Are you stressed about money like me?

Options
Okay, I just had to post something because I wayyy overshot my budget and don't have any prospects on additional monies for the next few days. I'm worried about bank charges the whole 9 yards. I've never had to budget so tight but with bf being laid off since October, I'm carrying most of our bills as unemployment doesn't pay that much in FL (tops out at $275 a week). So, now that I got my rant out....I realize sitting here worrying about it won't help, but that seems to be my nature.

Anybody else going through similar?

Replies

• porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just had to post something because I wayyy overshot my budget and don't have any prospects on additional monies for the next few days. I'm worried about bank charges the whole 9 yards. I've never had to budget so tight but with bf being laid off since October, I'm carrying most of our bills as unemployment doesn't pay that much in FL (tops out at $275 a week). So, now that I got my rant out....I realize sitting here worrying about it won't help, but that seems to be my nature.

Anybody else going through similar?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I already planned my "unemployment budget" when everything started hitting the fan. My husband was laid off at Christmas, but I'm used to him being out of work. He's been staying home with the kids since the youngest was a baby.
    But now things are getting worse and it looks like there may be layoffs here. So I budgeted everything out on a spreadsheet with my measely unemployment estimate. Not pretty.
    I get very upset when the kids complain about the food in front of them because I think that they're in for a rude awakening when there's barely any food and they have to eat whatever I can find.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    In ways that cannot even be imagined!!!

My man has been looking for work since mid-October. This is a guy that can take a car apart and put it back together. But because he's got no tools and no certification, he can't do what he was born to.

Walmart won't even hire him - God knows why - he has plenty of recent retail experience as well.

It's not that there are no applications to fill out, there just aren't any INTERVIEWS to be had - from anyone anywhere it seems. We're starting to feel locked out, for sure.

I am carrying insurance (which costs more) for my son, but I can't get him healthcare cuz there's no $$ for the co-pays - the equation is kinda sad, if you think about it.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    At the way the economy is, your far from being alone. Just do what you can and exercise to keep the stress down.

Good Luck...
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Gosh Christie... No, not going through anything like you are. Money is deff tight, and it's getting harder and harder to pay our bills on time every month... But both of us still have our jobs (hoping to still have mine come spring time tho), so we aren't feeling it as bad as you.
    It's such a hard time right now for everyone! It's really scary, and I don't really want to know what's in store for us in the future. Keep your head up girl, the only thing you can do is keep doing what you're doing, try the best you can, and hope to get out on the other side with your feet on the ground! I'm here for you to b!tch at though if you need someone... I'm good for that! :flowerforyou:
  • csantos1182
    Options
    holy crap I know what you mean:explode:
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    kinda scary cause we're moving from Canada to Florida, a job offer for my hubby is taking us there, but wow, all I hear about Florida recently is how there's no work! frightens me a little to leave everything behind here.....schools, jobs, healthcare, friends...so scary.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate with a government job. It's a secure job, and the money really isn't too bad. However, I'm terrified. If I don't get a decent alimony from my husband, I will have to get a second job. And even those are hard to come by these days! Retail agencies are laying people off! Restaurants probably still have openings, but I doubt it's as easy to walk in and get hired off the street as it used to be. If I have to do it, I will. But it's scary, scary times right now. I'll be praying for everyone having a hard financial time.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I soo relate...
    I OWE taxes... not just a little either. There was a mess up with my W-4 and it nailed me!
    As a single parent teacher it's killer!
    So much for getting a house.

I am also worried cause I am moving after this school year and am not sure if I'll be able to find a teaching position due to uncertainty on my future husbands job (military)... and him not sure where we will be when he gets home! So, I can't apply to teach cause of that... but with the economy I am not sure I can find any job!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My DH has been hanging on to his job for dear life for the past 6 months, every month or so, there is another redundancy. My GP has just siged me off work for another 2 weeks - a total of 5 weeks now, as my depression has taken over again since my son ran away for the 7th time in 8 months - he's home now and back to work - he also suffers with depression and fueg states of mind. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't say he ran away, as he has no idea what he is doing when these fueg states occur.

I know mine is not through unemployment, but I do sypathise with you guys, I know where you're coming from as I am having to budget too, its a case of, as long as we can provide a roof over our childrens heads and food on the table, anything else will just have to wait.

At the end of the day there's no point beating ourselves up over something that's beyond our control, although, sometimes, it seems the only thing to do.

Jackie :flowerforyou:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are many jobs anywhere. I work in furniture and if most of you know NC was the furniture capital and that isn't looking too good right now. My company started layoffs last week and I have heard there will be at least another 100 or more laid off in about 2 weeks. My mom is also in furniture and got laid off the week after Christmas. My hubby is in fiber optics and works maybe 1 day a week right now. No layoffs at his company but their rival company just laid off a whole lot of people. My dad is a superintendent in construction and after June if they don't get anymore jobs, he may be out of a job himself. My brother hasn't had a job in probably 6 months because he was also let go. Nothing is too good right now. I am trying to survive on less hours at my job and it is becoming harder and harder. Good luck to everyone! God bless you all!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I know its hard, but if you have a bit of 'spare' change at the end of the week, put it in a jar or a bank account, and save it up - small amount it may be, it'll soon mount up.

Or buy larger packets of pasta, rice, tins - basically anything dry that will last. It'll be a slightly bigger payout initially but it is cheaper in the long run.

