Raisins....HOLY MOLY!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Its a dried fruit..its not going to hurt you. And like I said..is anyone a nutritionist on here? So who are we to say what is good and what is bad? Don't get so butt hurt over small comments..geeze
    Are you suggesting that only nutritionists should be allowed to comment on the forums?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Its a dried fruit..its not going to hurt you. And like I said..is anyone a nutritionist on here? So who are we to say what is good and what is bad? Don't get so butt hurt over small comments..geeze
    Are you suggesting that only nutritionists should be allowed to comment on the forums?

No, actually I am saying that people should stick to with what they know, rather than jumping on *kitten* to prove someone wrong. Its so rude. Really? Get over it. Obviously a nutritionist would know in the long run that eating raisins isn't going to hurt. Sure its loaded with calories but did anyone talk about "good calories" ..its going to pass through your system, so therefore its not going to stick to you and make you fat. And why am I having to defend someone who ate a bunch of raisins? If they want to eat it..then let em.. who cares!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much all sugar with some fiber. 2 cups of raisins is like 8 servings, and would be equivalent to at least 8 cups of grapes, How could 1 person eat that much?

Easily!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

No, actually I am saying that people should stick to with what they know, rather than jumping on *kitten* to prove someone wrong. Its so rude. Really? Get over it. Obviously a nutritionist would know in the long run that eating raisins isn't going to hurt. Sure its loaded with calories but did anyone talk about "good calories" ..its going to pass through your system, so therefore its not going to stick to you and make you fat. And why am I having to defend someone who ate a bunch of raisins? If they want to eat it..then let em.. who cares!

i do actually know. and my butt isn't hurt. i wouldn't allow someone like you to actually hurt me. just trying to get the OP some decent advice. :heart:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yea raisins are loaded with sugar.... as with any dried fruit.... Also, I've heard that grapes are actually not great for you anyways - though they are delicious. They don't have much nutritional value at all - Raisins are the same way.....

As for healthy easy snacks.... I love --
    *nuts (not peanuts - try pistachios, almonds, cashews, etc) - calorie dense but loaded with good for you stuff
    *Cottage cheese (can be high in sodium so don't eat too much)
    *fresh fruit - apples, clementines, plums, strawberries, etc
    *fresh veggies - carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers
    *veggies w/dips - hummus is fantastic.... as is tzatziki dip -- also love cucumber dipped in salsa
    *vitatops if i want something cakey - really good with some vanilla greek yogurt
    *greek yogurt - higher in protein, lower in carbs than regular yogurt, very tasty too!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options

i do actually know. and my butt isn't hurt. i wouldn't allow someone like you to actually hurt me. just trying to get the OP some decent advice. :heart:

Thank you.. stick with what you know and Ill stick with what works for me =)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Raisins. Got it. I just want to know what 'butt hurt' means now. This doesn't have anything to do with the after school special about creepy uncle Larry does it?
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, how about we post the actual nutritional info? :flowerforyou:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2050/2

By actually eating two cups (which I agree probably isn't typical!), you got 70% of your RDA for potassium, 50% for copper and manganese, about 30% of your B6, 10g of protein, some EFAs, 50% of your fibre....they are just incredibly calorie dense.

I know no one will go look at the link, which is sad, because it's really interesting.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

not exactly good advice... sorry. eat as many as you want? and they 'won't be stored as fat? hmm.

Well quit saying silling things!

A caloric SURPLUS will be stored as fat - whether it's from raisins or Snickers bars. And just because something shoots through you like greased lightning does not mean you haven't absorbed ALL the calories from it.

If that were the case I wouldn't have put on 15 pounds of Taco Bell :laugh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry let me clarify...

Didn't sit and eat two cups of them...LOL...I am looking for something to snack on other than chips and "stuff"...and thought rasins...should be good right...thought about snacking through the day and pulled the # out of the air...sorry

Thank goodness! I was wondering how someone would feel after that! A good snack with raisins would be to mix them with some nuts and make your own trail mix. If you make your own, you can get raw and/or unsalted nuts to mix with it. You can make a very filling and tasty snack this way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/5311/2

Raisins vs cookies - You decide which is healthier!!

Cookies have NO vitamins and very little minerals. Raisins have 0 g fat and cookies have 7 g. Cookies have 85 mg of sodium, raisins only have 3 mg.

Though raisins are high in carbs and sugar, for the most part, they still reign as the healthier snack!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    by the time this is posted you must know how your *kitten* is doing by this time, no? *eeek*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hey, how about we post the actual nutritional info? :flowerforyou:

By actually eating two cups (which I agree probably isn't typical!), you got 70% of your RDA for potassium, 50% for copper and manganese, about 30% of your B6, 10g of protein, some EFAs, 50% of your fibre....they are just incredibly calorie dense.

I know no one will go look at the link, which is sad, because it's really interesting.

One step ahead of me!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Raisins are nature's candy.