Why bother with cardio?

Options
I have read numerous times that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I have also read that weight loss involves losing muscle mass along with the fat, which is bad.

Given all that, why bother with huge amounts of huffing and puffing on the cross-trainer? Can't we just eat healthy, lift some weights and jog a couple of times a week?

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What do you think jogging is? Jogging IS cardio. Cross training is just a more efficient way (less time, etc.).

Oh and after a while your body gets used to do the same thing, and you'll burn less calories. Mixing it up keeps your body/muscles from getting 'bored' and in turn you continue to burn more calories.
  • katyclev
    katyclev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jogging a couple of times IS cardio :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Can't we just eat healthy, lift some weights and jog a couple of times a week?

I think jogging a couple times per week constitutes cardio (it's more cardio than I do, that's for sure), but I don't mean to dwell on semantics.

I think the above is a solid plan.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How many of these threads can there be each week? 100? 200?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Given all that, why bother with huge amounts of huffing and puffing on the cross-trainer? Can't we just eat healthy, lift some weights and jog a couple of times a week?

Sounds good to me. Although, the jogging IS cardio....
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    well if you're exercising/eating properly you shouldn't be burning off muscle!! Plus exercise gives you what diet cannot: improved cardio and respiratory health. But, if you just want to diet and you're happy with the results then do it!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think the percentage is way off, cause I know that I have tried losing by just eating healthy many times and have never been able to. And weight loss itself, ya you could say that, but to do it correctly you want to build up some muscle along with losing the fat, or you are just going to be incredibly weak and skinny.

Just a quick search brought up these reasons that cardio is good for you:

•Weight loss
    •Stronger heart and lungs
    •Increased bone density
    •Reduced stress
    •Reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer
    •Temporary relief from depression and anxiety
    •More confidence about how you feel and how you look
    •Better sleep
    •More energy
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options

you mean the "why do I have to work to lose weight?" threads?
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well, your heart & lungs, first off, need it. Cardio heads off depression, because it releases endorphins (happy hormones) into your body. It also works to hep reduce blood sugars. You are absolutely RIGHT, exercise unfortunately is a sucky way to fend off obesity, and eating well is the BEST way to do it. However, you NEED cardio for other things!! Good luck to you.:smile:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Cardio= heart health

Sure skip if you don't want to be healthy but just want to lose weight
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that weight loss is 80% diet. At least it never has been for me. If I stop doing regular cardio exercise I gain weight. When I start back up I lose the weight and stay thin. I wish it was more diet because finding time to eat is not a problem. Finding time for exercise is.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    To get fit! Short on time, do a harder workout and burn about the same calories as a lighter workout twice as long.
    And I don't mind being able to eat more because of it either.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I haven't read a thread suggesting that cardio is redundant this week. You could prove me wrong.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight just by adjusting my diet. I barely exercise, and for a year, all the exercise I EVER did was a 15 minute walk with my dogs. Contrary to chicken little's predictions, I did not lose all my muscles, and I did keep on losing.

I now do elliptical because it's easier to create a calorie deficit by burning rather than restricting now. And it feels good to get all sweaty.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    this is definetly 80% nutrition. i tell ppl that money they are thinking about spending on an Heart Rate Monitor and a personal trainer, would be better spent on a food scale and nutritionist.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    well if you're exercising/eating properly you shouldn't be burning off muscle!! Plus exercise gives you what diet cannot: improved cardio and respiratory health. But, if you just want to diet and you're happy with the results then do it!

From what I have read on here the body needs to burn protein as well as fat when it is in a calorie deficit. That means that a certain amount of muscle is burnt with the fat. Some people can maintain muscle mass by weight training in a calorie deficit, but they are overweight to begin with.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    After I had my first baby I was only exercising. Didn't change my diet. Didn't lose a pound. My doctor told me if I wasn't going to change what I ate to not even bother with the exercise. I can't say I totally agree with this but he had a good point. I do believe food is the main contributor to losing. God I hope I spelled contributor correct :)
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    What do you think jogging is? Jogging IS cardio. Cross training is just a more efficient way (less time, etc.).

Oh and after a while your body gets used to do the same thing, and you'll burn less calories. Mixing it up keeps your body/muscles from getting 'bored' and in turn you continue to burn more calories.

Fair point, and all the people who have posted subsequently.

I intended to contrast 40 minutes jogging a week (my absolute max) with the cardio efforts I see people mentioning on here. 3 hours a week kind of stuff.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, your heart & lungs, first off, need it. Cardio heads off depression, because it releases endorphins (happy hormones) into your body. It also works to hep reduce blood sugars. You are absolutely RIGHT, exercise unfortunately is a sucky way to fend off obesity, and eating well is the BEST way to do it. However, you NEED cardio for other things!! Good luck to you.:smile:

This is a perfect answer :)
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I don't believe that weight loss is 80% diet. At least it never has been for me. If I stop doing regular cardio exercise I gain weight. When I start back up I lose the weight and stay thin. I wish it was more diet because finding time to eat is not a problem. Finding time for exercise is.

I reckon the 80-20 is a generalisation, but it is one which is widely promulgated.