Non processed, easy breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How about Kashi TLC trail mix bars? Costco has them in the family-sized econo-buckets. The only processing that I can see is essentially mechanical-- pressing good ingredients into a convenient bar form... sort of an "on-the-go caveman" food. I inhale these things... I'm pretty down on most granola-y foods, but these are legitimately awesome.
  • mehinalani
    Options
    Great ideas, Eggs seem to be the consensus, I am a grab and go kinda girl but i guess waking up ten mins earlier wont hurt. Unfortunatly Oatmeal is out, not in the plan and niether is cheese :(.

I actually eat egg white omelets a lot. I usually make them the night before. Then in the AM I just nuke them to warm them up again. They really do turn out great. I was surprised when I first did it. :happy:

Did not think that would work.... I will give that a shot Thanks
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the others who have said "eggs". I hard boil a couple and peel them the night before and I'm out the door, usually with a piece of whole wheat toast or english muffin. I read somewhere recently that studies have proven that people who eat whole organic eggs stay fuller longer and loose 65% more weight than their non egg eating counterparts.

On my days off I fry them up with a bit of butter ... yum! :)

I'm not on Paleo or anything but I am adhering to a whole dairy, lean meat (mostly chicken for me, I don't care for fish so much) no preservatives/additives self imposed "diet". And by no preservatives/additives I mean no HFCS or other ingredients that I can't pronounce. lol!

Hope this was helpful.

P.s. I agree, some people do tend to be more smart *kitten*/sarcastic and mean than helpful. I'm taking a risk even posting my response as I am usually attacked and told how stupid I am and that I shouldn't post and responses until I "educate myself".
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, Eggs seem to be the consensus, I am a grab and go kinda girl but i guess waking up ten mins earlier wont hurt. Unfortunatly Oatmeal is out, not in the plan and niether is cheese :(.

At night, I crack 2 eggs into a tupperware container, beat them with a splash of water and some black pepper (occasionally bits of leftover meat), and put them in the fridge. This week I have also been shredding some baby spinach (bagging it separately) to be added in the cooking process.

I bring the eggs to work with me and cook them in the microwave. Only takes a few minutes to cook them (be sure to stir & check every 30 - 45 secs to avoid overcooking).
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Cavemen didn't eat lean meat, they ate the more calorie dense fatty portions.

Hmmm, your posts tend to be of a more smart assed nature rather then helpful btw. It was more to say no gound beef, processed bacon and what not.

I apologize, I post on other forums that are a bit more hard-edged, and I forget that the custom of this forum is a bit different.

The point I was attempting to get across was that a "cave man diet" is based on the faulty assumptions that (1) we know how cavemen ate, (2) all cavemen ate the same and (3) a caveman's diet is optimal.
  • AmandaOW731
    Options
    I just scrambled some egg beaters, two Jennie-O turkey sausage links and some fresh salsa.... it was good and less than 200 cals...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Hmmm, your posts tend to be of a more smart assed nature rather then helpful btw. It was more to say no gound beef, processed bacon and what not.

I apologize, I post on other forums that are a bit more hard-edged, and I forget that the custom of this forum is a bit different.

The point I was attempting to get across was that a "cave man diet" is based on the faulty assumptions that (1) we know how cavemen ate, (2) all cavemen ate the same and (3) a caveman's diet is optimal.
    I don't want to get into a debate here, but after doing a lot of reading about the "paleo" diet, I don't know that those are really the assumptions. Perhaps it was at first, but I believe things have become more nuanced. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'd say that the general assumption is that "looking to evolutionary clues as well as ancestral diets might be a good place to start when forming research questions about what diet is optimal for human health." I've never seen anyone claim that all paleolithic people ate the same or that we know exactly what they ate, but we do know what they probably DIDN'T eat, and so that is where people have looked first for foods that might be leading to chronic disease. The question as to whether a diet that reduces/eliminates "neolithic" foods is optimal remains open, I'd say.

I really like this quote by Cordain about "paleo" being a guiding framework (www.cathletics.com/articles/downloads/proteinDebate.pdf)
    The study of human nutrition remains an immature science because it lacks a universally acknowledged unifying paradigm (11). Without an overarching and guiding template, it is not surprising that there is such seeming chaos, disagreement and confusion in the discipline. The renowned Russian geneticist Theodosius Dobzhansky (1900-1975) said, “Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution” (12). Indeed, nothing in nutrition seems to make sense because most nutritionists have little or no formal training in evolutionary theory, much less human evolution. Nutritionists face the same problem as anyone who is not using an evolutionary model to evaluate biology: fragmented information and no coherent way to interpret the data.
  • mehinalani
    Options

No prob, You know us chicks we get cranky when it comes to our wieght. And the "Caveman" thing was more of a nickname not an outline of the diet. Basic out line was given of all natural non processed foods, which makes it difficult to find snacks but that is good because it makes you consider what your putting in your mouth.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I don't want to get into a debate here, but after doing a lot of reading about the "paleo" diet, I don't know that those are really the assumptions. Perhaps it was at first, but I believe things have become more nuanced. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'd say that the general assumption is that "looking to evolutionary clues as well as ancestral diets might be a good place to start when forming research questions about what diet is optimal for human health." I've never seen anyone claim that all paleolithic people ate the same or that we know exactly what they ate, but we do know what they probably DIDN'T eat, and so that is where people have looked first for foods that might be leading to chronic disease. The question as to whether a diet that reduces/eliminates "neolithic" foods is optimal remains open, I'd say.

