Would it be weird to bring my own scale?

So, we're going to my parents this weekend, which I find to be a challenge for a variety of reasons (I won't go into that now). I'll still be able to log in to MFP, so that's no biggie. The thing is, I have been weighing in on Sundays, and it also seems to be my lowest day of the week weight-wise. (I seem to have fairly steady fluctuations if I track my weight daily).

So, is it weird if I bring my own scale to do my weigh-in? My parents have a spring scale and I'm not really thinking it'll be accurate, never mind the differences between different scales. I'm wondering if my husband will really start worrying that I've gone off the deep-end with this weight stuff. I'm also thinking if I don't do an accurate weigh-in, I'll make that into a reason to go off and eat whatever I want.

So what do you vote: bring my own scale or not?

Replies

• honestly i would bring my own scale. I have always been told to weigh in with the SAME scale and honestly i dont think its too odd to bring your own
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Take your scale!!!! I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks about it. And, enjoy yourself!
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Weigh in when you come home. It's not a big deal to weigh in a day late. Are you going to take your scale with you every time you go somewhere?
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Take it with you! I say that you also make sure you weigh yourself a couple of times just to make sure all is well...especially if it's digital. I've noticed a change when we've moved our scale from one bathroom to another so make sure you weigh a couple of times in a row just for consistently. :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'd just weigh myself on Monday and be aware that there may be fluctuations.

Consistency is good, but we have to remember not to become slaves to our scales and schedules, too.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    I vote to bring it along!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    I don't think that it's weird to be excited about your weight loss, but bringing your own scale along does sound a bit odd. Whatever floats your boat though, and if your success at getting healthy depend on weighing yourself accurately, then do it.
  • I say take it! The folks might think its weird, but I don't think anyone on MFP would! Definitely don't try to use any other scale.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Yeah, it would be kinda weird.

As long as you're comfortable with being weird, I say go ahead.
  • I would say take it but make sure you transport it carefully! I always worry about moving my digital scale.
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    I've taken my own scale before, but I wouldn't do it again. Being able to step away from it for a day (and weigh the next week, or Monday when you return) is something that makes me feel healthier.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    I vote for leave it at home, skip the weigh in all together. It will be home waiting for you as incentive... if you weigh often like me, which I read you like to do, knowing that you don't have the scale there might persuade you to make really healthy choices.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Bring it...shows you are serious and self-motivating!!! :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    I'd just weigh myself on Monday and be aware that there may be fluctuations.

Consistency is good, but we have to remember not to become slaves to our scales and schedules, too.

I'd do this. :smile:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Take the scale! You'll feel more comfortable and you won't break your formed habit to weigh in on Sunday. For me, it would drive me crazy to do it a day late whether it was okay or not just because it was my habit that I developed for a reason. (BTW, I weigh daily...LOL..just my habit!)

It boils down to what you're comfortable with! '
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Bring it! It will eliminate a lot of undue stress.
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    My boyfriend's brother brings his whenever he visits. I never saw anything wrong with it. Even when I wasn't dieting!

If you're afraid of being conspicuous to your parents, just bring it in a bag and keep it in the room you'll be sleeping in.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Bring it. You gain a ton of freedom by worrying less about what others think. :D
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I vote to leave your scale at home. Use your parents scale to weigh yourself and when you get home, weigh yourself to do a comparison. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't take your scale to the doctor's office, right? You'll be fine.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Take the scale with you!! I totally would too! Better yet, take it with you so that you can SEE the difference between yours and your parent's scale.. then next time, you will know.. "Ok, last time it was 3lbs higher then my scale, so ill subtract 3" and not have to take yours again.. Just use it to "eye ball" it and see if you're in the range you think you should be.. :)