How to remove belly fat ?

Options
I am a regular biker, whereas i have developed strong legs, but my belly/stomach is still way out. Can someone recommend simple in door exercise 2 remove belly fat.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    best way to lose belly fat is to ...lose fat. nothing you can do will cause your body to specifically burn belly fat over another area. Sorry. I know it sucks
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Cardio, strength, diet. There's no tricks, sorry.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can spot reduce like that. You can tone and lose weight which in combination will get rid of excess belly and excess anything else.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    best way to lose belly fat is to ...lose fat. nothing you can do will cause your body to specifically burn belly fat over another area. Sorry. I know it sucks
    Yup, it's either that or lipo.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    unfortunately for both of us, the previous poster is right. :( Although.....if you want to do the 30 Day Shred....it took 4 inches off of my waist in like 20 days!!!! And that has to be belly fat, right? To some extent. :)
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I should add that I think cutting carbs some helps...lower your carbs increase your protein :) That is just what I've seen, I have not studied anything on this.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You have to reduce fat overall, you can't spot reduce - but one of the best ab exercises is the plank. Also while cycling think about contracting your abs to maintain a strong core.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Everyone who replied above is correct. You can't choose where to lose it. If you've got fat there, you need to lose fat generally to lose it there also.

BUT!

While you can't "spot reduce" (fat), you CAN spot develop (muscle). Specifically you can develop your transverse abdominis (TVA) which is also known as the "girdle" or "corset" muscle. A strong TVA acts to rein in your organs and the FAT surrounding them.

Plank and vacuum exercises can strengthen this muscle.
  • mitti82
    Options
    Don't know if this is true or not but I've been told that the fat around our middle is generally the last to go:( very sad if it's true as I'd love to get my waist back...lol
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You can remove belly fat by getting surgery work. DIRKUH DEHRRRRR
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you, there's no way to do it. I know, it totally sucks. I've been trying to get the last bit off for months... The only way is to reduce overall bodyfat.

You're genetically programmed as to where your fat goes, and unfortunately for most of us the belly is the first place to go on and the last place to come off.

To reduce belly fat, reduce overall bodyfat with a calorie deficit via food deficit and cardio (HIIT is usually best).

You can however pump your abs for a double whammy effect - big abs push through better - but mostly it's about nutrition. Unless you have loose skin from being stretched for a while, in which case it's a long hard slog to tightening it up through exercise (which is worth it by the way, if that's what you have...)

Stick with good nutrition and make sure to get some good resistance work in to maintain every bit of muscle you have. The key is to give your body the best chance possible of burning as much fat and as little muscle as it's capable of.

Jay
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cardio, strength, diet. There's no tricks, sorry.

^^this!
    I have the same issue with having belly fat. As long as you keep up with the strength, cardio, and diet, your stomach should get smaller. It doesn't happen overnight (I wish it did because I hate my muffin top), but the thing I keep in mind is that as long as I'm doing what I have to do to lose weight, I will lose my belly fat.
    You will lose yours too! Good luck! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • You have to do some sort of cardio exercise to lose weight all over and not just focus on your belly. You can get a workout DVD and try some exercises and eat a low calorie diet as well. You can do ab exercises to strengthen you abdominals once you start losing belly fat for best results.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is build muscle there. You can't spot reduce so other than working out in general and doing lots of cardio, the only other thing you can do is build muscle.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Like others said, there isn't a whole lot you can do to spot reduce. BUT.

1. Abs are made in the kitchen. Lose fat overall, and remember that nutrition is huge for that.

2. Someone mentioned vacuum exercises and the "corset" muscles. Suck it in. Not only does it make you look better temporarily, but it adds to looking better long term too. Plus it's part of good posture.

I feel your pain though. I'm pretty happy with the rest of my body but my tummy is erghhhh.
  • zwayny
    Options
    Belly fat is the most difficult to get rid of!
    I am 43 and gaining weight in my belly area. Was always wondering what is better, a low fat or low carb diet for this type of weight? When I cut back my calories I never seemed to lose but one or two pounds ... I really wanted to lose 10 but didn’t seem to make it happen. I found this site that reviews diet and weigh loss plans: www.sure-way-to-lose-bellyfat.com. I found what I was looking for to boost my metabolism.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    1) Healthy eating
    2) Cardio & Strength Training
    3) Practice good posture
  • HarveySmith123
    Options
    To workout with belly fat, you should try doing sit-ups or some specific abdominal exercises. It is recommended if these belly fat removal exercises are associated with breath control mechanisms. Aerobics would do better justice too, but Yoga exercises is the ideal and permanent form of cure for belly fat removal. To do that you need to kneel down sit on your knees, touch your thumb with the index finger while leaving other three fingers straight on both hands. You should keep this in the sides of the pelvic border and bend forward as much as you can. I would strongly recommend that you do this belly fat removal exercise under the guidance of a person who is familiar with Yoga. Trust me that this exercise works out for sure however obese you are. You need to do cardio, or something like running, beside these exercises. Stomach fat is different from the rest of your abs; sit-ups and abs workouts might help, but this will definitely not get rid of this problem. I have to tell you not to get discouraged, because from experience I know that it does not work right away.