I really like this quote by Cordain about "paleo" being a guiding framework (www.cathletics.com/articles/downloads/proteinDebate.pdf)
    The study of human nutrition remains an immature science because it lacks a universally acknowledged unifying paradigm (11). Without an overarching and guiding template, it is not surprising that there is such seeming chaos, disagreement and confusion in the discipline. The renowned Russian geneticist Theodosius Dobzhansky (1900-1975) said, “Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution” (12). Indeed, nothing in nutrition seems to make sense because most nutritionists have little or no formal training in evolutionary theory, much less human evolution. Nutritionists face the same problem as anyone who is not using an evolutionary model to evaluate biology: fragmented information and no coherent way to interpret the data.

It's a nice enough theory, but the effect is that you end up excluding foods that are perfectly healthy, and demonizing others that don't negatively affect one's health when taken on moderation.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal or even if you have some leftover chicken, steak, etc from the night before sometimes I'll just eat that.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eggs can be quick! If you have a microwave, just scramble them in a microwavable cup and toss some veggies in there, microwave for about 30 seconds, and voila, instant omelette. And you don't need to add any butter/oil or worry about leaching from a non-stick pan. If you cut the veggies up at night and put them in the cup in the fridge, your total time is under one minute from opening fridge to eating.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

No prob, You know us chicks we get cranky when it comes to our wieght. And the "Caveman" thing was more of a nickname not an outline of the diet. Basic out line was given of all natural non processed foods, which makes it difficult to find snacks but that is good because it makes you consider what your putting in your mouth.

Admittedly, my diet is probably very close to the one you describe, except that when I want pizza or ice cream, I eat it and don't feel bad about it.
  • mehinalani
    Options

You know that when i get to where i want to be, i will be doing that in monderation and just make sure i keep in my cals, but for right now i am not just eating this way for wieght loss, i am training for my first triatholon in spring, so i am trying diffrent fuels to see how it can optimize my work outs.

Admittedly, my diet is probably very close to the one you describe, except that when I want pizza or ice cream, I eat it and don't feel bad about it.

I will pobably do that to when i reach a more stable wieght, however this is not just for wieght loss purposes i am also training for a triatholon in spring so i am really just trying to see what can fuel me the best to optimize my workouts.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I will pobably do that to when i reach a more stable wieght, however this is not just for wieght loss purposes i am also training for a triatholon in spring so i am really just trying to see what can fuel me the best to optimize my workouts.

With what (admittedly little) I know about endurance training, you'd want a lot higher carb diet then the one you describe.

Also, you don't look like you need to lose any more, imo.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

It's a nice enough theory, but the effect is that you end up excluding foods that are perfectly healthy, and demonizing others that don't negatively affect one's health when taken on moderation.
    For a lot of people, I'm sure that's likely the case. That's also why most people accept an 80/20 rule with 20% treats that your body can handle. The only way to really know what foods your body "can't handle" (make you feel like crap, or worse) is to eliminate them for a period of time and then reintroduce them. Some people see no difference at all. So, YAHTZEE for them. Personally, I experience many immediate problems with dairy and grains (except, I think, my acne rosacea, which cleared up nicely when I eliminated those), but I also have something going on causing me to not ovulate/ovulate irregularly. My couldn't really offer any help except to suggest a drug to help stimulate ovulation. Personally, I'd rather start trying to fix things with nutrition if possible before taking a drug. Poking around indicates that gluten and casein might be the first culprits. So, I don't have a problem avoiding those for several months.

However, I don't personally see how 6-11 servings of grains/day is "moderation" at all, especially considering that researchers suspect that only a small fraction of people with gluten sensitivity or even full-blown celiac disease are ever diagnosed since they are now learning that it can manifest in a myriad of different ways that are NOT gastro-intestinal and the antibody tests are prone to giving false negatives. But that's another issue entirely.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Have diced veggies and scramble with eggs and pop in the microwave. It takes all of 2 minutes at the most for them to cook up fluffy in there and the only dishes that need to be cleaned are the bowl you cooked them in and ate them out of and the fork you ate with.
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    fry up some bacon, saute some veggies (we use peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, & onions), add the crumbled bacon, scramble in several eggs, and grate some sharp cheddar (if you are following a Primal Diet... Paleo = skip the cheese) and enjoy with a sliced avocado.

Best. Breakfast. EVER!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Ive been challenged by my co worker who is a fitness guru, to do a "caveman" diet, Bassically cutting out everything proccessed, and sticking with the basics, veggies, fruit, nuts,eggs and lean meat. I am eating basically fruit in the mornings however i need somthing quick and more substancial to get me through my work outs, that last about an hour and a half in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Any sugestions?
    you have to up your protien if you don't have stamina to get thru your workout. You should ingest protien BEFORE your workout to fuel your body for it.
  • mehinalani
    Options

With what (admittedly little) I know about endurance training, you'd want a lot higher carb diet then the one you describe.

Also, you don't look like you need to lose any more, imo.

The Carb thing has been an issue however, ive been trying to utlize alternitive to bread. ie: fruits. I am trying to keep my protien intake up so i can still continue to build mussle. Thank you btw but its still a work and progress.