Going to the bathroom?

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Going to the bathroom/restroom 2 to 3 times a day is healthy.

Going 1 time a day to a couple days a week isn't healthy. You are constipated. You don't have to feel constipated to be constipated.

This is false. In terms of frequency, anywhere from once every 3 days to 3 times a day is healthy (when it comes to #2).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    As said above, increase your fiber and water intake. You may also want to avoid caffine. I can't have any, because it causes me to get very stopped up.

Also, make sure you are doing some exercise. Working out helps keep things moving.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    how much water do you drink, that affects how fast things are pushed through your system
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    they say that you could be holding 10-15 pounds or more of waste -- which of course affects your weight. And also, I'd think that holding that toxic stuff in your body can't really be good for you. probiotics may help..... and increasing your fiber intake... I am always well over my fiber goal - and I never have any problems in that area.... :) (today my fiber was at 35g, yesterday 27g, the day before 42g) -- plus fiber makes you feel full! *Note - not all veggies/fruits are high in fiber
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I had the same problem until I started to take probiotics. I take Ultimate Flora from Renew Life. 1 a day. This was recommended by my Dr. and I have not looked back since. I take them for 1 month at a time, every 3 months or so. As a matter of fact, it helped a lot with my digestion. I am regular now (every day, sometimes twice!).

Also, since I stopped eating meat 5 months a go, I feel like a million bucks. Tthe combination of both has drastically improved my quality of life as I was always tired, crampy, gassy and in pain. My headaches are gone.

I'm 39, eat a balanced diet of mostly non-processed foods, fish, fruits and veggies water and tea. Cut out most of the sugar and don't eat salt. I exercise 2-3 times a week.

Please keep in mind that it is different for everyone. I think that you should speak to your doctor and explore the possibilities. Luckily, mine is very open minded and suggests, on a regular basis, natural foods and products vs. a bottle of medicine :-)

Good luck!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    This is false. In terms of frequency, anywhere from once every 3 days to 3 times a day is healthy (when it comes to #2).

Really?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    they say that you could be holding 10-15 pounds or more of waste -- which of course affects your weight. And also, I'd think that holding that toxic stuff in your body can't really be good for you. probiotics may help..... and increasing your fiber intake... I am always well over my fiber goal - and I never have any problems in that area.... :) (today my fiber was at 35g, yesterday 27g, the day before 42g) -- plus fiber makes you feel full! *Note - not all veggies/fruits are high in fiber
    If you are holding 15 pounds of waste you need to see a doctor right away!
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mix coarse grind black pepper, sea salt, lemon juice, and warm water up. Then drink it. It should work.

I think that would make me throw up. What's the science here? I DO know that warm (fresh) lemon water acts as a natural laxative (and cold (fresh) lemon water acts as a natual diaretic BTW).

Not sure what the pepper and salt have to do with it.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I think that would make me throw up. What's the science here? I DO know that warm (fresh) lemon water acts as a natural laxative (and cold (fresh) lemon water acts as a natual diaretic BTW).

Warm water by itself will work.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It has all been said in previous posts....

WATER, WATER, WATER
    HIGH FIBER VEGGIES
    WALKING
    DAILY STOOL SOFTENER, (WALMART GENERIC IS BEST PRICE) WHICH MAY BE X 2 IF NECESSARY...

GOOD LUCK...
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Calculate your BMR and make that number your calorie goal.

I had a similar problem, calculated my BMR and realized I'd been eating WAAAY under calories....... I bumped up, and since then the problem's been resolved
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem until I changed my diet. I stopped eating red meat, mostly just eat chicken now, add lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I also add 3 tbsp. of flaxseeds to my salad everyday and drink a lot of water. Stay away from dairy products or cut down on them. I don't have any problems anymore, which is wonderful.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Re: your question about pasta - if you happen to have a gluten intolerance that you might not be aware of, yes, this can cause constipation. Maybe try some gluten free pastas or even rice for a little bit and see if that helps.

Definitely track your fiber if you're not already and try eating more fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains HOWEVER, please make slow change with your fiber increase! Too much at once could have the opposite effect. Some of these foods have a bonus effect because green leafy veg and whole grain foods tend to be high in magnesium which can help with digestive system function. Also eat more nuts and seeds.

The thing with caffeine is it can be dehydrating which will won't help. Cut down in your coffee/soda consumption or switch to decaf.

If you think stress may be part of the problem, make relaxation a priority. Give yourself time every day to just relax and let your mind clear. Try yoga and meditation.

I also find distraction can help. If I'm having a busy morning, I'll sit in the bathroom with a book or play a game on my phone and just let the world fade away and that can really help!
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is great because it's a very easily digested form of fibre. Flax seeds are great too but you really have to take them milled for the best effect. You can mill them yourself or buy a pack of ready milled ones. Ditto the water - need plenty.

On the caffeine front, I have to say I believe coffee is wonderful for getting things moving!
  • servilia
    Options
    Mix coarse grind black pepper, sea salt, lemon juice, and warm water up. Then drink it. It should work.

The salt will draw water to the bowels, softening the stool. Look up the salt flush.
  • servilia
    Options

Really?

Yes. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    The salt will draw water to the bowels, softening the stool. Look up the salt flush.

I did not know that. Thank you for the info.
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To this day i have the same problem, and I take in quite a bit of fiber and drink a gallon of water. When i was juicing though I found a bowel movement every morning upon waking up .

ginger + celery + Apple + 1 lemon = Healthy digestive system for me

on occasions throw a bulb of garlic in that as well