Protein, Carbs and Fat

2»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Plus peanuts are not the health food the "experts" claim them to be.

Yes they are.

If that is what you want to think - go right ahead.

I know the real deal about them and I stay very far away from peanuts in ANY form now.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Yes they are.

I know the real deal about them and I stay very far away from peanuts in ANY form now.

do you have anything to back up your opinion that peanuts are bad?
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    I love peanuts and eat plenty of them, but they do not seem to have ever put me over my allowed fat intake. They are one of my favorite snacks. I eat plenty of lean meat and salmon at least 2 - 3 times per week along with 70 or so grams of protein whey shakes every day.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    I don't have time to dig up any links but here are a few things about peanuts that you can research if you are so inclined:

1) Large amounts of Omega 6 (the ratio of 6:3 is massively skewed towards 6 in peanuts)
    2) Contain Lectins
    3) Often contaminated with aflatoxin

If the above doesn't bother you and you like them and they fit into you eating plan then more power to you.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Tuna
    Low-fat canned chicken (high in sodium though)
    Eggs
  • Grokette

Yes they are.

They have some good qualities, but the bad qualities outweigh the bad, therefore they are a food that I stay far, far away from. There are many other foods that offer greater benefits than peanuts do.

They are loaded with omega-6 fats that distort the omega 3:6 ratio - pouring off the oil in natural peanut butter reduces the amount of Omega 6, but most likely the peanut butter will be dry, so you would have to supplement with macadamia nut oil or olive oil

They are frequently contaminated with a carcinogenic mold called aflatoxin

Peanuts are one of the most pesticide-contaminated crops

And peanuts are high in phytic acid which leads to oxidation in the blood stream over time.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member

Yes they are.

They have some good qualities, but the bad qualities outweigh the bad, therefore they are a food that I stay far, far away from. There are many other foods that offer greater benefits than peanuts do.

They are loaded with omega-6 fats that distort the omega 3:6 ratio - pouring off the oil in natural peanut butter reduces the amount of Omega 6, but most likely the peanut butter will be dry, so you would have to supplement with macadamia nut oil or olive oil

And peanuts are high in phytic acid which leads to oxidation in the blood stream over time.

This has Dr. Curtis Duncan written all over it.
  • Grokette

Yes they are.

This has Dr. Curtis Duncan written all over it.

I don't know who that is.

This is my own reading and research and the advice of both my metabolic endocrinologist and my Naturopathic M.D. who is a female.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I've never see peanuts on a list of most pesticide contaminate foods, but buying organic would solve that problem.

As for phytic acid, many nuts are high in it. Almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts all have more than peanuts.
  • tidmutt

I've never see peanuts on a list of most pesticide contaminate foods, but buying organic would solve that problem.

As for phytic acid, many nuts are high in it. Almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts all have more than peanuts.

Their omega 6 content is enough for me to avoid them. Why not just eat almonds or macadamias instead? Both make excellent alternatives to peanut butter.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Thank you to everyone! You are awesome.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    True. But as for me, I can't eat bonless skinless chicken breasts every meal, every day.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    what about greek yogurt? eggs?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Their omega 6 content is enough for me to avoid them. Why not just eat almonds or macadamias instead? Both make excellent alternatives to peanut butter.

I've never seen macadamia nut butter but given the price of macadamia nuts I'm sure it's expensive. I do occasionally eat almond butter but it just doesn't taste as good as peanut butter. I prefer almonds to peanuts, but peanut butter is the hands down winner with it comes to nut butter IMO.

I suppose if I weren't eating enough foods with omega 3 and I ate mass amounts of peanut butter or other foods high in omega 6 I might worry a little about the omega 6 content. But probably not.
  • tidmutt
    I've never seen macadamia nut butter but given the price of macadamia nuts I'm sure it's expensive. I do occasionally eat almond butter but it just doesn't taste as good as peanut butter. I prefer almonds to peanuts, but peanut butter is the hands down winner with it comes to nut butter IMO.

I suppose if I weren't eating enough foods with omega 3 and I ate mass amounts of peanut butter or other foods high in omega 6 I might worry a little about the omega 6 content. But probably not.

yeah, love Peanut Butter, developed a taste for macadamia butter now but you are right, it's expensive. Almond butter can be slightly pricey too, especially the organic variety. For a daily snack of a few nuts I would always pick Almonds or Macadamias over Peanuts, for the odd snack, who cares, eat whatever in my opinion.