Getting sick after eating sweets/sugar?

Does anyone else seem to get sick after eating sweets/sugar? There have been several times where I eat something sweet or with a lot of sugar and get really sick after I eat it. Birthday cake with lots of frosting seems to be the worst. I get very bad stomach aches and my body rejects it. I do not know anyone else that gets so sick after sugar consumption. Every time I get sick, I vow that I will never eat sugar again but that doesn't seem to happen. Why would this happen with me and not others? It doesn't have to be an excessive amount of sugar, just one piece of cake does it.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I'm the same way. I can't even eat some fruits on an empty stomach because I'll just throw it up. I did some tests and turns out it actually makes my blood sugar DROP when I eat sugar. I tell people I'm anti-diabetes and just avoid it.
  • After eating clean for a month I had a cinnamon roll... i thought it was doing backflips in my tummy xD I didn't feel too sick, but my roomie sure was laughing at all the funny noises my belly was making
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    This happens to me, but maybe not to the extreme that it affects you. A few months ago I came down with a bug and followed my mom's usually routine of lots of fluids and vitamin C which I took in the form of lots of fruit juice, I've been trying to reduce my sugar intake overall so this was a shock to my system, I had a stomach ache for the entire day and the day afterward, if made me sicker. I haven't had fruit juice since.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    It's most likely mental
  • TheKitsune6
    It's most likely mental

What exactly are you basing that off of?
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Wish I had that problem.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    It's most likely mental

Common sense, mostly. Unless you have some kind of medical issue, food shouldn't be making you sick. When people start dieting, they get all kinds of mental issues surrounding "good" and "bad" foods.

Granted, it's just an opinion.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    OP: Have you been tested for diabetes?
  • I've always (even as a child) been that way with super sugar rich and chocolate foods i.e Brownies, chocolate candy bars, cake, cupcakes. I always have milk when I decide to have something like that, seems to help for me. I tend to scrape icing off of cake, way too sweet for me.
  • TheKitsune6
    It's most likely mental

Common sense, mostly. Unless you have some kind of medical issue, food shouldn't be making you sick. When people start dieting, they get all kinds of mental issues surrounding "good" and "bad" foods.

Granted, it's just an opinion.

So you're saying that it's common sense that she's mentally making herself sick after she eats sugar, and that it's far more likely then there being an underlying medical issue.

• My oldest daughter gets sick after eating a lot of rich sugary stuff. She'll also get sick to her stomach if she's too tired or too hot. I'm sort of this way but it's much more pronounced in my 3 year old. It probably has to do with what your body is used to handling.
  • RockerDDS
    RockerDDS Posts: 22 Member
    It's not mental and I am actually shocked that you would even say that. Why would I make myself sick? Anyways, no I have not been tested for diabetes but probably should be. I don't always get sick after sugar, it comes and goes.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    It's not mental and I am actually shocked that you would even say that. Why would I make myself sick? Anyways, no I have not been tested for diabetes but probably should be. I don't always get sick after sugar, it comes and goes.

The only reason I ask is that I've seen people with diabetes get sick at their tummies when they eat something too sweet. It might be good to get a screening done. I'm sure it's nothing more than irritation from the sugar to your tummy, but it's good to check.

For what it's worth, I don't like sweets much. If I eat too much of them, I get feeling a little irrable in my tummy too.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member

How do you know it is not mental?

I agree that there is a possibility it IS mental. I thought I was allergic to cats and dogs for most of my life. I would sneeze,my nose would run, my eyes would itch so much I would rub them raw etc. We had pet cats so this was a regular occurrence.

I had to have allergy testing done around 6 months ago. I found out I was not allergic to cats and dogs, and infact it was mental.

When I found this out, all the symptoms I had for years around them disappeared.
  • simpsy21
    simpsy21 Posts: 1
    I have been tested a few times because I've suffered from this issue since I was a kid. Its not a mental issue for me - what kid goes to a birthday party, eats the cake then makes themself feel naucious afterwards. I was told I am carb sensitive, meaning the refined, simple carbs like sweets, are rapidly digested, lifting your blood sugar quickly but then rapidly "dropping" you back down. It happens more often for me if I havent had anything else to eat along with the sweets - it can be anything from 2 candies to a piece of cake. I would still advise you to check with your doctor as I'm not anyone to give medical advice - others should realize they shouldnt be giving out psychological advice - it would be pretty horrible if you have an underlying medical issue that if untreated could potentially harm you.

