Getting sick after eating sweets/sugar?

Options

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of sugary foods. Like, A LOT. All day, every day. Sugar, and refined carbs like white bread.

When I started losing weight back in May I stopped eating all of the junk, quit the diet soft drinks as well and started eating better in general. Now I find that if I try to have a 'treat' like white bread, really sugary sweets or chocolate, diet cola or most of my old favourite foods I get a really upset stomach, usually diarrhea (sorry TMI) and feel really sick.

I don't think that's psychological. I think that's your body's way of dealing with a food it just can't tolerate anymore.
  • shaniaholly96
    Options
    Me too!!! Anytime i eat cake i puke non stop for hours on end, literally feel like im dying. Never been tested for diabetes. Could it be that??? Help!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else seem to get sick after eating sweets/sugar? There have been several times where I eat something sweet or with a lot of sugar and get really sick after I eat it. Birthday cake with lots of frosting seems to be the worst. I get very bad stomach aches and my body rejects it. I do not know anyone else that gets so sick after sugar consumption. Every time I get sick, I vow that I will never eat sugar again but that doesn't seem to happen. Why would this happen with me and not others? It doesn't have to be an excessive amount of sugar, just one piece of cake does it.

If I have one serving I do fine. If I have two, three sweets, i get sick.
  • jonlefave
    jonlefave Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have also suffered the same symptoms… I've done blood tests and the doctor has confirmed that I have reactive hypoglycemia. Simply put, your body releases too much insulin, which causes blood sugar to be lower than normal.

It's pretty common. If you eat sweets (especially on empty stomach), your blood sugar will climb and then drop dramatically.

Common symptoms include: lightheadedness, shakiness, anxiety, fast heart rate (palpitation), sweating (clammy hands and feet).

It is recommended that if you eat sweets, eat it with other food... Or avoid all together!
  • Bigmac1181
    Options
    Also sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I thought to myself because I drink a lot of beer on a daily basis, that when I eat any sort of extra sugar foods like cake or even a donut, I feel really sick afterwards, I have been tested for pre diabetic back in I think 2006 but a recent test said it was slightly elevated blood sugar, I'm thinking the sugar in the beer I drink is creating more of a problem, I was just looking for 2nd/3rd opinions on that experience without someone telling me "stop drinking" which I already know I should do.
  • totlhottigger
    Options
    YES! I am glad you posted this because I thought it was just me? I was at a wedding the other day and had a very, very small piece of cake and about 20 mins later my body was shivering.. I got home and could not stop shivering..So I ended up vomiting and my body stopped shivering. I know, it's related to the sugar. I usually only consume about 8 teaspoons of sugar per day. That's from natural fruit and lactose from the non-fat greek yogurt. So..no more cake for me. Thanks to fitness pal for this program to track my eating it has helped me so much!
  • totlhottigger
    Options
    Hello Beer Drinker, I remember a doctor telling my husband that beer has no nutritional value anyway. So the question is why drink it then? It only harms the liver. I think I would just drink in very slight moderation. I drink moderately and end up regretting it anyway because it dehydrates me so much. Then I have to spend two whole days trying to re hydrate my body. Seems like a waste to me. I experience the same thing with wine except that it just gives me a bigger headache...So I guess we have to pick our poison..I hope this helps you.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's not mental and I am actually shocked that you would even say that. Why would I make myself sick? Anyways, no I have not been tested for diabetes but probably should be. I don't always get sick after sugar, it comes and goes.

How do you know it is not mental?

I agree that there is a possibility it IS mental. I thought I was allergic to cats and dogs for most of my life. I would sneeze,my nose would run, my eyes would itch so much I would rub them raw etc. We had pet cats so this was a regular occurrence.

I had to have allergy testing done around 6 months ago. I found out I was not allergic to cats and dogs, and infact it was mental.

When I found this out, all the symptoms I had for years around them disappeared.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't really experienced this. However, I am a big lover of frosting and in the past couple of months I've indulged 2-3 times in a slice of cookie cake with frosting on it, and a frosting-laden cookie from a bakery...both times I was just kind of grossed out. I didn't feel sick exactly but it didn't taste good to me. And this used to be one of my favorite treats :-/ Now I am starting to understand how others can say "Ugh, no frosting for me"...maybe down the road something similar will happen with chocolate, ice cream, etc ;-)
  • MafiaBride2b
    MafiaBride2b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's most likely mental

What exactly are you basing that off of?

Common sense, mostly. Unless you have some kind of medical issue, food shouldn't be making you sick. When people start dieting, they get all kinds of mental issues surrounding "good" and "bad" foods.

Granted, it's just an opinion.

So you're saying that it's common sense that she's mentally making herself sick after she eats sugar, and that it's far more likely then there being an underlying medical issue.

