Canned pumpkin puree?

Options

Replies

• jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I just mix it with a little honey and pumpkin pie spice and eat it with a spoon!
    Or mix it with yogurt. Yum! Also delicious in oatmeal :D

YUM!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    There is a thread right here on MFP that is loaded with ideas and recipes. Everything from breads and muffins, to oatmeal, risotto, chili, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/343589-if-you-re-a-pumpkin-lover

And someone mentioned "skinnytaste." A friend of mine recently posted this link:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-fall-recipes.html
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Another fan of pumpkin and oatmeal.

Also make soups out of it as well.

Just had leftover pumpkin frittata for lunch from Saturday's dinner.

I mix it, and pumpkin pie spices, into Greek yogurt and pop it in the freezer for awhile to have a super chilled froyo-type dessert.

Use a can of it with a box of spice cake mix and make killer low-cal pumpkin muffins.

Mix with ricotta and herbs/seasonings for a ravioli filling (or roll in thinly sliced eggplant and bake)

Ummmm...that's the top of my head stuff (other than pies, bars, and breads, of course). But it's a pretty versatile product that can done up savory or sweet. I love it. :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Pie.
    Soup.
    :)
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    add it to a box of carrot cake mix or spice cake mix (the whole can) and mix (don't add anything else, no eggs no oil) then bake... and only a yummy 77 cal's a muffin too...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    add it to a box of carrot cake mix or spice cake mix (the whole can) and mix (don't add anything else, no eggs no oil) then bake... and only a yummy 77 cal's a muffin too...

Are you making mini muffins? There are a few caloric differences regarding brands of cake mixes, but I have checked a lot of them, and the cake mix alone was well over 100 cals. If you have found a lower cal mix, I would love to know about it.

I make these muffins all the time when I am in a pinch: 12 muffins @ 172 calories each.

This is right from the nutrition data base on MFP and matches up with nutrition panels on the boxes.

Betty Crocker - Spice Cake Mix (mix only), 1 package 1,928 calories
    Libby's - Pure Pumpkin - 15 oz Can, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 140 calories
    Per Serving: 172 calories
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas on here....bumping for later.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I mix it into leftover chili for an awesome high fiber lunch ... Mix it with yogurt, pudding mix, and spices for a not-so-sinful dessert... Mix it into my oats, with egg whites and spices and its a fluffy tasty treat for breakfast for evening snack.

Add it to any baked good in lieu of oil/applesauce.

Also makes great microwaved quick cakes! I also just recently used it in my granola... http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2010/10/03/pumpkin-maple-quinoa-granola/
  • Bump!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Are you making mini muffins? There are a few caloric differences regarding brands of cake mixes, but I have checked a lot of them, and the cake mix alone was well over 100 cals. If you have found a lower cal mix, I would love to know about it.

I make these muffins all the time when I am in a pinch: 12 muffins @ 172 calories each.

This is right from the nutrition data base on MFP and matches up with nutrition panels on the boxes.

When I do it I use a standard cupcake/muffin pan and I get 24 muffins per box of cake mix + can of pumpkin.
  • GuillaineC
    GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use it for homemade pumpkin spice lattes.

Heat on stove top on medium in a small pot until steaming:
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (im lactose intolerant, so I use this but you could definitely use regular milk)
    1 tbsp pumpkin puree
    1 tbsp splenda ( can substitue for 1 tbsp of sugar or 2 drops of stevia)

Then add to the pot:
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1tsp vanilla
    - I don't measure my spices I just eyeball it. Use more or less depending on which spices you prefer.

Stir for a minute while still on the stove.

Remove from heat and put into a blender (I just my magic bullet) and blend until frothy, usually about a minute.

Add this to 1/4 cup of extra strong cofee or espresso. I usually use 1/4 cup of water and 2.5 tbsp of instant coffee.

Enjoy!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of suggestions for pumpkin with oatmeal...I will have to give it a try!

I recently made pumpkin bread using whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of oil. It was delicious, and I couldn't taste the difference with the substitutions! Next time I will try substituting the sugar with honey and/or splenda.

Pumpkin pancakes are also really good. But if you're watching your carbs, the bread and the pancakes probably aren't a good idea.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

When I do it I use a standard cupcake/muffin pan and I get 24 muffins per box of cake mix + can of pumpkin.

Does this really work without the eggs? I imagine the muffins would be kind of flat and mushy.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i made pumpkin whiskey bbq sauce and it came out amazing
  • diamondsnthesky
    diamondsnthesky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump for later. Yum... pumpkin!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great for a Thanksgiving dip....pumpkin pie dip! I made it recently for a tailgate...and it went over great! So tasty. Watch out for the calories in the ginger snap cookies though! LOL!!

www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Pumpkin-pie-dip

Ingredients
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Gingersnap cookies
    Directions
    In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, sour cream, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and ginger until blended. Serve with gingersnaps. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 cups.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 64 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Pumpkin Sausage Soup
    Servings:6
    1 (12 ounce) package Jimmy Dean sausage
    1/2 cup onion, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tablespoon italian seasoning
    1 -2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
    4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup water
    Directions:
    1Brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until done.2Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.3Then stir in the broth and mix well.4Simmer 20-30 minutes.5Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minute Taste and add salt& pepper as needed.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-pumpkin-sausage-soup-106467#ixzz1d899RvGu