Public or Private school?

Replies

• irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    I'm not gonna be able to read this thread without my head exploding, given interesting comments like "being able to say God without getting in trouble" (public schools release children from EDUCATION time to go to "release time for religious education" and it screws with the schedule for academic classes").

Quote me all you want, but every place is different - in our area, public school is not released for religous education, and children are discliplined for bringing up religion in our public school. That was how we based our decision - plus our school system is a joke. My husband is a police officer and sees the behind the scenes behaviors and would never let our children attend public in our town.
  • I went to Private school all threw Junior High and High School.

I would choose Private school ALL the way!

What did you throw?
    That's some talent right there. I threw javelin but never an entire high school. I guess they only taught PE and skipped English at your school.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Depends on the school. Not all public schools are bad and not all private schools are good.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    I went to Private school all threw Junior High and High School.

Well her parents at least tried to help her by sending her to private school. :ohwell:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member

What did you throw?
    That's some talent right there. I threw javelin but never an entire high school. I guess they only taught PE and skipped English at your school.

You must have been trying to throw the public schools. Private schools are smaller and easier to throw.
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member

What did you throw?

Junior High and High School. Pay attention.

SILLY ME
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    After reading through the way that some comments were written out, I would dare say that there is much room for improvement in both sectors. I am the product of public schools as are my children.
    I believe the single most important factor in a child's education is the direct and regular involvement in the classroom and the school. My children's school has a policy of mandatory parental involvement in the school and school functions. It seems to have made a world of difference when compared to kids from different school districts in the same town.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    It depends on the child, and it depends on the public school district, and private school in question. Many public school districts in the US are hurting for funds, and therefore slipping and cutting back on important education for kids. Some school districts are dangerous and suffer from crime/drugs/gangs. If your child would attend such a district, it would be worth it to try to make private school work.

Assuming you live in a perfectly fine public school district, you may still want to send your kids to private school bc 1. private school holds a status that is important to you, 2. there may be a specialty private school that appeals to your child and would enhance her talents, 3. something about the private school is more appealing than the public school (religious affiliation, smaller classes, etc). 4. some other reason :)

Keep in mind that not every private school is "all that". Private schools typically pay their teachers less than public schools (what a shame)! As a result, private schools may have a higher percentage of new teachers and/or "comfortable" old teachers who do not need to achieve tenure. This may or may not be a good thing. Private schools do not usually have bussing, although certain public school districts provide bussing to private school. Private schools may or may not have equivalent sports or academic opportunities compared to the public district. Generally, the higher the property taxes, the better the public schools. If you're paying property taxes through the nose, your public school is probably a pretty good bet.

Now, the main consideration: the child. I have 3 easy kids who could go anywhere and be fine and 1 challenging one who needs to be in public school or in a specialized private school. My challenging child has ADHD and a non-verbal learning disability, despite having an exceptional IQ. He also has perfect pitch, is extremely musically talented, and can play any instrument he picks up immediately. He can sing or identify whatever note you ask him to. It is a VERY odd mix. When he was little, he was extremely hyperactive and we were asked to remove him from a performing arts kindergarten. He attends public school and is doing very well now in 8th grade (but it has been a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG road).

A generic private school is NOT the way to go if you have a kid like this, and it also may not be the right place for a kid with other sorts of special needs. This is not to say the public school route is easy, however, private schools are not required to create or comply with an IEP (Individual Education Plan) the way public schools must, and usually do not provide services during or after the school day such as OT or speech, as a public school would. Public schools have special needs classrooms and classroom aides that may help certain children with certain disabilities. Private schools typically do not.

If the private school will work with your child's special needs, you will still need to go through the public school or private services elsewhere to get OT, speech, or whatever -- that means YOU and your child will have to take extra time away from homework, coaching, sports, etc. to complete these things. If your child has any behavioral issues such as hyperactivity, chances are that a private school will either not accept them, or will eventually kick them out.

So . . . it's a complicated thing.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    My son will go to private school. He is already in the preschool so we already have a leg up.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    I'm a strident believer in the public school system, and the more people that leave, the worse it will become.
    I get what you're saying. I do. But if it's terrible, why should they STAY? The kids who want a better education should not have to stay just because it'll "make public schools worse." It's a sad thing when whiny parents want their kids treated like "royalty," but it's quite another when the advanced kids just aren't challenged because the teacher has to educate/cater to the class average. AP and honors classes just weren't challenging for me. Nor for a lot of my classmates. And I went to school in several different states, so it wasn't just one school system that was bad. I opted to skip my senior year entirely and attend classes at the university.

I'm on my iPad, so typing is a pain....and this will be brief. If everyone leaves, the schools will never get better, and students who can't afford private, or aren't lucky enough to "win the lottery" and get into a charter school will just lose. If your schools are *kitten*, get involved and help make them better, rather than taking the "easy" way out and just opting out. (I say easy with quotes because I know for many families bankrupt themselves to put their kids through school...)

Maybe because I come from an elementary school background where classroom differentiation is not only the norm, but expected--meeting the needs in both my social studies and language arts classes at the middle school level for all of my students, whether they are advanced, average, or struggling easier for me. (holy run on, Batman!)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Actually how good a school is depends on the individual school, not its classification as public or private. Again, your child can always take advantage of the AP and Honors programs at public school, and it is far easier to be at the top of your class at a public school. I know some issues of public school includes class size, but that isn't an issue in advanced classes because less people take them. In my old high school, which contained 3000+ students, AP and Honors classes contained 14-24 students per class.

I am a science teacher at a private school...I have 29-31 students in any given class I teach. When I taught in a public school we were mandated by contract and a state law that said we could only have 24 per science class. Private schools don't have to hire certified teachers, they don't have to follow state rules to some degree. There are pros and cons to every school. I have great kids at my new school and had some great kids at my public school way back when, despite being a underprivledged public school. You need to assess each school on its own merits. If my kids were band kids, artists or really wanted a lot of AP classes I would probably want them in a suburban public school as the options there are immense.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Private. I went to private schools so it's just what I know.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Can I ask what percentage of children in the US go to private school? Judging by this thread it sounds like it is more than the 7% here in the UK.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Montessori magnet! Rah rah rah!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    how about you ask what your daughter would like?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    If your schools are *kitten*, get involved and help make them better, rather than taking the "easy" way out and just opting out.
    Oh, if it were this easy. I guess when I was in school, it wasn't something that would have occurred to me to do. The parents really need to do this. It shouldn't be up to the students to make the schools better. All I knew at the time was I was bored, and the teachers couldn't help me much. They suggested after school programs and such, but that's MORE work. I wanted my existing classes to be fun and exciting. I wanted to have to WORK for those good grades. I would blow the curve in my classes. (And I had some annoying teachers who would point this out to the class, so everyone hated me for getting such good grades. This did not help me.) I guess as advanced as I was, I didn't think there was anything I could do about it. I was only a kid.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    After teaching in the public school systems in the US...I'd have to go with private :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    it doesn't matter which as long as your child has the motivation to study and the desire to learn :-)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    it doesn't matter which as long as your child has the motivation to study and the desire to learn :-)

AGREED!! And parenting is a key factor as well. Just by you posting for an opinion shows how much you care about your kids and their future...your child has already been given a great advantage. :heart:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member

No - no words. No words to describe it. They should've sent a poet.

2w23s49.jpg