It always angers me when someone wants to brush off someone who has a disorder they can't explain. It yes could be mental in that it could be irritable bowel disease. Usually that's connected to nerves but it's not "in your head". I am suffering the same thing right now. My doctor did a series of blood tests. I am HIGH on inflammation in my body which causes anemia. I AM anemic and it causes nausea and vomiting. In addition, I am low on vitamin D and B12. To stop this cycle, he is treating me for inflammation with Immuran. It will take weeks to bring the inflammation down but my nausea episodes are getting further and further apart so I now it's working.
  • olivejuicekyle
    olivejuicekyle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well and did throughout high school mainly if I had Starbucks. I was diagnosed as reactive hypoglycemic so my body works adversely with sugars. Almost instantly after consuming a sugar I will sky rocket and then crash below normal average levels. I wish my brain would get the memo and stop craving it haha! It can be very unpleasant and resemble the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome or IBS I spoke with my doctor about it and we are currently working on tests to see if I really have IBS or if it's just a glycemic issue. The GI symptoms became pronounced after my first child so the doctor seems to think instead of IBS it's more of a lactose intolerance mixed with the hypoglycemia (but I'm not so sure). Often I have found what can help is to take two tums it settles my tummy enough to take the nausea away and then munch on some crackers and pound water. Some times our minds get carried away when we don't feel well but that's understandable it means you value and enjoy life so don't be discouraged to speak when you think something's not right. You are your care taker. No one else knows you like you. Bodies are forever changing. I hope this helps. Take it easy.
  • ggilbert95
    ggilbert95 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just ate some ice cream, not a lot, and it hurts really bad. It is also like I can feel the sugar rushing in my veins. The thing is, I don't eat the kind of sugar laden sweets most people do. I think I'm just too sensitive to sugar, I think I'll talk to my doctor about it.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed a pattern with regards to homemade vs. store bought sweets? If it happens primarily from store bought sweets, I wonder if maybe you have a sensitivity/allergy to a preservative or something in therm?
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have sensitivity to artificial chemicals(sweetners, colors, flavors), and to sugar beet & HFCS~if they are GMO. The artificial stuff gives me a headache and a stomach ache. The Gmo stuff makes the lymph nodes in my neck and armpits swell....more so with the corn...and a headache. It always feels like a hangover the next day....

While it is possible that someone can have a psychosomatic response to pretty much anything...I am thinking the person that suggested this is "in your mind" is way off base......if you think about what is in store bought frosting: hydrogenated oil, artificial color and flavor, HFCS....emulsifiers, preservatives ( beyond just sugar)....it's not hard to imagine someone's body might have a hard time processing this stuff. The human body was made to process carbohydrates, fats and proteins--not the chemical cocktails that line the shelves of stores today.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just ate some ice cream, not a lot, and it hurts really bad. It is also like I can feel the sugar rushing in my veins. The thing is, I don't eat the kind of sugar laden sweets most people do. I think I'm just too sensitive to sugar, I think I'll talk to my doctor about it.

You might want to check for lactose intolerance, too. Speaking as someone who's lived all her life with either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia, I can count on one hand the number of times I was nauseated with the effects of sugar. However, my grandmother was lactose intolerant and it tore her insides up every time she ate ice cream (she could tolerate the little bit of milk or cream in her coffee pretty well). She lived 97 years and never did give up the stuff . . .
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sugary beverages do this to me -- especially if they are hot, like hot apple cider, hot chocolate, etc. I drink sugar-free soda and it doesn't bother me. I use less chocolate when I make a mocha. When I get a mocha at Starbucks, I ask them to use half the amount of syrup than they normally use. But I can never have a normal, sugary beverage that someone else makes unless I ask for it to be modified. And I only get hot beverages on the coldest of days. Normally I get iced drinks year-round.

One time, I asked a friend with Type 1 diabetes to test my blood sugar when I was in the midst of a "sugar episode." It was totally normal. I have no idea what causes the sick feeling, but I just avoid full-sugar beverages like the plague. I don't have as much of a problem with sugary foods -- perhaps because I ingest them more slowly? It's happened occasionally, but only if the food was insanely sugary. Usually it's just beverages.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get bad nausea if I have too much sugar. I had some icing on a donut today and it made me sick all morning with intense nausea. Normally I avoid donuts, it was just a one-off event. Sometimes I just get brain dead and go back to eating like a normal person.

Food puts me to sleep. So now I have protein shakes and just try and not eat much at all until supper and that has helped me stay awake during the day, otherwise I take a 2-3 hour nap daily. I work from home so that's okay, but if I have to drive in the afternoon it's dangerous because I'm so tired. I'm an insomniac and have been treated for that for years so when I started falling asleep constantly this spring my doctor was really surprised. They're not sure what is wrong with me but maybe reactive blood sugar. I have more testing coming up. I seem to be able to get away with about 200 calories. If I go above that I might drop to sleep. *sigh*
  • PJulieanne
    Options
    This is relatable for me. I'm not sure if it's the same but I planned to be tested soon for it. My stomach knots and cramps up followed by nausea after eating most heavy carbs like bread,pasta, certain chocolates and definitely candies like skittles. I as well say Iwont eat the sweets again and fall into them here and there. It's definitely not fun, I'm in the middle of cutting foods to target the exact problems! Thank you for this post.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Nope, I never have a problem with sugar. I have done very low carb ketogenic diets in the past for months at a time. When falling off the wagon and eating something sugary, it was blissfully delicious with no adverse reactions whatsoever. Now WHEAT on the other hand is a different story. I gave up wheat because it was aggravating my autoimmune issues, but I never had a problem with how my belly felt after eating wheat. Now that I don't eat wheat on a regular basis anymore, if I do make an exception and have a small piece of wedding cake, I get a horrible bellyache. I've heard tell that it's because if you're not eating wheat your body temporarily stops making the enzymes that properly digest the wheat but I don't know if that's a myth or not.
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Buttercream frosting always makes me feel like throwing up. I just avoid it now or scrape the stuff off the cupcakes. candies, chocolates and other confections I only seem to be able to tolerate if home made with less sugar or from good quality bakeries. But if I have one bite of something and it turns out to be super sweet, I wind up nursing a stomach ache and drinking lots of water.