my head exploding, given interesting comments like "being able to say God without getting in trouble" (public schools release children from EDUCATION time to go to "release time for religious education" and it screws with the schedule for academic classes").

Just something to think about. My family is Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran. Family of origin that is. They are EXTREMELY rigid and conservative in their views. EXTREMELY. And there's some great people in the synod and all that. AND THEY'RE SO EXTREME in their conservativeness, they tend to like to shelter their children and will sacrifice a GREAT deal to keep their little popkins safe from the big bad "world" and its "worldliness". Really nice people though. Working class, salt of the earth folks. Who go through GREAT expense and sacrifice to send their little ones to K-12 church-based education.

Yeah. And I was going to public school and one of my boyfriends in high school had transferred to our school from the religious school at my family of origin's home church. Yeah. Regularly, every day regularly, LOTS of the kids were doing lines of coke in the bathroom. Cocaine. Not Coca-Cola. And the girls were sluts.

My aunt who was sent to a WELS church in another state as a child--boarding school? Yeah, they got blasted every weekend. EVERY weekend. Junior high.

So make your choices, but I was never drunk before I graduated and I've never actually seen cocaine and pot only once. I got a half tuition scholarship to the private university I went to, and started as a Sophomore. Public school.

Plus the standards for teachers are generally higher and the pay higher to work in a public school. Another thing to think about.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

Oh. Oh my.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member

And I bet you still own your skirt
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg
  • jetscreaminagain
    And don't even start me on the ridiculousness of homeschooled kids who have joined the public school (they ain't all winning the spelling bees) and charter schools. My uncle (also WELS) sends his kids to the most ridiculous charter school because he won't send them to "government" schools. Government money is fine but not government standards.

yeah, his kids have been successful. The oldest failed out of two (2) colleges--one an extremely expensive right wing "university" that chooses not to be accredited (how do you fail out of that?!?!?) and the other a large public university. That kid also went to private Christian school.

He has five more kids, and its hard to keep straight, but generally. Yeah, no. Not stellar academically. NOT a big win for the charter/homeschool/insular-Christian-school movement.
  • jetscreaminagain
    And don't even start me on the ridiculousness of homeschooled kids who have joined the public school (they ain't all winning the spelling bees) and charter schools. My uncle (also WELS) sends his kids to the most ridiculous charter school because he won't send them to "government" schools. Government money is fine but not government standards.

yeah, his kids have been successful. The oldest failed out of two (2) colleges--one an extremely expensive right wing "university" that chooses not to be accredited (how do you fail out of that?!?!?) and the other a large public university. That kid also went to private Christian school.

He has five more kids, and its hard to keep straight, but generally. Yeah, no. Not stellar academically. NOT a big win for the charter/homeschool/insular-Christian-school movement.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for private school.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for private school.

Nope
    I may have just changed my mind.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member

This is why I plan on selling all my twinkie babies on the black market. :flowerforyou:
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member

What did you throw?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member

That's grate! :flowerforyou:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    i went to both. I think your argument is perfectly dispelled based on the overall cirriculum standards and scoring levels of the educational facilies you are evaluating.

I was an Honors student at both levels and found school rather boring. Having gone to both a Catholic Private and non-religous private I found to be mored bored off my rocker than when I was at public school. That could be a direct effect of the social standards of the kids and their families, or not...

I say evaluate and choose wisely
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I'm a strident believer in the public school system, and the more people that leave, the worse it will become.
    I get what you're saying. I do. But if it's terrible, why should they STAY? The kids who want a better education should not have to stay just because it'll "make public schools worse." It's a sad thing when whiny parents want their kids treated like "royalty," but it's quite another when the advanced kids just aren't challenged because the teacher has to educate/cater to the class average. AP and honors classes just weren't challenging for me. Nor for a lot of my classmates. And I went to school in several different states, so it wasn't just one school system that was bad. I opted to skip my senior year entirely and attend classes at the university.
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member

This is why I plan on selling all my twinkie babies on the black market. :flowerforyou:

I just wash them down the drain
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member

What did you throw?

Junior High and High School. Pay attention.
  • I went to a private school from the age of 4 to 16, but now I attend a public sixth form.

I'd love to give my future children a private school education and I plan on doing so.