French Women Don't Get Fat

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
Has anyone read this book? What did you think??? I just started reading it tonight.

Replies

• amunet07
    Options
    Has anyone read this book? What did you think??? I just started reading it tonight.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    NO I HAVENT READ IT YET, HOW IS IT SO FAR?
  • amunet07
    Options
    So far so good. I'm only in the first 2 chapters but basically it is about portion control and no eliminating your have-to-have comfort foods just portion control and have them when you really need them and a receipe for Leek Soup that is supposed to "reset" your balance and deal with water retention.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I've been wondering how this bok is. Please share your thoughts when you finish it! The opening chapters sound promising. :bigsmile:
  • amunet07
    Options
    I've been wondering how this bok is. Please share your thoughts when you finish it! The opening chapters sound promising. :bigsmile:

Will Do. :happy:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i skimmed it a while ago.
    from what i remember, it pretty much reiterates what we're doing here: portion control, nothing is off limits, walk as much as possible, etc.

has lots of recipes and explores concepts of food journals.

interesting concepts. i would recommend it as a good read, dieting or not.
  • amunet07
    Options
    I am now 3/4th through it. It does have some of what we are doing: portion control, not eliminating favorite foods totally from your diet but limiting them, drink water, add more movement, eat more fruit etc.

BUT

It doesn't agree with MFP by not eating between meals, and not eating any of your exercise calories.

It does have lots of recipes which is great for those who want to bake their own bread and make their own yogurt... but I don't enjoy it in my tiny kitchen. :ohwell:
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Actually,my mother is in law french and she is not fat. She visited for a week and ate three meals a day. At the end of every meal was a salad,cheese,bread and wine. Dinner lasted 2hrs. It was portion control and enjoying the food and lots of talking.
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    I read the book too awhile back.

It is all about portion control while allowing yourself anything you want to eat. The French aren't into '100 calorie pack' anything. They have the real deal but only a bit of it.

Exercise is a huge difference. The French walk everywhere but gyms or working out are nowhere near as popular as Canada & the US. Most women don't work out.

There's also a huge emphasis for French women about feeling good. They are very in tune with themselves from a young age about feeling good: so not eating too much because you will feel yucky and feeling good about how they look and what they wear.

A French woman would have much, much less clothes in her closet tham someone in the US or Canada. They would spend a lot on a few really good pieces of clothes and wear them over and over again. You probably heard how French women are into lingere, they think that it is important to wear things that make you feel good about yourself and that starts with their underwear.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I read the book too awhile back.

It is all about portion control while allowing yourself anything you want to eat. The French aren't into '100 calorie pack' anything. They have the real deal but only a bit of it.

Exercise is a huge difference. The French walk everywhere but gyms or working out are nowhere near as popular as Canada & the US. Most women don't work out.

There's also a huge emphasis for French women about feeling good. They are very in tune with themselves from a young age about feeling good: so not eating too much because you will feel yucky and feeling good about how they look and what they wear.

A French woman would have much, much less clothes in her closet tham someone in the US or Canada. They would spend a lot on a few really good pieces of clothes and wear them over and over again. You probably heard how French women are into lingere, they think that it is important to wear things that make you feel good about yourself and that starts with their underwear.

I want just a few pieces of nice clothing, including nicer underwear.
    Sexy lingerie always makes me feel better about myself, boosts my self esteem.
    A red bra under the most boring shirt makes me feel invincible most days.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    they don't shave their underarms either.

...so pick your poison. *shrugs*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

That's not true, by the way.

Oh and I'm French. And I'm here. And I've met quite a few fat women there.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

prove it. show us your underarms! :angry:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

prove it. show us your underarms! :angry:

my underarm hair feels like kitten fur

oh and it's totally the wine in France. Booze and smoking would solve the obesity epidemic in a heart beat. Duh, just ask the French. That's why the language is so damn sexy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Did you really bump a 4 year old thread to simply, and inaccurately, slam their hygiene. Of which, having met the author of the book, she is immaculately put together, hygiene and all.

Aside from that, your over generalization of a hygiene practice of some women (french or otherwise) in regards to a 4 year old thread discussing a particular book, and the author's recommendations for good diet and lifestyle choices, is odd (polite word).

GRRRRRR fell for it again.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Interesting tidbit:

A couple of years ago we had a French foreign exchange student with us for a year - here in New York USA. She got quite fat while here. Went home to France several sizes larger than she was when she left France the year past.

She is now attending a college in Boston and visited us last weekend. I would not have recognized her. Three years back home in France and living well have slimmed her down beautifully.

I think I'll buy this book the OP is talking about!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Interesting tidbit:

A couple of years ago we had a French foreign exchange student with us for a year - here in New York USA. She got quite fat while here. Went home to France several sizes larger than she was when she left France the year past.

She is now attending a college in Boston and visited us last weekend. I would not have recognized her. Three years back home in France and living well have slimmed her down beautifully.

I think I'll buy this book the OP is talking about!

Lol. You will find it even more interesting then that the author begins her book by discussing her stint in the US as an exchange student and all the weight she put on.

The author, by the way, is the former ceo of the US division of veuve clquot champagne. She is essentially the person that made that label in the States. She is a brilliant buisness woman. She is also tiny, tiny, irrespective of the fact that she eats unabashedly whatever she wants and drinks wine or champagne daily. And last, whe writes well. I've read all three of her books, the last one on women in buisness, and enjoyed them all.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Did you really bump a 4 year old thread to simply, and inaccurately, slam their hygiene. Of which, having met the author of the book, she is immaculately put together, hygiene and all.

Aside from that, your over generalization of a hygiene practice of some women (french or otherwise) in regards to a 4 year old thread discussing a particular book, and the author's recommendations for good diet and lifestyle choices, is odd (polite word).

you're very angry.

you should get that checked out.

maybe you have a tumor or something...

Nope, not angry. I've simply read many of your posts and have formed an opinion of you. You may not like my opinion, but it doesn't stem from a place of anger.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

you're very angry.

you should get that checked out.

maybe you have a tumor or something...

Nope, not angry. I've simply read many of your posts and have formed an opinion of you. You may not like my opinion, but it doesn't stem from a place of anger.

i still think you may have a tumor...

of course that's not a diagnosis, just an opinion.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an interesting read. thanks for making us aware of it. :)
This discussion has been closed.