Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would log it as strength
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Stupid

Do us all a favor people...

If you have nothing nice or constructive to say - then don't say it!

If you have nothing nice to say, come sit next to me.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Stupid

It was pretty constructive. Shake weight is a waste of money and effort...it's stupid. Don't worry about logging it, not going to make a big impact.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would get your heart rate up since it's a quick motion, if you do it long enough. I'd be tempted to log it as some kind of cardio or circuit training or something. But only if you know you're getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for awhile. Best would be to wear a HRM while using it, then check to see how long you were 'in the zone' and a calorie burn estimate. Everybody has to start somewhere, right? I would say if you're doing it for an extended period of time, log it. If you're doing it for just a couple of minutes and then stopping, it might not be worth logging.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Stupid

If I can convince people use their workout time doing something productive, as opposed to the shakeweight, I consider that constructive.

BY being rude? I don't think thats the way to do it. You are wrong..
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Log it as a marketing ploy that you fell for. For anyone that says it's better than nothing...sure, there is that. But it's also far more productive to do....oh just about anything else.
  • puggleperson
    Options
    Stupid

AMEN SISTA!
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At first I thought the OP was trolling...lmao
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    http://www.examiner.com/fitness-and-weight-loss-myths-in-national/busted-shake-weight

Do I really need to talk about the sham Shake Weight is? Seriously! This ranks right up there with the ThighMaster as the worse fitness product ever. All it lacks is a has-been celebrity to endorse it (just haven’t given them enough time). And the movement of its operation is notoriously perverted. However, I will leave that up to Saturday Night Live and South Park to comment.

Once again, I feel almost silly having to talk about its effectiveness. On the same token, I feel as if I must. I know people who have purchased it and people ask me about it all the time. I actually watched a trainer going along with a local TV station, which was providing the product to his clients to test its effectiveness. I couldn’t believe it. It would be like testing the effectiveness of using football cleats as flippers.

Advertisement

So, let me try to explain logistically how this product is among the worse fitness products ever made (if not the worse).

Not Weight Bearing Enough! The commercial tries to fool you into thinking that lifting real weights are ineffective. Quite the contrary! You need to lift weights or have some form of resistance that stress the muscles just enough for there to be results. Even if you’re an old, old lady, the resistance of the 2.5 lbs model for women and the 5 lbs version for men is not going to be enough weight.

No Range of Motion! Now, here is the thing that is most laughable about the product… it uses “dynamic inertia”. This description of this movement is getting a far different meaning in the Urban Dictionary. However, here is its real definition, “the tendency of an object to stay in its state of rest or motion until acted on by an external force.” As far exercise, this state of physics is useless.

Our muscles require you to move with greater, if not full range of motion about a lever (a joint). (read Two tips to maximize your weight training efforts) What in the world, in the real world, do we grab and shake other than tambourines and chocolate milk. You require proper loading of a muscle fiber as it fully shortens and lengthens. There’s hardly any range of motion with Shake Weight. As a matter of fact, the range of motion is virtually nil. I can argue that this “dynamic inertia” can be injurious and decrease flexibility due to the braking mechanics behind the movements. Though I can, for my sake, I’m not going to go into too much detail on that. Nor, do I need too.

Only works the arms! Okay if what I said is not enough to convince you; maybe this will do it for you. Here’s a question I will ask that will help: Do you really think the models they used in the commercials actually got their body, let alone their arms, looking like that with a Shake Weight? Hardly! They went to the gym. Unfortunately, they find people who look good and part aside any ethics to make a buck. No way this product is going to make you look like the guys and gals they use in these commercials.

Hopefully, I have given you enough info for you to realize that Shake Weight is a sham. I truly believe it is among the worse fitness product shams there ever was. The sad part is the product is selling like hotcakes. Please, DON’T buy this product. Save your money or buy something that makes sense.
  • puggleperson
    Options
    Log it as a marketing ploy that you fell for. For anyone that says it's better than nothing...sure, there is that. But it's also far more productive to do....oh just about anything else.

Actually I watched my firends arms get pretty dam toned. Walking, diet and shake weigth every day. She looks great. yes it is a marketing ploy but it worked for her and it can work for the op.. You just feel like being negative but that's typical of most people :D I'm glad I am not like that though :D
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Walmart will take it back, and give you your money. Even if you bought it elsewhere, even without a receipt. Hell, you could bring it in a urine-soaked box, and they will give you money back.
  • killagb
    Options

Actually I watched my firends arms get pretty dam toned. Walking, diet and shake weigth every day. She looks great. yes it is a marketing ploy but it worked for her and it can work for the op.. You just feel like being negative but that's typical of most people :D I'm glad I am not like that though :D
    Kind of like your snippy responses. Get over it buttercup. It's a piece of junk and if you think otherwise you're deluded. Cheers.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If the shake weight doesn't give good results, I've heard good things about the Tug Toner. You can do it at home, in the car, at work......
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the shake weight as long as you "shake heavy." If you can shake more than 10 reps, you need a heavier shake weight.
  • killagb
    Options

I'm also sure it's very helpful of you to positively re-enforce the worst exercise product in existence, just so you're not Nelly Negative. I'm glad I am not like that :bigsmile:
  • killagb
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the shake weight as long as you "shake heavy." If you can shake more than 10 reps, you need a heavier shake weight.
    I thought it was "if you shake it more than twice, you're playing with it"....maybe I'm confused though. :huh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Her arms didn't get "toned" from the shake weight hunny.. It takes heavy lifting of actual weights and a calorie surplus for that to happen. She may have had some fat melt off from the dieting and her arm muscles started to show more but I highly doubt there was any actual "toning"(IE muscle building/strengthing going on.)

To Op:
    Drop the shake weight and lift some real weights. You'll be better off in the long run.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't ask what everyone thought of it, if she had then she would have to be prepared for whatever opinions anyone had to offer, but all she asked was what to log it under, not what you thought of it.
  • PokenStick
    Options

You're pretty funny.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    (double post)

What?!