How do you log healthier foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I haven't started this thread, for people to come in here and be messy. I don't have time for people immaturity. If you don't like me, fine. Stay your distance. I'm not going to argue with you.

I'm still confused as to why you started this thread if you don't log... And as far as I can tell, no seems to be benefiting from this thread..

To answer your question though, Most people would look up the hamburger that they had at McDonald and log that... and then log what they cooked at home.. or at least thats how I do it.

I don't think it matters if MFP knows the difference.. I mean a hamburger, is a hamburger no matter where you get it from..what it's made out of, the toppings and bun is what distinguishes McDonald's from a homemade hamburger.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I make burger, I typically log the amount and type of ground beef I use (85/15? 93/7?), whatever condiments and other ingredients I use, the bun and the cheese.

When I make mexi-burgers, which contain salsa, egg, onion and crushed tortilla chips and taste AMAZING, I saved that as a recipe. I might have to alter the recipe a little if I used a different grade of beef.

I'm not logging food to lose weight. I'm logging so I make sure I eat enough and to get the proper nutrients. It's not and has never been "dieting" in the "I'm on a diet" sense of the word, even when I was losing.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    If I make something on my own as opposed to something that is pre made, then I will choose to do one of two things. I will either go to the recipes and add my own recipe or just simply break it down by ingredients. For example, if I don't want to add a recipe then I will go to "Foods" and type in each ingredient individually. For a hamburger, I would start off with the bread, then the meat, and whatever else I added. It works out that way too. Hope this helped.

P.S. I understand what you are saying now. The answer is Yes, MFP does know the difference. Sometimes I will choose KFC chicken strips when I really just cooked chicken strips at home. KFC is going to be higher in calories of course, but sometimes I'm just to lazy to break it down the ingredients and choose the KFC option instead. If I was to just enter my own chicken strips and what I used to make them, there probably would be a significant difference in the calories and sodium.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Did anyone bother reading her explanation? It doesn't matter if she chooses to log food or not. Doesn't make her any less worthy of all the support we can offer.

AZackery - When a person logs food, there is an amazing variety of foods available in the database. Not only are there different entries for fast food burgers and home made burgers, most of the time you can find the exact information for a burger with cheese, half a bun, onion, ect ect. It's pretty awesome how easy it is to get the exact information for what you are eating. And, if the exact food item isn't entered into the database but you know the nutritional information, you can enter it in yourself. It's a really helpful tool. So while some people beat themselves up over food choices needlessly, chances are what they have logged is pretty darn close to what they actually ate.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

It seems she is trying to get a better idea of the accuracy involved when food logging so she can better support her friends, although she herself chooses to not log.
  • FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    AZackery,

I was NOT trying to be funny...i actually WAS funnny...lol....but that was not my purpose. The purpose in defining the term DIET
    was to clarify exactly what you were saying for those who were confused and assumed that your question was fruitless and silly.
    INSTEAD of judging you i actually was lightening up this thread since it seems its getting testy. Keep Calm and Carry On :happy:

Lighten Up Everyone....Literally and Physically:wink:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused as to why you started this thread if you don't log... And as far as I can tell, no seems to be benefiting from this thread..

To answer your question though, Most people would look up the hamburger that they had at McDonald and log that... and then log what they cooked at home.. or at least thats how I do it.

I don't think it matters if MFP knows the difference.. I mean a hamburger, is a hamburger no matter where you get it from..what it's made out of, the toppings and bun is what distinguishes McDonald's from a homemade hamburger.

Dad106, are you saying that I can't post on here, unless someone benefits from my thread?

A lot of people post threads about them losing weight. How does their weight loss, benefits me? My loss will never benefit anyone but myself.

I have a right to post what I want on here, as long as I don't break the rules. I'm not asking anyone to read my post. Please respect me, just as I'm respecting you.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    For everyone that understood what I was talking about. I want to say thank you.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    AZackery,

I was NOT trying to be funny...i actually WAS funnny...lol....but that was not my purpose. The purpose in defining the term DIET
    was to clarify exactly what you were saying for those who were confused and assumed that your question was fruitless and silly.
    INSTEAD of judging you i actually was lightening up this thread since it seems its getting testy. Keep Calm and Carry On :happy:

+10
  • FlexAppeal79
    Options
    [/quote]
    +10
    [/quote]

Gracias Papi!:happy:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    AZackery,

I bet youll be required to do math to prove that that was your purpose in clarifying what you understood her to mean.
  • FlexAppeal79
    Options
    [/quote]

I bet youll be required to do math to prove that that was your purpose in clarifying what you understood her to mean.
    [/quote]

:laugh: .....Now THAT was funny
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Dad106, are you saying that I can't post on here, unless someone benefits from my thread?

A lot of people post threads about them losing weight. How does their weight loss, benefits me? My loss will never benefit anyone but myself.

I have a right to post what I want on here, as long as I don't break the rules. I'm not asking anyone to read my post. Please respect me, just as I'm respecting you.

A. I don't think I was disrespecting you..and B. I answered your question.. Did you even read my reply all the way through or did you just focus on the first sentence?

Don't get all defensive when I did what you asked.

P.S No I was not saying you can't post unless someone benefits from the thread. What I was saying, was all the posts I was reading had nothing to do with the original topic, so if someone was to read it, they wouldn't really benefit from it.. Understand now?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    AZackery,

:laugh: :laugh:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    AZackery,

:drinker: :laugh:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    r2rnzk.jpg

i'm a little late to the convo but i almost wet my pants laughing at that...