Options
    Thanks for posting this.
  • tridling
    tridling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    saving for later...awesome!
  • Kriszti29
    Options
    Definitely gives some much needed perspective on losing weight...
    Thanks!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This photo has blown me away...it really isn't about scale weight. I've been advised but seeing the photos really hits home for me. Thanks!
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump !

Wow! there is a big difference in the posture too !
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow! there is a big difference in the posture too !

Actually, that seemed to be the biggest difference to me. There is some difference in muscle tone, but it mostly just looks like she's standing up straighter in the pic on the right.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow! thats impressive!!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    the numbers aren't everything and this proves it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well if this isn't motivation to work out, I don't know what is!

I have been trying to exercise for over a year now, but the last few weeks, I've actually been quite consistent. I decided that today should be my rest day since I worked out the last 5 days, but it's killing me to not work out. I think I finally built the habit! Now... I just need to take some photos so I can see the results better.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Love it! Makes me feel better that even though I have only lost limited pounds, my body looks and feels stronger The numbers on the scales really aren't the all-knowing OZ. We need to build lean muscle tissue to replace the flabby fat!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, some good food for thought when I feel stagnant. That probably means it's time to shift my focus from losing pounds to gaining strength. Thank you for posting this. :wink:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'll remember this when my scale gets the best of me.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It's seriously not about the scale number. I wish more people could see this and stop obsessing about the scale.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should take a look at this photo to get some perspective - It really made me think!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Seriously those women are what I aim for. Screw being skinny I want to be and look STRONG.

I worry that since I'm so overweight and have been for so long I won't ever get there, but even if I don't I'm going to work hard and get as closed as possible!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I got a couple photo of skinny vs fit to toss into the ring.

Me at 27 years old vs 39 years old. I'm about the same weight in both, but at 27, I was bony up top and disproportionately flabby on the bottom half. Scrawny arms, but wider hips and thighs. No muscle tone then. Now, I'm stronger and much more fit, with softer curves instead of angles.

front1.jpg

I still have "heavier" legs and suspect I always will, but I like my bum better now, too. And what I like most is being HEALTHY and not having those dark circles under my eyes!

skinny-vs-fit.jpg

(And as long as I'm showing my butt... there's only about 5-7# difference between May and December's photos.)

bum.jpg
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    Options
    yep Staceys example is one I show people often.

I also like this info article. Its about Crossfit - but has some skinny fat vs fit photos, though not of the same girl. And explains what it is, how to address it etc,

Good general read.

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

And Leigh Peeles Body Fat percentage images, are eye opening as well. No skinny fat, but gives you perspective on how different body fat can look - no matter what the scale weight. (which is not the best thing to judge your loss by, just one tool)

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Awesome articles!! Thank you soooo much for sharing!! Passing these on to a few of my (female) friends who refuse touch weights at all...
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero

There are pictures where Staci goes goes from 117lbs to 131lbs to 142lbs but stays pretty much the same size, while looking a lot stronger and more fit.
    That's what I looked like in high school when all the girls were upstairs in the studio taking dance and I was in the weight lifting room doing crazy squats with the boys. I weighed 160 but was solid and stronger than most of the boys in school. Then I graduated and went to a girly gym big mistake. Now here I am.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That looks awesome!!!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Thank you for posting this pic! I think a lot of women, myself included, focus too much on the scale instead of being healthy and fit. I would much rather weigh 136 and look toned than 127 and flabby.
    Way to go!!