When friends tell you, you are too skinny, what is it really

Options
2»

Replies

• santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Losing weight makes people happy and self confident! You worked hard and feel accomplished. Along with this comes: a cuter wardrobe, lots of compliments from those who knew you when you were heavier, attention from the opposite sex, and a desire to be more outgoing. Maybe your friends arent "jealous" of how great you look, but they might prefer the more withdrawn person you used to be.
    My fiance LOOOVES that he can pick me up and carry me around now, but he cringes when I dress up to go out. He knows some bone-head is gonna gawk at me. My bff is no longer the one getting all the attention from men. My mom cant make snide remarks about my weight, so now she bugs me about whether or not I'm healthy.
    Screw 'em. It's new to them now, but they will get used to the happy, thin you and they wil move on.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    There's no picture reference so hard to say

And you should be avoiding the BMI and get your bodyfat % done. That will probably have a better bearing at what your "ideal" weight should be.
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    Are your friends taller in comparison to you? In high school, my best friends were 5'4" and below and very petite, and I'm 5'8.5" and very curvy. I always felt MASSIVE compared to them (even though I was a healthy weight for myself) because they wore size 0 jeans, when in reality, it's just that our body makeup is different. I always thought they were sooo skinny, but it's just the fact that I was comparing my height and curves to tiny girls.

Maybe they're experiencing the same kind of view?
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and at my highest I was 158 lbs my lowest 117 lbs. I am now down to 125 trying to lose 5 more. I've had a few people tell me that I looked better when I was heavier, and that I shouldn't lose anymore weight. But they don't have to live in my body. I want to be comfortable and proud in my own body. I am just finally getting my self confidence back. I say do what you think is best for you and ignore their comments. I'm sure most of what they say is out of jealousy.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this;

Is your BMI healthy?
    Is your BF healthy and at least 17-18%?
    Do you eat at least 1200 cals a day?

If the answer is YES to all of those, SCREW THEM! You are right, they are wrong - but they are your friends, try replacing my phrase screw you with something nicer, LOL!
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If all your friends weigh 200 lbs or more, they may have come to think of that weight as "normal" and therefore you do look ridiculously skinny to them - no jealously involved.
    My boss, who I would consider to be at her ideal weight, went to Singapore and when she tried on clothes, she was told by the salesperson that they didn't carry XXL. Obviously I have a different view of normal than that sales clerk does.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My boss, who I would consider to be at her ideal weight, went to Singapore and when she tried on clothes, she was told by the salesperson that they didn't carry XXL. Obviously I have a different view of normal than that sales clerk does.

This remainds me of a Russell Peters joke that is too funny, youtube it if you can.

He needed pants while on tour in China and needed a 36 and the sales person said (add accent here) "Noooooo!You TOOOO BIG! Come back when you are a size 33 NO BIGGER!"

I learned the hard way not to buy OSFA (one size) dresses from China on ebay. I fell in love, figured it would work since all their dresses are empire waist and flouncy, it cut off my ability to breathe since i'm a 34D and it was meant for an A maybe a B cup. Ah well, resold for profit on Craigs List, love CL!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    i'm currently 5'11 and 147, BF is about 19%. when people say i'm "thin", i correct them and tell them i'm 'lean'. they are slowly getting the idea, i think, especially when i flex :D
  • MissGoHard
    MissGoHard Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think that when we change our eating and exercise habits, basically our lifestyle, those closest to us are forced to look at their own. The more we change our lifestyle and the more we change (or lose weight), the more evident it is that theirs perhaps needs to also and they don't like that.

You are not way to skinny, you are healthy.

I understand where you are coming from because its hard to let comments from your closests friends just roll off your back, but unless one of your friends is a certified doctor I would just keep it moving =) You have to be happy in your skin!
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options