Breakfast egg cups - less than 90 cals/each!

Options
Kaecklund
Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
Last night I whipped this up and they were pretty good.

I used about 1/3 white onion, 4 slices of bacon, 4 mushrooms, about 5-8 spears of asparagus (I used mini asparagus), 10 eggs, and 4 slices of reduced fat cheddar cheese.

Sautee bacon in a pan. Remove bacon and let drain on paper towels. Boil asparagus, chop into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. In bacon fat, sautee chopped onion and chopped mushroom. Chop bacon. In a bowl, mix chopped bacon, asparagus, onion and mushroom. Distribute evenly into 12 muffin greased muffin cups. (Note: I greased mine, but next time I will use muffin cups as removal was difficult.) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Distribute evenly among muffin cups, covering the veggie mixture. Bake @ 350. I can't remember how long I baked them for, I think it was maybe about 10-12 mins or so. Just keep an eye on it. I topped it off with 1/4 slice of cheese and put it back in the oven just long enough to melt.

Enjoy!

89 Cals
8g fat
8g protein
1g carb

Replies

• Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds so yummy!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    sounds great! thanks for sharing
  • skump425
    skump425 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    are these good for reheating?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic!! I'm going to try a veggie version. Thanks for sharing! :D
  • angela5168
    Options
    bump
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I make these all the time, except no cheese while I'm doing paleo! I make about 12 at a time on a Sunday night and then refrigerate them for the rest of the week, pop em in the microwave, top with a little salt and pepper or hot sauce and it's a quick, healthy, and tasty breakfast!
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dragonssoftballmom
    Options
    sounds great! I'm always looking for breakfast ideas! I'm going to try that.
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    are these good for reheating?
    Great for reheating! Pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds before you run out the door!
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bomp
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    These sound great! I have made something similar, but a little different...check them out: http://healthyeatinginabusylife.blogspot.com/2011/11/breakfast-egg-cups.html
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Last night I whipped this up and they were pretty good.

I used about 1/3 white onion, 4 slices of bacon, 4 mushrooms, about 5-8 spears of asparagus (I used mini asparagus), 10 eggs, and 4 slices of reduced fat cheddar cheese.

Sautee bacon in a pan. Remove bacon and let drain on paper towels. Boil asparagus, chop into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. In bacon fat, sautee chopped onion and chopped mushroom. Chop bacon. In a bowl, mix chopped bacon, asparagus, onion and mushroom. Distribute evenly into 12 muffin greased muffin cups. (Note: I greased mine, but next time I will use muffin cups as removal was difficult.) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Distribute evenly among muffin cups, covering the veggie mixture. Bake @ 350. I can't remember how long I baked them for, I think it was maybe about 10-12 mins or so. Just keep an eye on it. I topped it off with 1/4 slice of cheese and put it back in the oven just long enough to melt.

Enjoy!

89 Cals
    8g fat
    8g protein
    1g carb

Can they be frozen, and then microwaved from the frozen stage? Do you know... ?
    Sounds so great!
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Wow those sound delicious. Going to try them this weekend. Thank you for the recipe.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump! Yummers!!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am definately going to try this recipe, I am always looking for something different for breakfast. Thank You
  • Ginn123
    Ginn123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious - will definitely try it.:wink:
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Going to try this...thanks for sharing!
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump! sound delicious!
  • mazomomma
    Options
    @kaecklund - don't use the paper liners - they don't peel off the eggs very well. I recommend sticking with spraying your pan or maybe using those rubber reusable cups. I haven't tried those yet. Or maybe even line the muffin cups with aluminum foil.