Protein, Carbs and Fat

Options
I need some help. I'm very limited on carbs and fat by my medical advisor and so every day am seriously short on protein. I'm alergic to soy and have sensitivites to most beans and legumes (but they are high in carbs anyway). Does anyone have a suggestion for high protein, low carb-low fat foods. I only use lean meats, but even they push me over the top pretty easily in the fat category.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I need some help. I'm very limited on carbs and fat by my medical advisor and so every day am seriously short on protein. I'm alergic to soy and have sensitivites to most beans and legumes (but they are high in carbs anyway). Does anyone have a suggestion for high protein, low carb-low fat foods. I only use lean meats, but even they push me over the top pretty easily in the fat category.

Can you tolerate a whey protein powder?
  • elkano
    elkano Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm going to second the protein powder recommendation. If not that, then try peanuts?

I'm not sure how lean meat push you into the fat category. Boneless, skinless chicken breast has hardly any fat, and zero carbs.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with fat. I will be so glad when the tables turn and it is openly accepted and advised to eat a natural, whole foods eating plan with plenty of fats, moderate protein and lower carbs (carbs and calories will be naturally lower because of eating the whole foods).

If you need protein, you are going to have to stick with nuts (but not peanuts, they are a legume), seeds, hemp protein, meats, eggs and spinach is actually a very good source of protein.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the protein powder recommendation. If not that, then try peanuts?

I'm not sure how lean meat push you into the fat category. Boneless, skinless chicken breast has hardly any fat, and zero carbs.

Peanuts are a legume and she stated specifically she is sensitive to most legumes. Plus peanuts are not the health food the "experts" claim them to be.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    peanuts are going to shoot her over her fat targets for sure lol and they are low in protein

whey protein is a very easy option. plain greek yogurt has about 7g of carbs if you get a good brand
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options

^^^^^ This^^^^^^ I keep my fat / protein / carb intake at a 33 %, 33 % , 33% intake on each.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    what might be the reason why he limited carbs and fat? Does he want to kill you?
    and how many grams is limited?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, fat free yogurt, and fat free cottage cheese are all good options. The yogurt in particular can be slipped into lots of different things--it can be stirred into soup, eaten plain with fresh fruit or granola, or used as a base for a dip or spread. The strained/Greek variety can be a topping for everything from cake to tacos.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This. I'd like to add that if you do go for whey protein, be sure to check the label for allergens.
  • elkano
    elkano Posts: 14
    Options
    legume

Ohh, interesting. Mind explaining this to me? I generally eat mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts), but peanuts -are- in there. Honestly, whenever I said "peanuts," I meant mixed nuts, not just peanuts alone.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    . I'm very limited on carbs and fat by my medical advisor

There is nothing wrong with fat. I will be so glad when the tables turn and it is openly accepted and advised to eat a natural, whole foods eating plan with plenty of fats, moderate protein and lower carbs (carbs and calories will be naturally lower because of eating the whole foods).

^ Did you miss the medical advisor part?

EDIT: OP: Gall bladder issue?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Fish are lean sources of protein. Salmon, tilapia, and tuna are pretty cheap and easy to prepare.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    what might be the reason why he limited carbs and fat? Does he want to kill you?

WTF?

Edit: Who dies from limiting carbs and fat? A SAD is already pretty low fat, and carbs are non-essential. More protein won't make you died.
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    Salmon is not lean
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fish/seafood is going to be your best option I think. Most other protein sources have a good amount of fat and/or carbs along with them.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    lean meat
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Plus peanuts are not the health food the "experts" claim them to be.

Yes they are.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Salmon is not lean

I think it has about 3g of fat for 4 oz. Still not that bad :] My lean steak has about 5g
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Tuna, tilapia, chicken, 99% lean turkey, whey protein powder.

I'm not sure how chicken will drive you over the fat limit unless you're eating the skin or cooking it in bacon grease.
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    Salmon is not lean

I think it has about 3g of fat for 4 oz. Still not that bad :] My lean steak has about 5g
    k lemme shut up now