All the best to you - I definitely sympathize with you on this :)
  • my 3 year old gets sick the day after she eats frosting that is what lead me to this post was i googled it.... does she do that to herself is it all in her head? i'm trying to figure out why.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    I used to have this happen a lot too, so I thought I'd share my experience...
    For me it had to do with my diet/binge cycle....I would try to be really really good, and then I'd eat that darn 600 calorie muffin.
    I've been diabetic since I was 14 and my blood sugars have always run very high. Then I started eating better and working out, pretty diligently. My A1C went from 10.6 to 7.3 in three months, the numbers look small, but apparently it's pretty drastic.
    Ever since I've gotten myself back into check I've felt very sick eating sugars/simple carbs...mostly when I don't watch the portion size. My doctor said when I go to those foods, my body has to work even harder because it's not on 'constant alert' anymore.
    If that makes any sense?

Your doctor's blood results will help out a lot. :)
  • Wow, I use this app on my iPhone and happened to pick up this thread because I was searching getting hot after eating sweets. I've been home a lot over the past few days, not really able to prepare myself "good" food so I've resorted to a highly abnormal amount of peanut M&Ms. I kept getting the equivalent of 'night sweats'. Then, I see several places on-line referring to other people who are noticing a potential connection so they're reaching out to test public opinion. I was gravely disappointed to see someone had the compassion, empathy and tact of a gnat as evidenced by the suggestion, or "just an opinion", that it's in some one's mind. At least the person searching for answers HAS a mind!! Whew.... Ya really take chances putting yourself out there looking for answers, don't ya?

I saw on Livestrong.org where there was a discussion about the body's use of sugar in such a way that perspiration in response to high sugar intake might be a sign of Hypoglycemia. I haven't checked out any of the well-known sites for that yet, but will. No one really wants to know that their body is not working well, but then, a heavy load of sugar isn't exactly taking good care of one's body either.

At least, within a few minutes I was able to tell there is something to my suspicion that there's a tie between my intake and the symptoms I was enduring. BTW, I also resent implications for any woman over a certain age that the problem stems from potential menopause. Most women are on top of that issue. I've personally experienced missing a very important diagnosis (over three yrs) despite repeated pleas to my doctor to determine the source of some of my symptoms. He starting telling me that well, I'm such & such age now, then it was stress, then he didn't really see anything, then, I ought to be just completely fine, to actually writing down I had Munchousen's (have no idea how that's spelled). Well, I wasn't looking for attention through medical intervention. I'd had severe Hypothyroidism all that time. Thyroid impacts numerous other glands in the endocrine system and thus I was experiencing an overwhelming domino effect of doing without the proper amount of daily thyroid levels. What a real jerk and what a really bad doctor. He even once told me early on in our professional relationship that about 10 yrs into his practice he finally realized that contrary to what he was taught in medical school, the patient was more than likely telling it exactly how it is, so he'd learned to believe in or trust his patients. Guess he felt the need to make an exception for me. Truthfully, I think I looked too good and didn't mope around enough for him to take me seriously enough.

All to say, just like the stories on Mystery Diagnosis, if you have an inkling that you're not yourself, keep asking questions, keep demanding to get answers, ignore jerks like the person who felt permission to offer an ignorant opinion and my former GP doctor---until you find the answers you need.

If I see more on this issue and can find my way back to this thread, I'll post an update. For now, I just wanted to acknowledge that there are others with the same question, it is not a 'mental' thing and you are not alone. For now, it seems to be potentially related to Hypoglycemia.
  • AnewMe2cor5seventeen
    AnewMe2cor5seventeen Posts: 16 Member
    I hear you on this BIG TIME! Mine is only in the morning if it's the first thing I eat. I wake up sick to my stomach and have to eat right away, If I grab say a muffin or a baked good I LITERALLY FEEL ILL!
    For example, I cooked blueberry muffins with my kids and had one, I hurried and chased it will grilled chicken but It was to late my blood sugar already tanked, I threw up the chicken. I think Its all about eating high Glycemic Index foods, eating something to be sure your blood sugar is level and then having your sweet. I can eat candy, cake, Ice cream or whatever sweet you can imagine in small quantities and be fine, it's just eating it on an empty stomach. I am not sure why I have this reaction either, but let me tell you it is not mental! As someone who has had much experience in psychiatry, in fact taking more classes as we speak. The condition being spoken of is Orthorexia nervosa (also known as orthorexia). Orthorexia is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder characterized by an extreme or excessive preoccupation with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthful. Some people can actually want to eat well so badly they in fact can become ill knowing they consumed " unclean" foods. To assume right away without any further information is just ignorant! The mind does have an amazing power over the body, however uncontrolled Nausea Vomiting and weakness with consuming high sugar foods more often is due to glucose levels.
  • I have chronic pancreatitis and get sick from eating anything with sugar or simple carbs. You should have your pancreas checked. The pancreas deals with the digestion of sugar in the body. Good luck