... just an idea for anyone who isn't sure how to manage - always seems daunting at first, I lived through the last recession in UK, admittingly not as no where near as bad as it is now, with global recession, and so many places going down the pan, but you learn to adapt. :wink:

Take care all :flowerforyou:

Jackie
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    kinda scary cause we're moving from Canada to Florida, a job offer for my hubby is taking us there, but wow, all I hear about Florida recently is how there's no work! frightens me a little to leave everything behind here.....schools, jobs, healthcare, friends...so scary.

I hope your husband's new job will be in the 6 figures, because I live in Florida (South Florida) and although I'm not as bad as it could be, I constantly here how moving here is the biggest mistake anyone could make. The health insurance is through the roof, property values are down, homeowner's insurance and taxes are up, food prices are rising every month it seems. Really research before you leave. I work for the county and with the budget cuts, we are nervous for our jobs too. Don't mean to scare you if I did, just wanted to make you aware from someone that is living in Florida. Good luck!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I always buy in bulk....but with so many people to feed, it doesn't stretch as far as I would like. I get so aggravated when they throw food away or drink half a cup of milk.....
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I don't think there are many jobs anywhere. I work in furniture and if most of you know NC was the furniture capital and that isn't looking too good right now. My company started layoffs last week and I have heard there will be at least another 100 or more laid off in about 2 weeks. My mom is also in furniture and got laid off the week after Christmas. My hubby is in fiber optics and works maybe 1 day a week right now. No layoffs at his company but their rival company just laid off a whole lot of people. My dad is a superintendent in construction and after June if they don't get anymore jobs, he may be out of a job himself. My brother hasn't had a job in probably 6 months because he was also let go. Nothing is too good right now. I am trying to survive on less hours at my job and it is becoming harder and harder. Good luck to everyone! God bless you all!

On a happier note, I've been trying to find you out there and didn't see you. Your new picture is awesome, you look amazing!

Yeah I don't think there are jobs anywhere. I thought we were pretty good here in the midwest but my husband's company is laying people off (he's safe so far). I just got a new job back in October working for the government and just found out the employer I left laid off 350 people!!
  • martyfen
    Options
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I know its hard, but if you have a bit of 'spare' change at the end of the week, put it in a jar or a bank account, and save it up - small amount it may be, it'll soon mount up.

Or buy larger packets of pasta, rice, tins - basically anything dry that will last. It'll be a slightly bigger payout initially but it is cheaper in the long run.

... just an idea for anyone who isn't sure how to manage - always seems daunting at first, I lived through the last recession in UK, admittingly not as no where near as bad as it is now, with global recession, and so many places going down the pan, but you learn to adapt. :wink:

Take care all :flowerforyou:

Jackie

Great tips Jackie, I do something similar. My boyfriend and I have change jar, we just empty our pockets each night and it does add up. We have almost $100.00 from the last 8 months or so and it didn't even hurt to save this money.

A few years ago I ran through my budget, how much I make, how much my bills are and figured how much cash I could allow myself each week. I stopped charging stuff except for gas, I still charge that, but its better than just "everything" before. So I get so much cash each week....sometimes I can spend it on fun stuff like going out to lunch or shopping, but since I can no longer charge, I have to use that money for toilet paper, cleaning supplies, getting my oil changed etc. So if there is a week that I know I have to buy certain stuff for the house, then I just don't get to have as much fun with the money.

On the weeks that I for whatever reason have cash leftover, I put it in a special place so that when I really need money, I have a small stash.

Another good tip, take advantage of any services that your work offers. For example, for two years I set up accounts for clients and set up automatic payments for them without even thinking to do this for myself. So for the last two years I have had a savings account set up at work (I work at a brokerage firm so my savings doesn't require a minimum balance and doesn't have any kind of fees like a bank...thats for everyone, not just for being an employee). So each paycheck I have a certain amount deducted from my check and it goes right into that account. I then have a monthly payment set up to send out money to my dad to pay him back for my car. So for the last three years I have been paying off my car but don't even really realize it because I never see the money in the first place.

The money for my car payment comes from raises and promotions for the last three years....each raise or promotion, no matter how small, the additional money goes right into that account. So technically I have been living on the salary I was making three years ago, without even seeing the additional money. And when my car is paid off in July, rather than spending that "new found money", it will continue to go right into savings.

My prayers go out to those without a job and really struggling right now, but for those that are still in pretty good shape, following some of these tips can really lighten your financial stresses. I am not in great financial shape, but I know by halting my credit card charges and being more strict on the money I spend and putting raises into a savings account, I know I am way better off right now then I could be otherwise. Good luck everyone!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

You are going to be in for a shock with health care fitchick. My husband is American and moved to Canada. he loves not having to worry about insurance and co-pays. We tried to get his 18 year old daughter insurance in the US and companies did not want her as she had been in hospital once in the last year. It's not pretty
  • martyfen
    Options
    [/quote

I don't live in Florida, I'm in the Midwest but my husband's company moved people down from Canada when they relocated a facility - now however those people who came down are not having their contracts renewed. Very scary. I moved to the US from England - biggest mistake we made was selling our house back there. If things don't work out and you have a home to go back to then it makes all the difference - especially as like England, Canada has a universal health care system - that takes alot of pressure off you.
    having said that to live in the sunshine all year round - wonderful - cold weather and snow gets very tedious. Good luck
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your nice comments and suggestions. I too live in South Florida and bf is a union plumber, you know it's bad when construction is even down :noway: but primarily I know I will get through it's just I tend to over think everything and worrryyyyy. So thus why I've used you as a sounding board!!!