Having a Sense of Humor

Options
CaptainGordo
CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
I loath long treatises on the boards, but please indulge me...

Having a sense of humor is crucial if you want to make it through a weight loss journey with your sanity intact. Without a sense of humor, one can fall into a deep pit of despair and bitterness. Misery loves company, and miserable people tend to attempt pulling those around them into their despair -- sometimes consciously, sometimes not.

For your own well being, and that of everyone else, bring your sense of humor with you along the journey -- including here on the message boards.

The grand majority of people are inherently good, and do not want to hurt anyone else. Many people use humor to break the ice, communicate information in a fun way, and cope with topics that are often anything but fun to deal with. When reading comments, try reading each one with the assumption that the person writing it, did so with the best of intentions. Doing otherwise only leads to misunderstandings and unnecessary contention.

Following is an example of assuming the worst, rather than recognizing some humor. Please keep in mind, this is not a statement of support for a particular political candidate, nor am I interested in a political discussion here. In Ypsilanti, MI recently, Herman Cain was asked a question by a reporter.
“How do you beat Obama?’’ he said. “Beat him with a Cain.’’

When asked why he used that term, which could be interpreted as racially insensitive, he said, “Cain. Herman Cain. C-A-I-N. Do I have to connect all the dots for you?’’

(http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/10/reporter-fails-to-get-beat-obama-with-a-cain-reference/)
The reporter assumed the worst, missing the humor. Fail.

When on the message boards, take a deep breath, remove any chips on your shoulder, put a smile on your face, and give people the benefit of a doubt. Yes, there are cases of genuine nastiness and name-calling. Those are few and far between, and should be reported. Please keep in mind, though, that many users enjoy using humor as a way to make other users laugh, and to brighten what can otherwise be a rough and unpleasant journey. It's up to you -- live life as a victim, or live life with your chin up and a smile on your face.

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." -- Oscar Wilde ("Lady Windermere's Fan" - 1892)

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    oooooo HTML makes points.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! That is exactly how I feel about all the negativity I've been seeing on the message boards.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    oooooo HTML makes points.
    I'm highly offended by your comment.

:laugh:

Ends up the tags are working again, after a long lapse where they weren't. Had to take advantage. Be grateful they don't have a flash tag.
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Also diggin' the profile pic..... one of our favorites.

Lois: "I love you, Peter."
    Peter: "I've grown quite fond of you, too, Lois."

:smile:
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    REPORTED

for being devilishly good looking :wink: :wink:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Ditto. Also diggin' the profile pic..... one of our favorites.

Lois: "I love you, Peter."
    Peter: "I've grown quite fond of you, too, Lois."

:smile:
    Hooray for "Family Guy" fans! I dig the rally squirrel pic!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    REPORTED

for being devilishly good looking :wink: :wink:
    WHAT?!

Oh wait... Thanks, Coach!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I find this topic and all the posters here to be extremely offensive! I'm reporting you all!

KIDDING!!!!!!!!
    :laugh:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    :drinker: You are the best!! Simply the best.

If being a funny smart *kitten* is a crime, then lock me up.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Having a sense of humor is crucial if you want to make it through a weight loss journey with your sanity intact. Without a sense of humor, one can fall into a deep pit of despair and bitterness. Misery loves company, and miserable people tend to attempt pulling those around them into their despair -- sometimes consciously, sometimes not.

For your own well being, and that of everyone else, bring your sense of humor with you along the journey -- including here on the message boards.

The grand majority of people are inherently good, and do not want to hurt anyone else. Many people use humor to break the ice, communicate information in a fun way, and cope with topics that are often anything but fun to deal with. When reading comments, try reading each one with the assumption that the person writing it, did so with the best of intentions. Doing otherwise only leads to misunderstandings and unnecessary contention.

Following is an example of an example of assuming the worst, rather than recognizing some humor. Please keep in mind, this is not a statement of support for a particular political candidate, nor am I interested in a political discussion here. In Ypsilanti, MI recently, Herman Cain was asked a question by a reporter.
    “How do you beat Obama?’’ he said. “Beat him with a Cain.’’

When asked why he used that term, which could be interpreted as racially insensitive, he said, “Cain. Herman Cain. C-A-I-N. Do I have to connect all the dots for you?’’

(http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/10/reporter-fails-to-get-beat-obama-with-a-cain-reference/)
    The reporter assumed the worst, missing the humor. Fail.

When on the message boards, take a deep breath, remove any chips on your shoulder, put a smile on your face, and give people the benefit of a doubt. Yes, there are cases of genuine nastiness and name-calling. Those are few and far between, and should be reported. Please keep in mind, though, that many users enjoy using humor as a way to make other users laugh, and to brighten what can otherwise be a rough and unpleasant journey.

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." -- Oscar Wilde ("Lady Windermere's Fan" - 1892)

:laugh: :laugh: I love that. What a great sense of humor. I agree with you, people need to lighten up. Don't get so bogged down with political correctness that you don't recognize a joke when you hear one.
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you. :o)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I love that. What a great sense of humor. I agree with you, people need to lighten up. Don't get so bogged down with political correctness that you don't recognize a joke when you hear one.
    :drinker:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Anyone spelling humor as "humour" will be reported, by the way.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    My signature, which mysteriously disappeared :laugh: use to say
    "everyone without a sense of humor is at the mercy of the rest of us"
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Anyone spelling humor as "humour" will be reported, by the way.

:laugh: I had to go back and check my spelling to make sure I spelled it correctly, Wouldn't want to get reported. :bigsmile: