Having a Sense of Humor

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Having a sense of humor is crucial if you want to make it through a weight loss journey with your sanity intact.
    For your own well being, and that of everyone else, bring your sense of humor with you along the journey -- including here on the message boards.
    Using the metaphor of a journey.

Fingernails on a chalkboard.
    I recognize this as a personal preference, and not a personal attack on my person. I appreciate your opinion, and will keep it in mind when I consider using the metaphor in the future. It is a bit cliched.

(This is an example of having a sense of humor, and not being a victim. We did not set this up beforehand. I swear.)

We did not set it up. But Gordo astutely recognized what I was doing. I added my own metaphor to really sell it...

Keep it light, and everyone can enjoy one another's contribution, whether you agree or disagree. Thanks man.
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    So when does the burden fall on the original poster? Can anyone be a jerk just because they were trying to be funny?

The problem with most of the issues on here is that many people's idea of being funny is making a joke at someone else's expense. It's funny to their "friends", but not to the person who's being made fun of. In fact, it's pretty hurtful, especially to someone who's trying to change their life and needs all the support they can get. We were all there once.

Personally, I don't find jokes like that funny at all. It actually seems pretty pathetic to me that some people want to be liked so badly that they try to entertain their friends by making fun of other people.

Sure, some people need to lighten up. But I don't think that's the issue here at all.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Anyone spelling humor as "humour" will be reported, by the way.

Humour, Houmour!!!!

I can't go through life without laughing. Humor makes life easier.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    We did not set it up. But Gordo astutely recognized what I was doing. I added my own metaphor to really sell it...

Keep it light, and everyone can enjoy one another's contribution, whether you agree or disagree. Thanks man.
    :drinker:
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    So when does the burden fall on the original poster? Can anyone be a jerk just because they were trying to be funny?

The problem with most of the issues on here is that many people's idea of being funny is making a joke at someone else's expense. It's funny to their "friends", but not to the person who's being made fun of. In fact, it's pretty hurtful, especially to someone who's trying to change their life and needs all the support they can get. We were all there once.

Personally, I don't find jokes like that funny at all. It actually seems pretty pathetic to me that certain people want to be liked so badly that they try to entertain their friends by making fun of other people.

Sure, some people need to lighten up. But I don't think that's the issue here at all.

I think it's a combination of both, rather than one or the other. Meaning, I think that there are some light hearted jokes that are funny without being mean or funny without it being at the cost of the original poster. Some comments do cross that line and can be cruel. However, I do think there are a handful of people out of the total MFP population that has a tendancy to not take a joke. These are the people who need to lighten up. In addition, there are a handful of MFP people who also behave as if they are holier than thou, and report things because they don't see them fit into what they find funny. These people tend to cause a lot of friction within the forums. In general, I believe most of the people here can get the humor that goes on when comments are meant to be funny.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I spell it "humour" all the time. That's one I think the Brits and Canucks have right.

"Favourite" ... crossing the line.

But honestly, I can deal with that a lot more easily than Americans spelling "definitely" with an a. Drives me nuts. One of these days, I'm just going to start tossing dictionaries at people.

Toss one my way. I seem to be having senior moments and often can't remember how to spell simple words.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I spell it "humour" all the time. That's one I think the Brits and Canucks have right.

But honestly, I can deal with that a lot more easily than Americans spelling "definitely" with an a. Drives me nuts. One of these days, I'm just going to start tossing dictionaries at people.

Sorry, Americans that are good at spelling don't use an A in definitely. That's not a culture/continent thing!!
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think it's a combination of both, rather than one or the other. Meaning, I think that there are some light hearted jokes that are funny without being mean or funny without it being at the cost of the original poster. Some comments do cross that line and can be cruel. However, I do think there are a handful of people out of the total MFP population that has a tendancy to not take a joke. These are the people who need to lighten up. In addition, there are a handful of MFP people who also behave as if they are holier than thou, and report things because they don't see them fit into what they find funny. These people tend to cause a lot of friction within the forums. In general, I believe most of the people here can get the humor that goes on when comments are meant to be funny.

In general, I agree with you. Most people on the forums are fine, and they're able to make light-hearted jokes that actually are funny without being mean.

And I also agree that sure, there are people who are too sensitive. What a lot of people don't realize, though, is that we probably ignore as many abuse reports as we take action on. People file reports all the time about posts that don't violate any rules - that's true. But we don't act on them unless we agree that something inappropriate has occurred.

So that handful of people who report things that aren't actually insults, well, they simply just don't matter. If they report a post that isn't a rule violation, we have and will ignore it. And if they try to take matters into their own hands and attack or insult back, they'll be punished accordingly.

On the other hand, there are also a handful of people who do try to have their version of fun at other people's expense. "Humor" is not an excuse for making someone feel bad. And I'm not talking here about people who are overly sensitive. You'd feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Sorry, Americans that are good at spelling don't use an A in definitely. That's not a culture/continent thing!!

Agreed!
  • magichatter06
    Options

In general, I agree with you. Most people on the forums are fine, and they're able to make light-hearted jokes that actually are funny without being mean.

And I also agree that sure, there are people who are too sensitive. What a lot of people don't realize, though, is that we probably ignore as many abuse reports as we take action on. People file reports all the time about posts that don't violate any rules - that's true. But we don't act on them unless we agree that something inappropriate has occurred.

So that handful of people who report things that aren't actually insults, well, they simply just don't matter. If they report a post that isn't a rule violation, we have and will ignore it. And if they try to take matters into their own hands and attack or insult back, they'll be punished accordingly.

On the other hand, there are also a handful of people who do try to have their version of fun at other people's expense. "Humor" is not an excuse for making someone feel bad. And I'm not talking here about people who are overly sensitive. You'd feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot.

MFP isn't the same as it use to be unfortunately... :ohwell:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I hit report everytime I see someone post that they're drinking Franzia from a box... just so we're all clear on that.

It's a violation against humanity.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. There is a small population of people who tend to strike with mean intentions, along with the people who tend to act incredibly sensistive. As with any forum, internet and real life, you will always encounter both types of people in the group as a whole.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I hit report everytime I see someone post that they're drinking Franzia from a box... just so we're all clear on that.

Snob!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Snob!

I report you every time you mention light beer.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

But I always take out the finest Dixie cups I have to go with it. :embarassed:
  • magichatter06
    Options

But I always take out the finest Dixie cups I have to go with it. :embarassed:

RED SOLO CUP!

(Song by Toby Keith, you should probably listen to it....so it will get stuck in your head...LOL)
  • odusgolp
    Options

Snob!

I report you every time you mention light beer.

It's true. I do feel dirty every single time I open a Miller 64 *sigh*
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't find jokes like that funny at all. It actually seems pretty pathetic to me that some people want to be liked so badly that they try to entertain their friends by making fun of other people.

You are exactly right about most of the issues here Mike. When people make jokes at other's expense, its wrong. But I would submit that some people's jokes, when you consider what they actually said, may be making light of a point of view, or the presentation of the point of view, or some ancillary component of the actual Post. So not taking that personally, as a person attack, is valuable. Other people blatantly make fun of the person, the Poster. That's offensive. I see it. I've been the butt of it. So what? They "can't take away my Birthday" (an old saying I used to use). It is of no consequence to me. It becomes an issue by retaliating. I think your suggestion elsewhere, to Report the Post, is appropriate. But if people lighten up, it doesn't have to go there so quickly, in my opinion.

That is the issue Gordo presented, Having a Sense of Humor. That means lightening up.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Much like you can't change the past, you can't change people. It's the beauty of life :) Some people will never lighten up. Some people will never grow up. Some people will never eat tripe. And some people will never believe in boob jobs.

Live and let live. Be "Report" happy if you must.

I just find you funny.