Non processed, easy breakfast

Options
Ive been challenged by my co worker who is a fitness guru, to do a "caveman" diet, Bassically cutting out everything proccessed, and sticking with the basics, veggies, fruit, nuts,eggs and lean meat. I am eating basically fruit in the mornings however i need somthing quick and more substancial to get me through my work outs, that last about an hour and a half in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Any sugestions?

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and nuts. A banana, some blueberries, etc. and some raw almonds or filberts. Yum!
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal

Not sure if these 'count' in your diet:

Cream of Wheat
    Yoghurt

Why don't you just eat eggs for breakfast if you're including them?
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eggs!!
    Eggs keep me going. If I have some oatmeal and an egg or two in the morning i'm good for a long time!
  • Rheatheylia
    Rheatheylia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you tried green smoothies? They're my favorite for breakfast, and a great way to get in extra veggies, plus they're super easy since you can make them the night before and put them in a travel cup. I usually put chia seeds and honey in mine plus whatever fruit/greens that sound good. The chia seeds and honey really give me an energy boost and keep me full for a long time.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Eggs and veggies? Side of fruit?
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    omelet?? and add some meat into it for extra protein to keep you feeling full. :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    egg white omlette with lots of veg in... if you have time to cook. I love porridge too, filling and dont think id class it as processed, but i maybe a dumb *kitten* lol x
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Oats and Oatbran
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Cavemen didn't eat lean meat, they ate the more calorie dense fatty portions.
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do a scramble that takes no time at all and totally fills me for a good 3-4 hours.

You may adjust the portions depending on your needs, but this is what I do:

Use a bit of PAM spray in the skillet

Mix:
    1 egg
    1/8 c milk
    cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dill and a dash of salt

Once egg is cooked I throw in:

1oz of chopped ham or turkey
    1/4 c shredded cheese

It works out to be 225 cal, 19 g of protein and 2 carbs. Not sure if you can have cheese on your diet, but it's a small amount and could be cut out. The other thing I'll do on Sundays is make a 'mini-muffin' tray of omelets for the weekdays when I'm in a hurry.

Tons of great recipes on 'the World According to Eggface' blog.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Eggs.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Egg whites scrambled with spinach and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal in lowfat milk or water with berries to sweeten.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of eggs every morning with whatever veggies I have on hand and sometimes a bit meat that is leftover from dinner. But there is no rule that you must eat "breakfast-y" first thing in the morning, either. How about leftovers from the night before for breakfast? Or a can of tuna with some olive oil on a bed of lettuce? Or some soup if you like something warm in the morning?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Poached or scrambled. Did cavemen use butter? Oil? :wink:
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I make my own "McMuffin":

1) Cook one strip of extra-lean turkey bacon over medium-high heat (about 2 minutes per side)

2) Take 1 large egg white and place it into a small microwavable bowl sprayed with olive oil spray or other non-stick cooking spray (your lookng for one about the same size as the muffin). Microwave 30 seconds. Continue to microwave in 15-second intervals until it is just set completely.

3) Toast a light mutligrain or whole wheat English muffin (pick one with 8+ g fiber). Split the muffin in half; on the bottom place 1 slice of fat-free American cheese, the egg white and bacon. Top with muffin.

This takes maybe 5 minutes to make. 183 calories, 17 g Protein, 25 g Carbohydrates, 5 g fat (2 g saturated), 8 g fiber
  • mehinalani
    Options
    Great ideas, Eggs seem to be the consensus, I am a grab and go kinda girl but i guess waking up ten mins earlier wont hurt. Unfortunatly Oatmeal is out, not in the plan and niether is cheese :(.
  • mehinalani
    Options
    Cavemen didn't eat lean meat, they ate the more calorie dense fatty portions.

Hmmm, your posts tend to be of a more smart assed nature rather then helpful btw. It was more to say no gound beef, processed bacon and what not.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Have you tried green smoothies? They're my favorite for breakfast, and a great way to get in extra veggies, plus they're super easy since you can make them the night before and put them in a travel cup. I usually put chia seeds and honey in mine plus whatever fruit/greens that sound good. The chia seeds and honey really give me an energy boost and keep me full for a long time.

Just wanted to say. You made a beautiful bride! :flowerforyou:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Great ideas, Eggs seem to be the consensus, I am a grab and go kinda girl but i guess waking up ten mins earlier wont hurt. Unfortunatly Oatmeal is out, not in the plan and niether is cheese :(.

I actually eat egg white omelets a lot. I usually make them the night before. Then in the AM I just nuke them to warm them up again. They really do turn out great. I was surprised when I first did it. :happy:
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump